Intending getting a Wine Package

Hello, we’re hoping to buy a wine package, 6 bottles, on a 7 nighter on Iona in August. Having read some adverse comments about drinks service being painfully slow with wine arriving after people have finished their main courses I was wondering what the advice is of those of you  who have purchased the package.

Way back they used to have a wee ticket book where the sommelier would tear off a ticket for each bottle, is that still the case? Also we’re looking at the Commodore’s package, with this can we choose the same wine every night or are you expected to take 6 different wines?

All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I had the package on 2 P&O cruises last year, on Arcadia in August and Britannia in November. We had the book of tickets and could have any wine we chose. 

Speed of service probably varies from ship to ship, we had no issues at the time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had the wine package on several occasions, the most recent being on Arvia in April and had a little booklet of tickets. Speed of service has tended to be good, but it depends on the waiters in question and I have had no problems. 

Yes, you could have the same wine each night if you wish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't even know this was a thing until last week - P&O don't seem to advertise it much. Thinking of getting one on our Arcadia cruise in August.

A couple of questions if I may?

Do we just ask the drinks waiter about it?

Do you have to get it on the first day?

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

I didn't even know this was a thing until last week - P&O don't seem to advertise it much. Thinking of getting one on our Arcadia cruise in August.

Thanks 

I think we got it from the place where they were selling the other drinks packages and as far as I know you don't need to get it on the first day because it is not a daily package.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Thanks 

1/ Yes

2/ No

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

I didnt even know this existed.

Does anyone know the cost and does it just include the house wine?

The Commodore’s Collection appears to include Chablis, Sancerre, St Emilio and similar, the cheaper option doesn’t look so good though.

There are two packages. One is the Commodore's collection and the other is the Captain's collection, both with the option of purchasing 6 or 12 bottles.

I have always rung P&O and purchased before we board, and a card has been in my cabin for me to hand to the waiters in the MDR which is the exchanged for a booklet of tickets.

In April I paid £134 for the Captain's collection (6 bottle option), but there has been a price increase on drinks since then, so I don't know what the wine package prices are now.

3 hours ago, Rustyman said:

Having read some adverse comments about drinks service being painfully slow with wine arriving after people have finished their main courses I was wondering what the advice is

Back in the days that P&O had dedicated wine waiters then I found a discrete tip when ordering on the first night ensured prompt service for the rest of the cruise.

But these days, if my ordered drinks don't turn up before my starter arrives, then if it is a cold starter I will sit waiting until the drinks arrive and if it is a warm starter I will send it back and ask that a fresh one be brought after the drinks have arrived. Both actions normally attract questions from MDR managers and usually prevent a re-occurrence.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, purplesea said:

There are two packages. One is the Commodore's collection and the other is the Captain's collection, both with the option of purchasing 6 or 12 bottles.

I have always rung P&O and purchased before we board, and a card has been in my cabin for me to hand to the waiters in the MDR which is the exchanged for a booklet of tickets.

In April I paid £134 for the Captain's collection (6 bottle option), but there has been a price increase on drinks since then, so I don't know what the wine package prices are now.

I believe that the current price is now £149 for this package 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2024 at 8:18 PM, Rustyman said:

The Commodore’s Collection appears to include Chablis, Sancerre, St Emilio and similar, the cheaper option doesn’t look so good though.

Can I advise that you wait until you board to purchase and that if you are wanting a particular wine or wines (sounds like you are) that you ensure that they have stock of them.  We were recently on Britannia and there were serious stock issues with many wines being unavailable, this also happened on Azura a few months ago too but was worse on Britannia a couple of weeks ago. I have photos of the wine list we were given in the MDR and there were so many asterisks indicating the wine was unavailable. 

12 hours ago, CruisingSarah said:

Can I advise that you wait until you board to purchase and that if you are wanting a particular wine or wines (sounds like you are) that you ensure that they have stock of them.  We were recently on Britannia and there were serious stock issues with many wines being unavailable, this also happened on Azura a few months ago too but was worse on Britannia a couple of weeks ago. I have photos of the wine list we were given in the MDR and there were so many asterisks indicating the wine was unavailable. 

Thank you. As an aside do you know what the savings are per bottle on the Commodore’s Collection, roughly? As if only a £ or 2 it’s hardly worth the hassle.

1 hour ago, Rustyman said:

Thank you. As an aside do you know what the savings are per bottle on the Commodore’s Collection, roughly? As if only a £ or 2 it’s hardly worth the hassle.

Yes it is definitely worth it as the savings can be considerable. For example I think the Commodore 6 bottle package is around £180 and the wines you mention I think the Chablis and Sancerre are about £42 per bottle. 
The main thing is to ascertain that the wines you like are in stock.  Fortunately for you the stock issues tend to be with the cheaper wines!! 

1 hour ago, CruisingSarah said:

Yes it is definitely worth it as the savings can be considerable. For example I think the Commodore 6 bottle package is around £180 and the wines you mention I think the Chablis and Sancerre are about £42 per bottle. 
The main thing is to ascertain that the wines you like are in stock.  Fortunately for you the stock issues tend to be with the cheaper wines!! 

Thanks again Sarah, I’ll follow your advice and check first.