Library on Princess ships

16 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

The Royal princess has (or had) a library. It was little but it was there. Nice and quiet. Lots of books on the first day at least. 

It still has. Photos from March 24.

1019_20240326_133508.thumb.jpg.5f41a6b378ac2dc3b996f6cdf232ad2f.jpg

1018_20240326_133455.thumb.jpg.72a409f7b0a5f220d0be0975aeb5e2ca.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

At some point libraries of physical books will cease to exist on ships and land.  None of us may be around to mourn their passing, or maybe we will. I’d say it has more to do with demand than revenue. Look around.  Bookstores and record stores are almost extinct. Who’d have thought that even 25 years ago?

Edited by BamaVol

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

At some point libraries of physical books will cease to exist on ships and land.  None of us may be around to mourn their passing, or maybe we will. I’d say it has more to do with demand than revenue. Look around.  Bookstores and record stores are almost extinct. Who’d have thought that even 25 years ago?

Holland America removed their libraries a while back, and then, due to the passenger outcry, reinstated them on a number of their ships. The Rotterdam, their newest pinnacle class ship, has a small but well stocked library with a number of comfortable chairs. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DE Solo said:

Holland America removed their libraries a while back, and then, due to the passenger outcry, reinstated them on a number of their ships. The Rotterdam, their newest pinnacle class ship, has a small but well stocked library with a number of comfortable chairs. 

Of course.  HAL and Princess service primarily an older clientele who are more reluctant to adopt new technologies. Following generations will be reading on tablets, phones, laptops and kindle devices.

Newspapers are dying across the country. But I still subscribe to one of the few that are growing in circulation. Why? The Villages Sun subscriber base in all retired boomers and older. It’s a rag, a biased mouthpiece for the developer, but I still want to do crossword puzzles, sudoku, jumble in pencil on paper. Younger generations are playing wordle and reading news on their phones.

Royal Caribbean’s two newest ships have no library.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DE Solo said:

The bean counters are at it.

5 hours ago, BamaVol said:

we'll take the kids out to Blockbuster tonight - can get one each, Ghostbusters of course, then to McD's then home for the night

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

we'll take the kids out to Blockbuster tonight - can get one each, Ghostbusters of course, then to McD's then home for the night

About 8 years ago, we were on a private tour in Florence and Pisa.  The driver took pains to alert us to a very recent historical relic around the next corner. I was expecting something maybe from the late 1800’s. It was a shuttered Blockbuster.

• Haha 2