OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JUNE 2024

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I'm going to need you and @DaKahuna to join us on one of our upcoming YC adventures:

Unfortunately neither of those dates work for me and DW 

We are on Seascape B2B 9/21- 9/28 & 9/28 - 10/5 and on Celebrity Solstice 4/9 - 4/25.  

Maybe next fall sometime.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Now in the twilight of our years we no longer find the destinations of any interest. Have discovered that there exists a charm, an idyllic beauty that exists from afar.

I could not agree more.  One of our favorites cruises is Alaska for this very reason.  The snow capped peaks and dense forest are beautiful to view but I do not think we would enjoy living in either of those environments.   Don't get me wrong, I feel the same way when I see all those beautiful pictures of major cities with their sky scrapers all lit us and looking beautify in the sun light or lit up at night, nice to look at, would not want to live there.  

If you have read any of my recent reviews of our sailings in the Caribbean you'll see we very seldom venture far from the cruise port, if we get off at all, but rather enjoy the quiet solitude of the ship while everyone else is ashore.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I also have the same itinerary booked so I will be very interested in your review. I've never been to DR nor PR at all whether by plane or by ship.  

It will be the first time for us at both of these locations as well. 

I've heard great things about San Juan, so hopefully it will live up to the hype! A good friend is from there so for one of the two times we're there, we'll probably do something less touristy that she recommends.

I'll be sure to share the experience with you guys as we enjoy them...but for us, next up is Alaska! (very excited about that...first time there as well and we have some amazing excursions booked, weather pending)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Unfortunately neither of those dates work for me and DW 

We are on Seascape B2B 9/21- 9/28 & 9/28 - 10/5 and on Celebrity Solstice 4/9 - 4/25.  

Maybe next fall sometime.  

Sounds good...enjoy your cruises!

Falls are the toughest for us as my son is pretty serious about football (for an 8 year old) and I coach his team, but we're squeezing in a 4-day cruise (Monday-Friday) on the Utopia of the Seas this September. 

Fortunately the season doesn't go too long so we're done by the end of October so we usually try to get in 2-3 between then and the end of the year.

I'm doing a solo cruise on the Celebrity Apex the week before Thanksgiving and then the wife and kids will join me for a cruise on the Sun Princess over Thanksgiving...looking forward to it!

Happy sails to you and DW...September will be here before you know it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Now in the twilight of our years we no longer find the destinations of any interest. Have discovered that there exists a charm, an idyllic beauty that exists from afar. Upon closer examination one finds disappointment around every corner. The tour guides, taxi driver guides, the people, would all trade places with you in an instant. Now our focus is ship, cabin, food, and treatment on board. Covid woke us up to our impending fates. Might as well "live rich than die rich" Dr. Samuel Johnson

I've found that in our rush to experience everything possible on cruises (FOMO as the kids would call it these days...Fear Of Missing Out), we often finish our cruises exhausted as a result.

That's actually one of the nice things about starting to get to the point where we've done most of the Caribbean ports (still need to do an ABC cruise + some of the ports only the smaller ships can visit)...we no longer feel the need to get off the ship unless we want to, and some of the best days are when we're on the ship and everybody else is out at the port.

I'm in no rush to see our kids grown up and moved out (or them no longer thinking I'm their hero), but I will enjoy being able to do longer itineraries when they do (i.e. Panama Canal, Transatlantic...a World Cruise bucket list journey).

Good on you guys for making the most of your retirement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I've found that in our rush to experience everything possible on cruises (FOMO as the kids would call it these days...Fear Of Missing Out), we often finish our cruises exhausted as a result.

That's actually one of the nice things about starting to get to the point where we've done most of the Caribbean ports (still need to do an ABC cruise + some of the ports only the smaller ships can visit)...we no longer feel the need to get off the ship unless we want to, and some of the best days are when we're on the ship and everybody else is out at the port.

I'm in no rush to see our kids grown up and moved out (or them no longer thinking I'm their hero), but I will enjoy being able to do longer itineraries when they do (i.e. Panama Canal, Transatlantic...a World Cruise bucket list journey).

Good on you guys for making the most of your retirement.

Travel is an experience one cannot get from books.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I've been extremely fortunate and blessed beyond what I probably deserve as an entrepreneur to be able to live what most would consider a privileged life now at the age of 41 (though we were on the brink of bankruptcy and my business failing when COVID started), but having been on both sides of things financially, I learned an extremely important lesson along the way: 

Money does not make the man and our worth is not determined by the number of 0's in our portfolio. 

---

I can tell you're a man of great worth and your kids had a very positive role model growing up. 

You should be very proud. 

Happy sails my friend, I'm rooting for you.

Thank you   God's speed,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We inform our children every time we travel that "we are off spending more of your inheritance."  They both just laugh and tell us "go ahead you've earned it." 

I, in my view as the 48yo (still a child), tell my parents exactly the same! 

It's all yours, enjoy it!

While watching my father and his wife happily crossing the Atlantic from Brazil to Spain past April in #Grandiosa.

Sadly they didn't get the YC upgrade offer though, I would be very much willing to force them to make a bid... 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We inform our children every time we travel that "we are off spending more of your inheritance."  They both just laugh and tell us "go ahead you've earned it."  

My wife and I worked hard and saved hard for 40+ years and thought we taught our children the same thing.  When our son passed in 2021, our daughter proudly proclaimed "I guess that means I get everything now". 

The following year, she explained to me that "She didn't ask to be born - it was her mother's and my decision to have her - and as such, it is our responsibility to support her financially".

Those two conversations helped us decide it was okay to spend the money that WE worked for.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

My wife and I worked hard and saved hard for 40+ years and thought we taught our children the same thing.  When our son passed in 2021, our daughter proudly proclaimed "I guess that means I get everything now". 

The following year, she explained to me that "She didn't ask to be born - it was her mother's and my decision to have her - and as such, it is our responsibility to support her financially".

Those two conversations helped us decide it was okay to spend the money that WE worked for.  

Yikes... I'm sorry you had to experience that from your own daughter. 

Enjoy retirement and all the things you worked so hard for!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Falls are the toughest for us as my son is pretty serious about football (for an 8 year old) and I coach his team, but we're squeezing in a 4-day cruise (Monday-Friday) on the Utopia of the Seas this September. 

Our middle grandson is in his senior year of college and is on the football team.  We've not cruised in September / October the last three years so we could attend his home games.  This year however, we decided to celebrate my DW's birthday at sea.  We will be going up to his college for his game the weekend before we sail.  

While I sometimes wish I could sail as often as it seems like you are doing, my wife is not as big a fan as I am and I have not been brave enough to even suggest a solo cruise to her.  We have started looking at doing shore based vacations and last November we went to Hawaii for a week instead of taking a cruise.  

14 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Happy sails to you and DW...September will be here before you know it!

Thank you.  We are both looking forward to it. 

Happy cruising to you and your family. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

While I sometimes wish I could sail as often as it seems like you are doing, my wife is not as big a fan as I am and I have not been brave enough to even suggest a solo cruise to her.  

When I first thought about doing a solo cruise, I felt guilty even asking. However, I got past that by offering a trade:

I would do a solo cruise and in exchange she could take a girls trip and I would take the kids.

Honestly - I'd love to do a 1-on-1 cruise with each of my kids, but at some point I think I'd be pushing the boundaries of what is fair so I haven't even brought that up (and probably won't).

---

Land-based vacations are great as well but we're not the type to sit still for very long so we'd get bored staying at a resort...a cruise is the best of both worlds for us. 

---

Thank you for the kind comments and enjoy your grandson's last year of college. I don't think my son is going to be big enough to play in college but I would love to get to watch him play at that level...maybe baseball.

Happy sails!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sharon_and_TC said:

There is a strong belief garnered from those that have had near death experiences that the exact opposite is true. We choose to come back and we choose our parents.

p.s. When one gets close to the “final curtain “ one gets interested in “ beyond the vail “.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

There is a strong belief garnered from those that have had near death experiences that the exact opposite is true. We choose to come back and we choose our parents.

I'm intrigued by this but can you offer a bit more depth here so I can get a full (or at least better) grasp on what you're talking about? 

My simple mind isn't fully comprehending it. 

9 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I'm intrigued by this but can you offer a bit more depth here so I can get a full (or at least better) grasp on what you're talking about? 

My simple mind isn't fully comprehending it. 

A brilliant start is Eben Alexander, MD. A brain surgeon who died and came back to life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"A brain surgeon who died and came back to life."

To be precise, Dr. Alexander developed bacterial meningitis and a medically-induced coma was initiated as part of his treatment. The fact that Dr. Alexander, a neurologist, characterized his being in a medically-controlled comatose state as resulting in "brain death" is, at the very least, problematic from a credibility standpoint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, no1talks said:

To be precise, Dr. Alexander developed bacterial meningitis and a medically-induced coma was initiated as part of his treatment. The fact that Dr. Alexander, a neurologist, characterized his being in a medically-controlled comatose state as resulting in "brain death" is, at the very least, problematic from a credibility standpoint.

Dr Alexander is just a starting point. Dr Brian Weiss, head of psychiatry Mt. Sinai Miami book “Many lives many masters “ is another.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

On 6/22/2024 at 2:01 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Dear Moz,

Of course you are right...but what fun is that ? 

The truth is (from my perspective) that for 50 years (from 20 to 72) we have been "peons". Cruising in two lowers on the inside (even a double bed was $100 more for the cabin and I was a tightwad). Finally the quote of travel guru, Ethel Blum, kicked into my head as old age is suddenly upon me, "If you don't travel first class, your heirs will".  I hope I didn't wait too long to complete all the cruises I have planned using up our nest egg in the few years we have left. Maybe my postings will goad some of my fellow peons in steerage to 'wake up' before it is too late.

Thanks for your post.

Speaking for DW and myself, your post above is well said and on point.  We are just approaching our mid-70s and have adjusted our lifestyle accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2024 at 3:47 PM, DaKahuna said:

Twenty something years ago I took my family on a lavish European vacation. One of my daughters - about 16 at the time - asked can you really afford spending this much??  I told her that I was not paying, to which she asked, well then who is? I told her she was! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 6/22/2024 at 5:20 PM, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

You are a man of much mystery and enlightenment.

I'm going to need you and @DaKahuna to join us on one of our upcoming YC adventures:

• MSC Seascape: January 18, 2024 (Puerto Plata, San Juan, + Ocean Cay, Yacht Club)
  • MSC World America: May 24, 2025 (Puerto Plata, San Juan + Ocean Cay, Yacht Club)

Either work - just let me know! 🙃

Note: I just realized both of these are the same exact itinerary...fortunately we choose our cruises for the ships and not the itineraries!

If the Seascape sailing is Jan 18, 2025 I'll be there!