Viking Rhine Getaway April 2025

mommawest1

We are 4 60ish yr old active couples going on our 1st cruise. We chose Rhine Getaway (A to B)in April because of its size, no children and great reputation. Although I have seen several posts, they are scattered and older. 

Want to hear from veteran travelers who have been on the particular cruise as to what are the absolute musts, your favorite meals, restaurants, excursions, plus those to avoid. We are planners and want to know the best excursions along with those we could skip or add on too. Thanks for your input. 

The Tupelo Crew

Posted (edited)

I last went on this cruise in 2022 and my review is here

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=687006 

And I've cruised on the Rhine several times.

As what is a 'must' for me might not be of the same interest to you, and vice versa, why not state what your interests are?

As it's your first river cruise, I'd recommend just going with the flow. Take the included excursions, look at the optional (extra cost) excursions and see if they are of particular interest, but doing a cruise is a full day and many people feel quite tired.

There's an optional excursion on day 4 to a restaurant in Rüdesheim. I've not been on it myself but feedback is that it's a bit touristy and that Rüdesheim is a small place so its easy to stroll there from the boat and dine in a restaurant that you choose and be among locals. And save money.

(but bear in mind that  there are traditional dishes as an option every evening plus unlimited wine/beer and one night you'll have a Taste of Germany with local dishes and beers. Already paid for in your fare.)

On Day 5 there's an optional tour to the Technic Museum. This is a short walk from the boat and it's easy to do on your own, there's a English language guide book and exhibits have English explanation boards. The Museum is plainly visible on Google Maps.

(see Day 3 of my Trip Report - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2939234-trip-report-rhine-and-mosel-discovery-viking-hild-25-april-1-may-2023

Day 7 is an included excursion the the Black Forest. I've been on it once, but I didn't go the next cruise which offered it . You drive to and through the forest and stop at a place where they make and sell cuckoo clocks, and there is a demonstration of  making a Black Forest Gateau.

Enjoy your cruise. I expect it'll be the first of many. Our first cruise, going with friends, was with Viking along the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam. We've now done 14 river cruises and are about to go on our 15th.

Edited by pontac
  • Like 2

Agree with pontac assessment. Use google maps to see how far some of the paid excursions are from the ship. Easy to enter location as Viking dock Vienna, for example, to Saltzburg. With traffic it can be a 2.5 hour commute each way. Viking buses are very quiet and comfortable. Ride up to the Black Forest was very scenic and I enjoyed the small hike we did. Skip the Rudesheim restaurant excursion! The food served to the group was inedible. While customers around us were ordering off the menu and getting fabulous dishes. Tiny town, go to the restaurant on your own reservation, you don’t need to be with the group. Ask Viking front desk to make reservations for you. Short pleasant walk. 

Be aware when description says “time on own” it’s very limited, they don’t want you to wander far from them. There’s nothing wrong with this scenario if that is your touring and mobility style. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions. Good to know about what we could skip and what we could do on our own. We are extending the cruise 2 extra days in Amsterdam, but at the mercy of Viking for picking our hotel. It will be during the Tulip season and would love any restaurant /activity suggestions. Can’t decide if we want to see the Anne Frank House (may be depressing)???

If you are going to be in Amsterdam at tulip season and you like flowers, I highly recommed checking out Keukenhof Garden.  You can take a bus to get there, or take tour.  It is capacity controlled with timed entry.  The flowering gardens are really beautiful.

• Like 1

If you are interested in the Anne Frank House, be advised you have to purchase tickets well in advance, and they are limited in numbers each day. 

Agree that a visit to Keukenhof is wonderful, even if you are not "into" gardening. I'm not, but ended up really enjoying the visit, There is also a small tulip museum just down the block from the Anne Frank House which give a quick over view of the tulip industry and its importance to the Dutch economy.  5 Euro entrance fee and worth it IMHO, especially if you don't make the trip to the Keukenhof. 

If Viking is still offering the WW2 tour in Colmar, I recommend it.

Regarding food - try  rijstafle - Very well known in Amsterdam  - it's Indonesian cuisine, basically a large number of small plates with such as items  curries, grilled, meats and vegetables and you make your own "rice bowl".  Best shared with with several people.  

@mommawest1 regarding  dinners in Rudesheim, have you seen the remarks and photo's about this in the Roll Call forum, here and following:

Rhine getaway Viking 2024 - Page 5 - Viking River Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Regarding Anne Frank House: I went decades ago (before it became a major tourist attraction). If you have a particular interest in Anne Frank by all means go, but otherwise don't bother.

If you want to see tulips, then Keukenhof is a must. It's only open during the tulip season ( 20 March - 11 May in 2025) and you're guaranteed to see more tulips than you can dream of. See  https://keukenhof.nl/en/

The Tulip Museum in Amsterdam is free to enter the ground floor where it sells everything to do with tulips, including bulbs certified for USA & Canada. https://amsterdamtulipmuseum.com/

Restaurants: all types at all prices. To get most out of Rijsttafel the bigger the party the better as more dishes are supplied. I took Mrs P and for just the two of us it was rather underwhelming 

https://www.amsterdamfoodie.nl/amsterdam-food-guide/indonesian-restaurants-in-amsterdam-rijsttafel/

There are some old traditional Dutch food restaurants, of which the premier is d’Vijff Vlieghen - which translates rather unappealingly  as the Five Flies - you can read about it and see the menu here - https://www.vijffvlieghen.nl/en

When in Amsterdam I like going an Argentinian steak restaurant. There are now many lookalikes, but the original, with cowhide seats, is Gauchos which has several branches around town. I love their tender flavoursome  Argentinian steak and of course their Chimichurri sauce and their all Argentinian wine list. https://www.gauchosgrill.nl/en

20240328_Gauchos-2.jpg

• Like 1