wait until we get there to make the final arrangements. Seems

odd to us. Since there are going to be at least 6 ships there on

April 12, Wednesday we would like to book with someone. We

have 5 in our group and we realize that daylight savings effects

only the ship, not Grand Cayman. Our ship arrives at 7am,

so we are figuring we should be able to do a 9am snorkel? Give

me your advice, who to try, and why- and is a 9am snorkel trip

realistic with tendering?:D

ive reaserched this subject for our cruise in may. we r going to go ashore and rent snorkel gear .the majority of the snorkeling in caymen is from the shore.ive been told the dive shops will rent gear and give u a map of several spots all real close(walking).the problem with the prepaid trips from the cruise lines r that they only offer one spot and at 29 to 39 pp its way more fun to do it yourself.have fun

We are a little nervous about snorkeling from shore with our children

and no one else (10,12,16). We all can swim, but the kids have

never snorkeled. I also have only limited use of my left arm

right now and I am not sure how far we would go out because

of me. We really want the snorkel experience to be a fun

and safe experience for everyone and that is why I was leaning

towards a tour group. Thanks for the advise though, because

if all else fails, we probably will snorkel around the shore. L.

we would like to book with someone. We

Captain Marvin does a really good job with snorkel trips. We used them when we were in Grand Cayman while cruising aboard the Veendam. Captain Marvin's does take reservations and I would recommend that you and your party do make reservations ahead of time. By so doing you will be guaranteed a spot on their boat. When we stopped at Grand Cayman it was very, very crowded and they did run out of spaces.

They will have a videographer on board and in the water with you. You can purchase a DVD of the trip and your experience at Stingray City. Captain Marvin does have a website, http://www.captainmarvins.com/. They also have a toll-free number for reservations which is 866-978-0022.

By the way ships operate on local time for whatever time zone they happen to be in so daylight savings time considerations shouldn't be a factor. Also Captain Marvin's is no more than a 2-3 minute walk from where the cruise ship passengers come ashore so doing a 9:00 A.M. trip shouldn't present a problem although I don't remeber what time Captain Marvin's first trip of the day leaves.

Hope this info proves helpful.

We are a little nervous about snorkeling from shore with our children

and no one else (10,12,16). We all can swim, but the kids have

never snorkeled. I also have only limited use of my left arm

right now ...

Snorkeling with a group with a good snorkel trip provider is a lot of fun and is a very safe way to have a fun experience. First, the good snorkel operators will have one person in the water with you (at least) and another person aboard the boat looking out for everyone as well. They wil also require that all snorkelers wear a flotation device, usually snorkeling vest.

I would not hesitate to go snorkeling with a good snorkel operator. Snorkeling on your own from shore can be fun but you must provide your own safety net. When we went snorkeling in Aruba one of the people along on the trip was wheelchair bound and the snorkel operator accomodated that person quite handily. I have seen the same thing happen at other times when one or more people were non-swimmers.

Let me say a word or two about snorkeling equipment. Your snorkeling equipment (mask, snorkel, fins & flotation device) is usually provided by the expedition operator and is includeed in the price. Now having said that I would buy and bring my own mask and snorkel. Having a mask that fits and a good snorkel will make the experience a lot more fun. There is nothing wrong with the equipment provided by the operator but it usually will be a utilitarian grade while the equipment you buy will probably be better. It's also sort of fun getting used to your own equipment by using it in your local swimming pool before heading out on a cruise.

Here's another thing to consider. If like me anyone in your party wears glasses then a mask with diopter corrective lenses lets you see as clearly under water as you do on land. The cost of the corrective lenses for a mask is quite reasonable.

BTW it needn't break the bank to acquire your equipment. We bought all of our gear on eBay for a fraction of what the retail cost would have been. If you need help or have questions about snorkel or SCUBA gear feel free to drop me an email at pilot70d@yahoo.com.

Here is a list of snorkel operators that have done an excellent job for us. I am sure that there are many others as well but we have experienced the trips offered by these operators.

BARBADOS - El Tigre Great operator. The best of the best.

ARUBA - Jolly Pirates Another great operator. They have vessels in many

different Caribbean ports.

GRAND CAYMAN - Captain Marvins Doeas a really good job and offers several

different trips per day.

TORTOLA - Ocean Adventures Classy party animals and still a first class

operation.

BONAIRE - Dive Inn Geared more for SCUBA but does ok for snorkelers

as well. Their boats are very spartan.

I hope this is jelpful and have a great day.

We do have our own masks and snorkels. I had some money

left over in my medical spending account from 2005- so I decided

to check if a prescription mask would be covered and to my surprise

it was. So I got me one (nearsighted -7.25) and one for my farsighted

husband and son. We have been told both ways on the ship issue and

the time. Both ways by Celebrity's own personnel! When we sailed

Princess-it seemed that the ship stayed on it's time from the port we left

because we never changed our watches. We are just worried about

missing our tenders. I will call Celebrity again and check on this.

Thanks again.:D

Sign up with Capt Marvin. They have a number of boats so should be able to accomodate your group easily. When you get off the tender, walk to your left down the coast road about 100 yards and Capt Marvin's Store/Office will be on the right.

Happy bubbles.

• 1 month later...

We used Captain Marvin's when we were in Grand Cayman. I made our reservations well in advance & the boat had only about 16 (if that many) as compared to the 100 (give or take some) through the cruise line. It was a great snorkel & stingray trip. If ever we go back, I will definately book with them!

• 1 month later...
Wanting to snorkel in Grand Cayman, but we have been told to

wait until we get there to make the final arrangements. Seems

odd to us. Since there are going to be at least 6 ships there on

April 12, Wednesday we would like to book with someone. We

Hi, We went to Cayman 2 years ago and we wanted to go snorkling with the Stingrays. Did alot of research before we left and decided to go with Capt. Bryan. Located close to where ship was docked. It was just fantastic.... Only about 16 t0 20 on the cattermaran. We passed some other boats that were packed like sardines... Ones offered thru cruiseline were really crowded.... These guys were wonderful. Had a family on board with kids(from a Disney Cruise...We were on Celebrity, Centruy) One was really scared but they helped her and she had a great time. She was about 8. It was really fun and relaxing. I can't say enough about how great they were and the cattermaran was really nice. We had to go on a bus for a short time to get to the cattermaran but that was the only time we were cramped. The stingrays were so gentle and beautiful. It was one of the best trips we took while on the cruise.... Check them out. We found him online. I wish I could remember more. But I do know we found him thru the Cruise Critic Boards... I hope you check him out. We made reservation with him way before we left for our cruise.

Archived