Amsterdam hotels pre-cruise: Mövenpick Hotel or Doubletree?

Janie1229

My sister and I are flying into AMS one day prior to our Viking Christmas cruise this December. I have seen recommendations for both Doubletree and Movenpick for good hotel options in AMS. Are they both about the same quality? Both located where we could easily walk around when we get there? I know we can't check in when we arrive at 6a !! but I'm guessing we can at least drop off our luggage and go find some COFFEE.... 

Also any recommendations for easy things to do in Amsterdam? My sister is not the most fit person and has had bilateral knee replacements, so it needs to be easy. Thanks!!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

My sister and I are flying into AMS one day prior to our Viking Christmas cruise this December. I have seen recommendations for both Doubletree and Movenpick for good hotel options in AMS. Are they both about the same quality? Both located where we could easily walk around when we get there? I know we can't check in when we arrive at 6a !! but I'm guessing we can at least drop off our luggage and go find some COFFEE.... 

Also any recommendations for easy things to do in Amsterdam? My sister is not the most fit person and has had bilateral knee replacements, so it needs to be easy. Thanks!!

Of course you can check in and drop your luggage and you may get lucky and they have a room.  We have had that before... but at the very least drop your bags and go.

We don't mind this becasue if we got the room we would be enticed to have a nap where we know ourselves and we tend to push through the entire day until 9pm before sleeping.  Early arrivals in Europe we always do this.

The Movenpick is right on the water, and just a hop, skip, and a jump from the train station, and about a 10 minute walk to Old Town.  It is a convenient location.  I don't know where the Doubletree is.

Edited by CDNPolar

The doubletree is right across from centraal station.  No hopping, skipping, or jumping required. 

• Haha 2

@Janie1229, I assume you booked directly with Viking. Is that correct?  In retrospect, I think you and your sister could have benefited by booking with a full service travel agent, especially since you've never been to Europe and this is your first river cruise.  I noticed you've posed several question in different threads.  I'll try to help you to the extent that I can.

I would recommend making arrangements with your airline for wheelchair assistance for your sister.  Schiphol is huge, and lines can be long as well as distances between terminals and gates.  Have you thought about how your sister will navigate cobblestones and getting on and off tour buses? 

I'd suggest taking a canal cruise (unless Viking is already offering one as part of your itinerary) if your sister is able to get in and out of a boat.  There are several vendors around Centraal Station.  There is a company called Tours & Tickets on the lower level of Centraal Station that offers a variety of tours in and around Amsterdam.  You can go online and pre-book and pre-pay for your tours, then just walk over to Centraal Station and show them your tickets.  Another option is using Viator.  

A lot of North American passengers have very early flights, so it shouldn't be a problem at all to book an airport transfer with Viking.  You won't be the only ones with early flights.  

Have stayed at the Doubletree 3x. Great location. After our first trip where we got to the hotel about 8 am but couldn’t check in until after 3pm I booked the room for the day before and told them I would be arriving the next morning. Showed up and my room was ready. Worth the extra $$ to me.

• Like 3