Trans Pacific 2026 - too early for Hawaii excursions?

We're looking forward to the Auckland - Vancouver in April 2026 on Discovery Princess, and I see a number of excursions already available on the islands, but I don't see anything yet in Hawaii.  We really want to go to Pearl Harbour, but we've spoken to others who have been there who told us some tales of traffic and delays getting back to the ship that make us reluctant to go independent and make our own way there and back. 

Two questions, then.  For those who have done the tour, how far is it from the dock and am I worrying too much about it; and do you know when Princess would be putting up excursion information for Hawaii?  We don't have an overnight in Honolulu, which makes the time there more of a concern.

Thanks, all!

Posted (edited)

The Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor and surrounding museums is an easy to trip to plan on your own.  You will be in Honolulu until late evening (usually 11 PM).

Yes, traffic can be horrendous.  You can take an UBER/Lyft or Da Bus is you are adventurous.  It is within 10 miles of the port.  

Plan you time around ordering tickets on 

https://www.recreation.gov/search?q=arizona memoriał

You will need to pick up your tickets one hour before the theater presentation time.  This is the only way to get on the boat that will take you out the memorial (commercial excursions do not include this). You can spend your hour going through 2 small museums.

I would say, order your tickets for about 10:30 AM. That means you would need to be at the memorial by 9:30....leaving the ship somewhere between 8:30 and 8:45 ish if you are catching the bus.

Once you are out there, you could purchase something like a day pass that will allow you entrance in to some of the other museums.  You could easily spend a day out that way.  

There are not many places to grab a bite but you are also very restricted to what you can take into the memorial.  There are a few for pay storage lockers.

https://www.nps.gov/perl/uss-arizona-memorial-programs.htm#:~:text=Pearl Harbor Visitor Center%2C National,fees and cannot offer refunds.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1