Koningsdam with Kids!

Hello everyone!

Just curious if anyone has recently taken their kids on the Koningsdam? What was your experience? Did the kids enjoy Club Hal?

We are looking at a longer itinerary on Koningsdam (10+ days) and have not experienced Holland America with our kids (ages 10,9,8) Just trying to gather information to see if this itinerary and line would work for our family! 

The only other cruise we took them on was a small RC ship and they really enjoyed that, but before I book I want to make sure I have some more information.  Anything helps, thanks!

I can't comment specifically on the Koningsdam with kids (we have sailed her twice without kids), but in May we were on the Zaandam with our two girls 5 and 8. 
They LOVED their first cruise. We did 7 nights to Alaska. They went to club HAL only twice. Each time they said they enjoyed themselves but whenever we asked if they wanted to go back they preferred to stay with us. 
What made them love their time was the other passengers and especially the staff. With HAL being primarily an older clientele, my girls felt like they had a ship full of grandparents who all seemed genuinely delighted in them. They are both very social and outgoing, so that may not be as enjoyable for more reserved kids. 
The staff treated them both like royalty. Every meal, every show, every interaction, they were so, so incredibly kind and lovely to them both. We were especially impressed by how all the staff would talk directly to them instead of through their parents. They always gave them their full attention, which we find rare in everyday life. The MDR staff in particular were fantastic. We did fixed dining and they got to know both of them and by halfway through the cruise our wait staff was doing magic tricks and leaving origami creations for them. Towel animals are mostly a thing of the past on HAL, but we had at least one every day for the kids. 

I think it really comes down to what you and your family value. Club HAL gets good reviews, but is small and didn't work as well for us since we prefer to stick together. Dressy nights could go either way, for some families it would be onerous, but our girls loved dressing up and were the Belle's of the Ball.

TLDR: Kids experience on HAL depends entirely on what they and your family enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the reply!

Our kids first cruise was also Alaska last Spring, and same experience,  they thought it was the best thing they have ever done. And actually same experience with the kids club, they went twice and liked it but just wanted to hang out with us. 

I appreciate all your information! Glad your girls had a great time!

We've taken two of our younger grandchildren (9 & 11 when they cruised) on the Noordam on separate land / sea cruises.  Both absolutely loved CLUB HAL and the specific independent excursions we booked for us (whale watching in Juneau, sled dogs and puppies in Skagway, and the Lumberjack Show (grandson) and ziplining (granddaughter) in Ketchikan.  When our granddaughter (11) came back from the first cruise gushing about it, her brother pleaded to be able to go, so we took him the next year and he loved it as well.  Now it's year 3 and we are going alone this time. . .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

Going to Alaska in August on the Nieuw Amsterdam with grandsons 6 & 9.  Are the ranger programs held in Club HAL?

When we've seen them, they were out on deck w/the Rangers who came on board or the Crow's Nest. It may vary by ship.

• Like 1