Volendam cabin temperature

We were just on the Volendam in a oceanview cabin on deck 1. We had no problem with the temperature. We were in Canada/New England and outside temps were not blazing like the Caribbean so that might make the difference!

While in South America we did have issues.  The cruise went from Antartica to tropical heat in just a few days so the system was definitely taxed.  Some cabins were hot, others were cold, ours dripped.  Once we sailed out of the transition zone it all started working better. The ship is due for drydock this fall and I hope they fix it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mailmama said:

We were just on the Volendam in a oceanview cabin on deck 1. We had no problem with the temperature. We were in Canada/New England and outside temps were not blazing like the Caribbean so that might make the difference!

Hello, on a side note, how was sailing the Atlantic.Even though I am from NewEngland, I haven’t cruised this far north. Rough seas, at all? Thanks!

9 hours ago, lovecruisingrn said:

Hello, on a side note, how was sailing the Atlantic.Even though I am from NewEngland, I haven’t cruised this far north. Rough seas, at all? Thanks!

Well yes it can be rough if there is a storm.  When and where are you going?  If you are doing the Boston to Montreal run you hug the coast then enter the St Lawrence seaway where it is usually much calmer 

Yes @shuconn we definitely had cabin temperature issues with our oceanview cabin 7086.  When we boarded the ship in Montreal our cabin was incredibly warm and stayed that way for the first two days.  After bringing it to the attention of guest services twice and to our cabin stewards twice the problem was not resolved.  It wasn’t until we reported the issue in the Navigator app “Tell Us How We’re Doing” feature did an engineer finally resolve the issue.  And resolve it he did, our cabin then remained Very Cold like 62F for the remainder of the cruise.  The thermostat in the room was useless as it never made a difference both when the room was very warm and when it was very cold.  It may have been due to where the cabin was located but we were not pleased.  This was related to our cabin only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Well yes it can be rough if there is a storm.  When and where are you going?  If you are doing the Boston to Montreal run you hug the coast then enter the St Lawrence seaway where it is usually much calmer 

Hi , yes, Boston to Montreal! Thanks for your response!

18 hours ago, shuconn said:

Has anyone had problem with inside cabin temperature on Volendam. I have seen some You Tube videos that say the cabins are very warm.

On any of their ships I find the rooms are always very warm. I keep it on the lowest possible temperature and I find the rooms warm. I guess it's me

1 minute ago, shadow 123 said:

On any of their ships I find the rooms are always very warm. I keep it on the lowest possible temperature and I find the rooms warm. I guess it's me

On the Volendam I called guest services and they provided us with a fan.  It made all of the difference 

• Like 1

Just now, Mary229 said:

On the Volendam I called guest services and they provided us with a fan.  It made all of the difference 

Yes you're absolutely right. When I did call downstairs they always took care of the issue. 1st by sending up to check the thermostat and if that couldn't be fixed they always gave me a fan which was very helpful.

There is a real problem regulating temperature around the ship.  We were on board in May and the temperatures in common areas were cold except for the Hudson Room which was very warm.  Our cabin  was ok though, left it at the lowest setting for comfort.

Thank you everyone for all the tips and feedback. Mr Boston, we are booked for the same cabin 7086. Glad to hear its possible to get a decent temperature in the cabin. Will definitely use the app. A You Tuber mentioned getting prompt service with app. Mr Boston, what else did you think of this aft cabin? We chose it for location and quick access to aft pool and buffet.

4 minutes ago, shuconn said:

Thank you everyone for all the tips and feedback. Mr Boston, we are booked for the same cabin 7086. Glad to hear its possible to get a decent temperature in the cabin. Will definitely use the app. A You Tuber mentioned getting prompt service with app. Mr Boston, what else did you think of this aft cabin? We chose it for location and quick access to aft pool and buffet.

We loved the proximity to the back deck which was quasi-private with easy access to the seaview pool, bar and lido restaurant.  The bathroom has definitely seen better days but the stewards kept it spotless.  The room itself was very well laid out.  It was our first experiment with a non balcony or Neptune Suite as we recently retired and don’t need all of the frills to which we’ve become accustomed. Just know that your room will be either very warm or very cold, there is no adjusting the temperature.  Not sure what a fan would have accomplished when it was very warm other than function as a convection oven!  

On 6/17/2024 at 6:09 AM, Mary229 said:

Lovecruisingrn, We didn't experience any really rough seas on either of the BOS-Montreal or Montreal-BOS trips. We were unable to dock in Sydney on the trip up due to high winds. They closed the outside decks for our safety. The stabilizers on the ship keep movement to a minimum. It's a great trip because the view along the coast is fantastic!

I was on the Volendam last week…Deck 3 Aft 3429…My stateroom was warm on embarkation day.  My cabin steward did have it checked out (or so I was told) and it did seem to get better during the night.  I also noticed the bathroom had issues staying cool.  I did have my own small portable fan, so I used it at night and was fine.

She is an old girl and due for some TLC.  I believe she’s scheduled for a multi-million dollar dry docking later this year.

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 4:10 PM, Mikeyto said:

I was on the Volendam last week.

She is an old girl and due for some TLC.  I believe she’s scheduled for a multi-million dollar dry docking later this year.

She is, partly in preparation for the 2026 GWV. 

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

14 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

She is, partly in preparation for the 2026 GWV. 

Based on what the hotel manager said a week ago while I was onboard, much of it will be to improve accessibility for those who utilize wheelchairs, scooters, etc..  The plan is to automate stateroom doors and doors to the outer decks, eliminate the raised thresholds.