Drink prices - what am I missing here?

Just been out for lunch today, and looking at the price of a glass of wine. Nearly as much as I’d  pay for a whole bottle in the supermarket, and much of that price is tax and duty. However, the extra cost covers the convenience of having a nice venue to enjoy my drink, and having someone pour a glass for me and bring it to me. Fair enough.

Just thinking back to the prices of a glass of wine on my recent Celebrity cruise. When I first started cruising, alcohol on ships was very reasonably priced as it was duty free. Have things changed, or is it that the cruise companies are happy not to pass on the benefits? 
Well, never mind, I’m paying for the privilege of having someone open the bottle, pour me a glass and bring it to me. But hang on, Celebrity aren’t even doing that, the ‘service charge’ is added on afterwards! Hmmmm!

I think that it's simpler than that: if a cruise line can make money off of something, it will try to do so. I think a fair number of casual cruisers -- who must be the vast majority of people who go on these ships -- are going to base their purchases based on a sense of FOMO on an element of a dream vacation, instead of engaging in a rational cost/benefit analysis that could save them thousands.

1 hour ago, David_S29 said:

I think that it's simpler than that: if a cruise line can make money off of something, it will try to do so. I think a fair number of casual cruisers -- who must be the vast majority of people who go on these ships -- are going to base their purchases based on a sense of FOMO on an element of a dream vacation, instead of engaging in a rational cost/benefit analysis that could save them thousands.

100%….i too have adopted this mentality but not always.  Sometimes the price just blows me away and when I think about it the FOMO goes away.  

The price of individual drinks on US cruise ships is kept very high to encourage passengers to buy drinks packages.

£95 a day for premium is still high (with my current 30% off deal taking it to £66 it is still more than I would pay) but not when a cocktail is priced at say £20 plus tip.

12 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Just been out for lunch today, and looking at the price of a glass of wine. Nearly as much as I’d  pay for a whole bottle in the supermarket, and much of that price is tax and duty. However, the extra cost covers the convenience of having a nice venue to enjoy my drink, and having someone pour a glass for me and bring it to me. Fair enough.

Just thinking back to the prices of a glass of wine on my recent Celebrity cruise. When I first started cruising, alcohol on ships was very reasonably priced as it was duty free. Have things changed, or is it that the cruise companies are happy not to pass on the benefits? 
Well, never mind, I’m paying for the privilege of having someone open the bottle, pour me a glass and bring it to me. But hang on, Celebrity aren’t even doing that, the ‘service charge’ is added on afterwards! Hmmmm!

Your Post seems to omit a number of important details:

1) At your lunch today what was the size of the glass and the actual cost?

2) What is the cost on the ship?

We don't drink alcohol but friends that do have told us that the price is similar and the glasses bigger.

The price in the restaurant also includes a "service charge" unless of course you don't leave a tip.

49 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

The price of individual drinks on US cruise ships is kept very high to encourage passengers to buy drinks packages.

£95 a day for premium is still high (with my current 30% off deal taking it to £66 it is still more than I would pay) but not when a cocktail is priced at say £20 plus tip.

the drinks packages are set at a price where the majority of passengers lose otherwise X wouldn't be selling them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thejuggler said:

Agreed and…it makes things quicker/easier if people have a drink package.