Istanbul Cruise Port location

Sydneysailer

We will be boarding the Viking Jupiter in Istanbul on 30 June and the documentation provided by Viking states the dock location as :

Yeni Yolcu Terminali Salipazari/Findikli

Meclisi Mebusan Caddesi Salpazar Liman Sahas 1 numara Yolcu Salonu Beyoğlu, Istanbul

When I google this location, it indicates this as the old port location which I understand is no longer operational and that Galataport is the dock that manages all ships. I would appreciate feedback as to whether the information provided by Viking is incorrect and that the ship will be docked at Galataport.

Thanks, David

How and when did you determine the correct location? We are leaving from Istanbul next spring but are staying in Istanbul first on our own, which means we are arranging our own transportation. I realize this is a year away, but obviously I need to arrange to the right spot.

I asked my husband if he recalled how we knew we wanted Galataport and not the old port, and he sent me this:

The full address that they give (Yeni Yolcu Terminali Salıpazarı Fındıklı Meclisi Mebusan Caddesi Salıpazarı Liman Sahas 1 numara Yolcu Salonu Beyoğlu, Istanbul) is more a description of where a thing is, ending in the city, before that is the name of the (large) “municipality” Beyoğlu (like “Brooklyn” in New York), there is a street (Meclisi Mebusan Caddesi), and a neighborhood (Fındıklı). The new terminal is a few blocks SW of the old one which was by Dolmabahçe Camii (Dolmabahçe Mosque), so a lot of the old description is still correct. The problem is that the description “Yeni Yolcu Terminali” (New passenger terminal) will probably tell a taxi driver where to go because the old location is closed which they should know, but Google is bogged down by lots of old formerly-true information, so you may have doubts (I certainly did). Viking could instead say “Galataport”, refering to the neighborhood Galata, then again, the neighborhood is now called Karaköy. The current one can be found by searching for Galataport, however, Google is not entirely wrong in thinking that Galataport is a shopping complex, so you might reject that option because Maps gives you very many irrelevant businesses in the area, and nothing that clearly says “This is the port!”. Streetview does not help, you don’t see anything looking like a port. That is because the terminal is underground, and you probably cannot see a ship on the other side of the massive street-level shopping center.

When they say that there are two locations and they won’t know until the last minute which one they are docking at (which could make you think “How do I get from one location to the other!”), the difference is a few ships’ lengths and not a taxi ride. The biggest challenge is getting from the street to the check-in point. One way is to find a bold cab driver who will just break all the rules and drive you right up to the location, but that is very unlikely (however, that is how we got in). I heard that more often, you get dumped at the street and have to walk forever to get in. I do not know where in that long façade on Meclisi Mebusan street the entrance is, but a sign saying Yolcu would be the right way to go. BTW if you ask someone and have a language problem, Turkish Yolcu is pronounced “Yole-joo” not “Yawl-coo”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We boarded the Mars at Galataport on 4/16/24 and after boarding asked the staff if Viking docks at any other location in Istanbul because the address provided was incorrect and were told no. We spent two days there on our own and took a cab to the port. The driver also wanted to drop us on the street and we insisted this is not correct and refused to get out of the cab. He finally asked a security guard who told him where to go and eventually we were dropped at the entrance to the terminal where Viking staff were waiting. Still a bit of a walk to board but the check in process was quick. 

• Like 2

Just to put this subject to bed....I contacted Galataport directly and they confirmed that the Viking Jupiter will be docked at Galataport. As carolinetodd notes, Viking needs to update their documentation provided to passengers so as to specifically state Galataport and address as the location of the port for embarkation in Istanbul.

13 hours ago, Sydneysailer said:

Just to put this subject to bed....I contacted Galataport directly and they confirmed that the Viking Jupiter will be docked at Galataport. As carolinetodd notes, Viking needs to update their documentation provided to passengers so as to specifically state Galataport and address as the location of the port for embarkation in Istanbul.

Putting up a sign saying "cruise port this way" in several languages would also be useful.

Turkiye has been very conscious of visitor comforts.  I wonder why they allowed this to side through?

Our cab driver knew how to get into Galataport, but once he was directed into the cavernous underground parking area, he had a lot of trouble finding where people embark.  We struggled with our luggage to find someone we could ask, and then struggled up an escalator to an elevator. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to described what the right place is.  But just to be sure, I would not let a taxi driver go before making sure you are at the correct location for embarking with luggage.  Hopefully signage is better now.  We were there in May 2022, and there hadn't been many cruise ship visits to Galataport at that point. It was not an easy embarkation, though the Turkish officials at least did a good job of checking us in once we found the right place.  

On 6/19/2024 at 3:14 PM, amtatom said:

Thank you @carolinetodd (and your husband) for such a thorough reply! And your insights as well, @mlamb1234. Still debating whether to reserve a car service or trust a taxi, which I’ve heard can be less than honest in Istanbul.

We used Efendi Travel from the airport to a hotel in Sultanahmet, and a taxi from the hotel to port.  Both were OK (except for the port complication I described elsewhere) athough Istanbul traffic can be very slow, especially around Sultanahmet. But the port shouldn't be bad if you're coming from the airport.  With Efendi you pay for the ride up front (by credit card) so at least you know you're getting what you agreed to get. 

Thank you everyone for your insight. We have almost a year to make plans. We also are unlikely to have other plans than embarkation that day, so that gives us time. We're young for Viking (in our forties) and light packers so a walk with our luggage doesn’t bother us as long as it's well marked. Hopefully the more cruise that leave the more taxi drivers and others will be familiar with process, have signs posted, etc.