Tenerife in November: Teide or La Laguna?

It looks like X is offering shore excursions to both Teide and La Laguna (among others) in Tenerife in late November '25. I'd love to visit Teide, but am somewhat concerned that vistas may be obscured by rainy weather at that time of the year. Has anyone been to both locales in November, and have any recommendations as to what might be the better choice?

Teide without any doubt.

And don't worry about the rain. It never rains at the peak of Teide. It can rain on the slope of Teide, especially on the north face (towards Puerto de la Cruz) but not on the peak. The clouds stay much earlier.

I recommend that you download an app that tells you the altitude at all times. You will see how it rises little by little as the bus progresses, from sea level to 2200. There is a plateau and you will cover several km. without uploading anything else. This is also where the cable car begins.

On my last visit to Teide I remember that we were caught in clouds driving down towards the West with a very curious effect because we went from having a lot of sun to being totally cloudy.

Oh.... and a Trivial question in case you get it on the boat. What is the highest peak in Spain?: Teide with more than 3700m. (and the second and third are Mulhacén along with Granada and Aneto in the middle of the Pyrenees with more than 3400m). It is an exam question for Spanish schoolchildren.

I leave you some photos that I took a few years ago.

1- Do not worry about clouds.

Definitely!!!

IMG_20180817_144646.thumb.jpg.bbca711dafdba4853a43b52967c95fc0.jpg

2- Gran Canaria ahead (I was about 1500ish metres over sea level in the picture)

IMG_20180817_140121.thumb.jpg.0a64cf0ebc37fe799285aa00ce4f3c80.jpg

3- And bonus.....

Before using Euro, this was most used banknote in Spain (1000 pesetas = 6,01 euro in 1998)

milpesetas.thumb.jpg.6db8892eedb897a8c4a9c56c228f54e5.jpg

and my picture

1535730455885.jpg.e047affa9f38040c717ec9f2b537ddde.jpg

• Like 2

This issue goes to the wisdom of booking excursions/tours.   The joy of many travel options is very dependent on the weather.  Booking an excursion, far in advance, means you are rolling the dice on the weather.  DW and I really like driving up to Teide, and we simply rent a car (within walking distance of the port) and drive ourselves.  We can stop, when we please, more when we please, and go where we please.  If the weather does not cooperate, we can simply change our itinerary (at any point) or even cancel or rental car.  

As to the weather at Teide, while I agree that it is usually going to be OK when you get near the top, getting to the top is also part of the fun, and when its raining, foggy, etc. it is not ideal.  I would also advise that if you do go to Teide, make sure to bring along some layers of outerwear (it can be quite chilly as you reach the higher altitudes) and comfortable footwear that is appropriate for some hiking over uneven terrain.

Hank

• Like 1

It doesn't look like either of the offered tours will allow visitors to ascend beyond Las Canadas. Anyone of the opinion that it's still worth a visit on one of these tours without being able to take the cable car?

About raining in Teide.....

There are clouds in the Ocean everywhere. Winds move them.

When arriving to Tenerife they reach a 3700m mountain and they cannot continue. It is the reason why it rains in Tenerife.

So....

- over normal clouds altitude it barely rains

- winds come from west/northwest to east/southeast. For that reason in the northern side it rains more (clouds get stopped in front of Teide)

- and for that reason, around Tenerife south airport it barely rains

How much does it rain?

I will not bother for this rain..... and it is not storm, just dropping water continuously if it rains

lluviatenerife.thumb.jpg.a172f4c43ec25fceb28a93b9640ef533.jpg

• Like 1

When I visited last time I was with my children. Youngest was seven and we didn't consider to go to telepheric.

The day worthed a lot even without climbing the peak. Mountainscapes and visiting the national park plus eating at El Parador deserves a visit

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 6:17 AM, David_S29 said:

excursions to both Teide and La Laguna (among others) in Tenerife in late November '25.

As others have mentioned, with a trip to Teide you will undoubtably be far above cloud line so blue skies and the sun beating down.

However the trip will realistically just be a scenic coach drive up a windy mountain road to park in a car park and then take in the views of the barren scenery - photo below taken in January.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3b731e81c872a81b0737727a1d4d9fb.jpeg

La Laguna on the other hand can be an interesting small and historic town to stroll around, but... it is 550m above sea level and has a far cooler and damper climate than the coast, so it could be far less pleasant in November than in Santa Cruz.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm personally much more interested in vulcanology, botany,  and geology than I am in picturesque strolls, so Teide it is. Thanks for your insight!

• Ride along the spine of the island to the Esperanza Forest, viewing the endemic flora and fauna of the volcanic island, with its pines and eucalyptus trees.

This is from Celebrity's website. Yes, I can't wait to be thrilled by the "endemic" eucalyptus forests of Tenerife! Sometimes I wish that the cruise lines would try. Just a little.

Edited by David_S29

On 6/19/2024 at 6:37 AM, alserrod said:

On my last visit to Teide I remember that we were caught in clouds driving down towards the West with a very curious effect because we went from having a lot of sun to being totally cloudy.

Exactly the same happened to us last time we drove over the mountain route to the north.

Bear in mind that you need to apply for a permit to get to the very top. Book well in advance if you're going to do this. But it is a worthwhile  trip even without the summit. Bear in mind that in November it will be cold up there. Even snow is possible. You'll need a jacket. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 10:21 AM, 9265359 said:

photo below taken in January

I think your photo shows snow at the top of Teide, as is pretty normal for January. We visit the island for three weeks annually that month and it is really odd to be sunbathing in the southern resort areas yet see the mountain with snow.