Queen Mary 2 - Children's Activities

CDN2

Hi All,

In what is now becoming a family tradition, my parents took me on my first TA crossing on the QE2 when I was young, and now I'm about to do the same with my daughter on QM2 in a few weeks time (Eastbound)!

Looking for insight on how to keep a seven year-old entertained.  Would anyone be able to comment on what kind of activities are available in the Children's Club, and child-friendly things to do outside of those times?  Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

CDN2

• Like 1

Are there any activities that stand out in your memory of your crossing(s) as a child that might still be available on the QM2?  That might be one way to inform plans!

You mention heading out “in a few weeks” eastbound.  If you are on the July 6 departure from New York, we may run into each other onboard…

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CDN2 said:

Hi All,

In what is now becoming a family tradition, my parents took me on my first TA crossing on the QE2 when I was young, and now I'm about to do the same with my daughter on QM2 in a few weeks time (Eastbound)!

Looking for insight on how to keep a seven year-old entertained.  Would anyone be able to comment on what kind of activities are available in the Children's Club, and child-friendly things to do outside of those times?  Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

CDN2

what an absolutely fabulous experience for you and your daughter!  I was considerably older before discovering the magic of Cunard!  I happened to be travelling with my friend and her 13 year old recently and here’s a couple of photos that were taken outside the children’s zone showing the types of activities on a short cruise, but the TA schedule may well differ…

Starlink internet now works brilliantly - may be worth purchasing a package and you’ll be able to stream films which makes for a nice afternoon entertainment mid Atlantic.  Check out the films available (likely in the illuminations but possibly the theatre) - there could be an option that works well for an afternoon too.  Some of the activities like line dancing can be fun - I don’t think there’s an age restriction but don’t quote me on that,  If the weather is good then a swim and sit around the minnows pool is lovely for an afternoon or two 👍

I think afternoon tea is fabulous and I’m pretty sure I would have loved doing that as a 7 year old - a grown up tea party! Take a lovely walk along the promenade and look for whales (we once got lucky in the north Atlantic and spotted one!).  Jigsaws and games (can’t remember what deck they are - maybe deck 2?) are readily available too.

But most of all, I would try not to worry about keeping her entertained, I’m sure she’ll happily enjoy every minute with you - so just relax and enjoy 😀🥰😀

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg

Edited by Sue-B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few more activities;

IMG_3650.jpeg.9dcb21b653c46dc5a431ff7615d811f8.jpeg

I’ve not done a TA with my 2 year old but we have done 5 trips on Cunard and the days tend to be pretty similar across the board. The staff are pretty good at tailoring activities to the ages of the children in the kids club. On my recent QA trip there were two older children in the kids club with my 2 year old but they adjusted things to suit everyone - the big kids had more difficult puzzles than the little one, my child had more help with art work etc. They even did a dragon painting together which I was amazed at. What kind of 7 year old wants a 2 year old to mess up their artwork! But these kids were lovely and the staff knew what they were about. 

Outside of the kids club which is realistically only an hour or so in the morning once you exclude lunch and getting ready for dinner you can head for a swim, sit and do a quiet activity while the grown ups get a coffee or take a stroll around the promenade deck. Afternoon tea is great for everyone. But there aren’t really that many child friendly things so if they are happy in kids club that it’s probably the best place to be. I couldn’t keep my daughter out of the kids club and I did feel a bit guilty about not spending time with her on holiday but she had a blast, I got to relax and she enjoyed all the one on one time at meal times. She had so much fun that when we got in the car at the weekend she announced that we were ‘going cruise ship’! Sadly we were only off to the garden centre and have to wait until October for our next cruise. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We have cruised Cunard on many a school holiday and the children, when seen en masse around the ship, often on treasure hunts or as pirates, all seem to be having a fabulous time.

Plus, when seen around the ship with family, out of 'Zone' hours, all are impeccably 'Cunard'ish' in behaviour.

A real pleasure to cruise with Cunard youngsters. 🙂

• Like 2

What a lucky young lady! I'm sure she will have an unforgettable time like her Mum/Dad? did as a child. She will be enchanted with sailing and as @Sue-B said there is also Starlink for movies. What a wonderful family tradition! I am taking my two adult daughters for a five-night sailing on QE from Sydney to Hobart before Cunard makes their last hurrah in Australia in 2024. I doubt they will ever get the opportunity in the future, so I want them to savour the beautiful Cunard traditions. I hope their behaviour will be "Cunardish" and they don't embarrass me!

Hi All,

Huge thank you to everyone for their insights!  I'll reply individually, too. 🙂

Cheers,

-CDN2

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 4:03 PM, vieux_carre said:

Are there any activities that stand out in your memory of your crossing(s) as a child that might still be available on the QM2?  That might be one way to inform plans!

You mention heading out “in a few weeks” eastbound.  If you are on the July 6 departure from New York, we may run into each other onboard…

Dear vieux-carre,

Indeed, we will be crossing together!  Feel free to send me a PM, we'll grab a tea (alas, I no longer drink anything stronger than coffee these days).

As for my last crossing as a child, that would have been around 1986.  Me-thinks offerings have changed slightly since then.  They did let me have a turn with the oars, IIRC... 😉

Cheers,

-CDN2

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2024 at 7:24 PM, Sue-B said:

what an absolutely fabulous experience for you and your daughter!  I was considerably older before discovering the magic of Cunard!  I happened to be travelling with my friend and her 13 year old recently and here’s a couple of photos that were taken outside the children’s zone showing the types of activities on a short cruise, but the TA schedule may well differ…

Starlink internet now works brilliantly - may be worth purchasing a package and you’ll be able to stream films which makes for a nice afternoon entertainment mid Atlantic.  Check out the films available (likely in the illuminations but possibly the theatre) - there could be an option that works well for an afternoon too.  Some of the activities like line dancing can be fun - I don’t think there’s an age restriction but don’t quote me on that,  If the weather is good then a swim and sit around the minnows pool is lovely for an afternoon or two 👍

I think afternoon tea is fabulous and I’m pretty sure I would have loved doing that as a 7 year old - a grown up tea party! Take a lovely walk along the promenade and look for whales (we once got lucky in the north Atlantic and spotted one!).  Jigsaws and games (can’t remember what deck they are - maybe deck 2?) are readily available too.

But most of all, I would try not to worry about keeping her entertained, I’m sure she’ll happily enjoy every minute with you - so just relax and enjoy 😀🥰😀

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg

Dear Sue B,

I was very fortunate to have a Grandpa who served in the RCNVR and a Grandma who didn't trust airplanes (heck, they were both born before the Wright Brothers did their thing :P).  The last crossing I took was to move to London for graduate school - there were many a raised eyebrow at someone under the age of 30 with a Gold pin, hehe.

Pictures much appreciated, and I had no idea about Starlink!  It's really that reliable now?!  Between that, the pool, Tea, and exploring the ship, it sounds like I'll be able to keep the wee-one from ever being bored.

Much obliged for all the insight!

Cheers,

-CDN2

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 7:10 AM, tacticalbanjo said:

Here are a few more activities;

IMG_3650.jpeg.9dcb21b653c46dc5a431ff7615d811f8.jpeg

I’ve not done a TA with my 2 year old but we have done 5 trips on Cunard and the days tend to be pretty similar across the board. The staff are pretty good at tailoring activities to the ages of the children in the kids club. On my recent QA trip there were two older children in the kids club with my 2 year old but they adjusted things to suit everyone - the big kids had more difficult puzzles than the little one, my child had more help with art work etc. They even did a dragon painting together which I was amazed at. What kind of 7 year old wants a 2 year old to mess up their artwork! But these kids were lovely and the staff knew what they were about. 

Outside of the kids club which is realistically only an hour or so in the morning once you exclude lunch and getting ready for dinner you can head for a swim, sit and do a quiet activity while the grown ups get a coffee or take a stroll around the promenade deck. Afternoon tea is great for everyone. But there aren’t really that many child friendly things so if they are happy in kids club that it’s probably the best place to be. I couldn’t keep my daughter out of the kids club and I did feel a bit guilty about not spending time with her on holiday but she had a blast, I got to relax and she enjoyed all the one on one time at meal times. She had so much fun that when we got in the car at the weekend she announced that we were ‘going cruise ship’! Sadly we were only off to the garden centre and have to wait until October for our next cruise. 

Dear TacticalBanjo (full marks for the handle!),

You bring up a very interesting point.  My daughter will be a few months over 7.  Perhaps it might be best to ask she joins the 8-12 group in the Kid's Club?  It sounds like your daughter had an amazing time, and that helps sooth a lot of pre-crossing jitters for someone introducing a kid to her first ocean-liner!

Cheers,

-CDN2

• Like 1

On 6/20/2024 at 7:27 AM, Victoria2 said:

We have cruised Cunard on many a school holiday and the children, when seen en masse around the ship, often on treasure hunts or as pirates, all seem to be having a fabulous time.

Plus, when seen around the ship with family, out of 'Zone' hours, all are impeccably 'Cunard'ish' in behaviour.

A real pleasure to cruise with Cunard youngsters. 🙂

Dear Victoria2,

You had me at treasure hunts and pirates :D.  Heck, I may just try and join in the fun!

Cheers,

-CDN2

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

What a lucky young lady! I'm sure she will have an unforgettable time like her Mum/Dad? did as a child. She will be enchanted with sailing and as @Sue-B said there is also Starlink for movies. What a wonderful family tradition! I am taking my two adult daughters for a five-night sailing on QE from Sydney to Hobart before Cunard makes their last hurrah in Australia in 2024. I doubt they will ever get the opportunity in the future, so I want them to savour the beautiful Cunard traditions. I hope their behaviour will be "Cunardish" and they don't embarrass me!

Dear Maggielou362,

Some traditions are worth preserving!  This is a more of a Daddy-Daughter adventure (and Grandpa, Grandma, and a rather large extended family in the UK experience), but I'm sure it will make the same kind of lasting impression I was left with when my own folks treated me to the same.

The Australian experience sounds amazing, especially the stop in Tasmania!

If there behaviour is not 'Cunardish', never forget, parents have an instinctual talent to embarrass their progeny into line that children do not realize until it's too late. 😄

Cheers,

-CDN2

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CDN2 said:

Dear TacticalBanjo (full marks for the handle!),

You bring up a very interesting point.  My daughter will be a few months over 7.  Perhaps it might be best to ask she joins the 8-12 group in the Kid's Club?  It sounds like your daughter had an amazing time, and that helps sooth a lot of pre-crossing jitters for someone introducing a kid to her first ocean-liner!

Cheers,

-CDN2

Be prepared for them not to be flexible about changing rooms. I asked if it was possible for me to send my only just 2 year old into the night nursery with the under 2s instead of letting her stay up watching movies and they said no. Maybe there is some sort insurance or resourcing issue? But the staff all have experience with kids of various ages and will be able to tailor the experience to your daughter. 

• Like 1