2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

FYI only on GS, go to the official website and check/verify that the specific ship is covered, included (I believe the NCL fleet are) - purchase & download the eSim on your device (newer iPhone and Android, factory/carrier-unlocked should support additional eSims - and set up the App to manage the account.  

Once the ship has sailed out into int'l water and/or at least 30+ minutes to 1 hour or more from port, and the roaming cellular services is turned ON, you should be able to pick-up the 4G LTE signal (and, it should say GigSky on the top menu bar/home screen while idle)  Be sure roaming is turned on and you should be good to go, make sure your primary sim is OFF, but do not enable Airplane Mode & turn off WiFi.  A "carrier" update might need to be downloaded, install and the device rebooted, then you are good & ready to go online.  Do check your usage on the App every now & then as there is no meter when you "exit" by turning on Airplane mode to stop data traffic.  

The first time you do this while at sea, the eSim is fully activated - there isn't a way to check or verify that it will work, or not, until you sail.  To be cautious, you can buy just 1GB to try it first, then top-off with either 3GB or 5GB, and add more if necessary.  Each user is different on how much data is needed for X number of days at sea, this isn't a day pass nor is it unlimited, be careful about streaming but for basic online email, news, weather, messaging and calls using Apps, etc. - I now consider this a good alternative solution to Starlink, especially how bad it is on NCL ships.  It is less congested and faster than, if not the same speed as Starlink at most times.  

For our recent NE/C 9 nights cruise, we only brought 2 days worth of Voom day pass plus the 3GB prepaid GS data, since whenever we're docked in ports, our data cost is covered & included, no roaming fees for 4G and 5G.  

Drop over to the Liberty thread/post with more questions.  

Thanks for the advice, Henry. I have already been to the website and watched a good explanation on a YouTube video but still didn't know about the GB aspect. Good idea to start with 1GB and then top off if it works well. With the TA being so port intensive the first 9 days, I was planning on just using my phone in port, since my data is also included in my plan, and limping along on the ship with the provided minutes once on the crossing. But I am someone who buys unlimited, turns my phone on wifi as soon as data drops after embarkation and then never turns it off again. And to be honest, I have never had an issue with NCL wifi on any cruise, anywhere. Just lucky I guess (I don't stream, just use it basically to communicate with who I am traveling with). I do post a lot on socials and prefer to do it late at night on the ship vs in port. 

Thanks again...your tech talks are usually way over my head but I understand this one, LOL.

• Like 1