FINAL BOARDING TIME - is it the latest to arrive to port? How late can I be?

Posted (edited)

Hey guys!
It's our first cruise tomorrow and we were allocated arrival time 13:30 and final boarding time 16:30 at Berth 46/47.
What is the latest time we can arrive?
We have a birthday party in the morning and what to enjoy it as much as possible 🙂
Thanks!

Edited by mandarin_b

• mandarin_b changed the title to FINAL BOARDING TIME - is it the latest to arrive to port? How late can I be?
Posted (edited)

Hi  you can board at 4:30 but if I was you I would get there about 4:00 or a bit earlier so you can sort car parking and get your suitcases on board, then on to check-in to give you a bit of time so not rushing. enjoy your cruise and have a good time 😀

Edited by solentsam
  • Like 1

I suppose it depends on what you most want to do, party or cruise. I have no idea where you live but the thought of leaving it to the last minute fills me with dread. No-one can accurately predict arrival time, no matter how you travel to Southampton docks. If your boarding time is 13:30, I would not want to arrive much later than that. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I suppose it depends on what you most want to do, party or cruise. I have no idea where you live but the thought of leaving it to the last minute fills me with dread. No-one can accurately predict arrival time, no matter how you travel to Southampton docks. If your boarding time is 13:30, I would not want to arrive much later than that. 

yeah, normally I would try to get there as early as possible, but we won't be able to take friends on a cruise, so we have to take some risk...

Remember that Southampton is due to be very busy this weekend with the Isle of Wight Festival on, and also 4 cruise ships are in port tomorrow. Add on the usual weekend traffic etc, and it could take a while to get thru.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

Just now, Angel57 said:

Remember that Southampton is due to be very busy this weekend with the Isle of Wight Festival on, and also 4 cruise ships are in port tomorrow. Add on the usual weekend traffic etc, and it could take a while to get thru.

Enjoy your cruise.

that's a very good point, thank you!

7 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

I'd give my right arm for a 1.30pm boarding 😆 

And if you did - how would you carry your cases?😂

• Haha 2

I think we are on the same cruise. It's also our first time with P&O, and we were given a boarding time of 15:45. 😞 Wish we could swap our boarding times! 

Needless to say that we will be there no later than 3pm as we absolutely do not want to miss the ship! 

52 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

I think we are on the same cruise. It's also our first time with P&O, and we were given a boarding time of 15:45. 😞 Wish we could swap our boarding times! 

Needless to say that we will be there no later than 3pm as we absolutely do not want to miss the ship! 

sorry that they don't have an option to swap boarding times, I would help you 😞

Posted (edited)

I’d definitely leave the party earlier to guarantee getting to the port in very good time with, as others have said, the busy roads. Plus any other factors en route that can affect journey times. Two of our friends who were meant to join us on our cruise last month visited some family not too far from Southampton on the day of boarding but left it too late when leaving the house, got so caught up in traffic they sadly did not make the ship. I hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by Camberley

You will be mixing directly with Isle of Wight traffic aiming to get to Ocean Terminal. I have known it take an hour from West Quay car park to Town Quay a 10 min walk due to grid locked traffic. Any Southampton regulars will advise traffic  can be unpredictable especially on days with more than a couple of ships in port and factor in Isle of Wight festival. It’s your choice at the end of the day but If you miss the ship onward travel to meet at the next port will be at your own expense. You couldn’t’ t claim  on your travel insurance either. Mine is with a Nationwide and there is a clause about leaving home in good time to avoid being late.