Any tips on securing airfare to Puerto Rico?

tallgirl97

I'm looking at a cruise that departs from Puerto Rico in March 2025. The cruise itself looks great, price is reasonable - the only sticking point is getting there. I can find a good one-way ticket from DTW to PR, but flying home on the date we would disembark is 3x more expensive. 

Just wondering if anyone who's cruised from Puerto Rico before has any tips to share, other than tacking days onto the end of the trip (which we don't want to do because we're traveling during a school break)? Any idea of what historical flight prices have looked like, when the sweet spot to purchase them is, etc.? Or am I just out of luck, and flying home from the island the same day a cruise ship disembarks is going to be expensive, no matter how you look at it?

Prices will always be higher, when they know a cruise is disembarking and spring break. These days one does not seem to save money booking a round trip, try one ways each way maybe different airlines. 

If really end up having to stay until next day, Sheraton by Carnival pier is walkable with luggage and offers day room, or luggage storage  until room ready.  

On a side note there is a private Segway tour right across from CVS that is awesome and easy to do. Take the tour that goes to fort- no uphill climb. (pick the real segway not scooter)

segwaytourspr dot com

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, tallgirl97 said:

I'm looking at a cruise that departs from Puerto Rico in March 2025. The cruise itself looks great, price is reasonable - the only sticking point is getting there. I can find a good one-way ticket from DTW to PR, but flying home on the date we would disembark is 3x more expensive. 

Just wondering if anyone who's cruised from Puerto Rico before has any tips to share, other than tacking days onto the end of the trip (which we don't want to do because we're traveling during a school break)? Any idea of what historical flight prices have looked like, when the sweet spot to purchase them is, etc.? Or am I just out of luck, and flying home from the island the same day a cruise ship disembarks is going to be expensive, no matter how you look at it?

Try Royals Air2Sea. Look at both round trip and two oneway flights.  DTW to PR is not international, international is usually the best savings on Air2Sea. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I second looking at flights the next day.  We've done that in Florida before.  Get a hotel, maybe do some sightseeing, and you can still save money.

Doing the same thing for Florida as well. Saving almost 200$/pp 

• Like 1