Are the new solo-category rooms really a bargain?

On 6/23/2024 at 3:11 PM, julig22 said:

It isn't until after final payment that the pricing for the "regular" double-occupancy cabins seems to fall to lower than the solo pricing. And by then the limited solo cabins are sold out. For me, FCC is nearly as good as a price reduction prior to final payment, as I still have future plans with NCL.

That was my experience on Getaway in April.  I booked a solo cabin and got a good deck & location.  However, about 3 wks prior to sailing, cabin prices really went down.  Because category IT (my solo cabin) was sold out (limited number, as you say), they could not give me FCC for the drop.  However, other "regular" cabins were a different story.  The guest could apply for the price drop in the form of FCC as long as that category is available.  I lost out on FCC (however, the solo pricing upfront was very decent).

I had another experience with an upcoming Bliss booking in a "solo" inside.  There were no solo ocean views or balconies left when I booked.  Now that sailing is on double latitude points but when I called to have that added to my booking I was turned down.  Why?  Because there were no solo insides left to "base the extra points on."

Luckily, later on Bliss prices for solos opened up and I was able to book a regular Oceanview at solo price as well as qualifying for double latitude points. Insides were also available. 

On the charts for each deck where they show the number of a particular category cabin, you will see solo cabins listed and "1" is most common.

One benefit to the designated solo cabins is more cabin categories are eligible.  Usually when a cabin is repriced for one person it's often an inside only.  This way one can book a nice balcony upfront designated as "solo" with a good discount.  

Kudos to NCL for expanding options for solos on top of the popular studios.

Doesn't matter to me but the "solo" cabins also enjoy studio lounge privileges.  Seems important to many guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1