Ninjacat123 and family travel to Tokyo and Kyoto - LIVE land trip June 28 to July 7, 2024!!​🗾​

ninjacat123

On 7/3/2024 at 7:43 AM, ninjacat123 said:

We ordered Ala carte but there was an option for omakase (chefs choice) starting at $94.00/person. Service was great.IMG_7133.thumb.jpeg.be5d096fa424232cc2dc74521d5e34b3.jpegIMG_7135.thumb.jpeg.108bf7f74fd6f5e1e45b67ff2f4b65ee.jpegIMG_7136.thumb.jpeg.70f4d75d6b5bc8e0c75b2054fc69fc89.jpegIMG_7137.thumb.jpeg.35519c8d727e03a9825f315603ae2ba4.jpeg

Looks fantastic, especially the eel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Looks fantastic, especially the eel.

All top notch!  The best sushi we have ever eaten and that includes Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills served by Matsuhisa at his sushi bar before he blew up and became huge and his many restaurants.

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

@SDPadreFan I have a note in my calendar to ask you about something regarding my upcoming Carnival Miracle cruise from London on June 8, 2025.  Unfortunately I didn't write down what that "something" was🤣.  Do you remember? TIA!

On 7/15/2024 at 7:22 AM, ninjacat123 said:

@SDPadreFan I have a note in my calendar to ask you about something regarding my upcoming Carnival Miracle cruise from London on June 8, 2025.  Unfortunately I didn't write down what that "something" was🤣.  Do you remember? TIA!

Don't remember unless it was about when school lets out for the summer in England. The roads to Dover can turn into a real nightmare on that first weekend as Brit's flock to the Dover Ferries for Holiday (vacation).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 8:39 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Forgot to mention that before my spa time this morning I drank a fermented milk drink provided by the hotel at certain hours. Tastes kinda like an Orange Julius👍😁IMG_7148.thumb.jpeg.5a30c05d9b7186703c8e96db3cdfbc13.jpegIMG_7147.thumb.jpeg.9b76c6b02c2338f345894b7a4c9e7295.jpeg

I'm loving your updates... we'll be in Japan at the end of the month, and I'm getting very excited seeing your family's amazing experiences. 

One note on the cultured milk beverage: this is Yakult, which is super popular. For decades, it was sold door to door by saleswomen on bikes. Since the 70's they've owned one of the two Tokyo baseball teams, the Yakult Swallows. 

image.thumb.png.a9359d3a356934ca937de7825adb87a0.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I'm loving your updates... we'll be in Japan at the end of the month, and I'm getting very excited seeing your family's amazing experiences. 

One note on the cultured milk beverage: this is Yakult, which is super popular. For decades, it was sold door to door by saleswomen on bikes. Since the 70's they've owned one of the two Tokyo baseball teams, the Yakult Swallows. 

image.thumb.png.a9359d3a356934ca937de7825adb87a0.png

Awesome!! Thanks for the info 👍😁

@ninjacat123, love to follow along on your trips! We are doing the Med cruise this October with the same itinerary that you did last year, staying in Rome for 2 days prior.  I know you did carry-on only and was wondering if you had any tips for being able to do this? Did you do laundry on the ship? My husband and I are thinking of attempting this and would appreciate any ideas you can offer. Thanks!

Edited by mimi1965
  • Thanks 1

Thank you mimi1965!! I’m so excited for you and your husband. That trip is our favorite so far (Japan a very close second) and you two will love it!! Yes, we utilized the laundry service (included in our Platinum benefits, but I’d pay for it if needed) especially for my husband. I brought a lingerie laundry bag which helped keep my stuff from getting lost and beat up too much in Carnival’s machines. Carry on and a Temu travel backpack made our two weeks traveling very doable. Keep shoes to a minimum. Wear sneakers on the plane, pretty flat sandals for around the pool and with casual dinner outfits and a pair of dressy shoes for nice dinner wear. I wore my rose gold Aerosoles (very comfortable) when I wanted to be a little more glam. I feel pictures and people generally remember what you wear from the waist up, so think different colored tops that work with a neutral bottom. I roll everything (less wrinkles and more compact) so first try rolling up a dress and if it’s a big ball, maybe think of a dress that rolls up tighter. Going carry on is the way to go, especially with international travel👍😁IMG_7893.thumb.jpeg.57eacfaad3bd501480e650950b07e667.jpegIMG_7894.thumb.jpeg.a839c0fe0f25eeb4f646c5d7e364c6eb.jpegIMG_7895.thumb.jpeg.3a8076db9569238ecce5afd4bd9f5b3b.jpeg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Thank you mimi1965!! I’m so excited for you and your husband. That trip is our favorite so far (Japan a very close second) and you two will love it!! Yes, we utilized the laundry service (included in our Platinum benefits, but I’d pay for it if needed) especially for my husband. I brought a lingerie laundry bag which helped keep my stuff from getting lost and beat up too much in Carnival’s machines. Carry on and a Temu travel backpack made our two weeks traveling very doable. Keep shoes to a minimum. Wear sneakers on the plane, pretty flat sandals for around the pool and with casual dinner outfits and a pair of dressy shoes for nice dinner wear. I wore my rose gold Aerosoles (very comfortable) when I wanted to be a little more glam. I feel pictures and people generally remember what you wear from the waist up, so think different colored tops that work with a neutral bottom. I roll everything (less wrinkles and more compact) so first try rolling up a dress and if it’s a big ball, maybe think of a dress that rolls up tighter. Going carry on is the way to go, especially with international travel👍😁IMG_7893.thumb.jpeg.57eacfaad3bd501480e650950b07e667.jpegIMG_7894.thumb.jpeg.a839c0fe0f25eeb4f646c5d7e364c6eb.jpegIMG_7895.thumb.jpeg.3a8076db9569238ecce5afd4bd9f5b3b.jpeg

We are very excited for this trip! I have gone back to your trip report and have noted restaurants, etc. that you have recommended so that was super helpful. Thanks so very much again and I will make good use of your packing tips as well! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mimi1965 said:

We are very excited for this trip! I have gone back to your trip report and have noted restaurants, etc. that you have recommended so that was super helpful. Thanks so very much again and I will make good use of your packing tips as well! 

A few more thoughts on packing: the ship will have a hair dryer and possibly where you are staying in Rome as well.  I just packed a round brush to smooth out "crazy hair". I have used packing cubes, rolling my dresses in one cube and rolling tops and bottoms in another cube.  That keeps things more organized but I didn't do that in Japan and just took out what I needed for the day then rolled it back up after I used it. See which way works best for you. Comfortable shoes for walking through cobblestone streets is very important.  Make sure you both have broken in sneakers and use the Foot Glide before you put on socks.  I didn't have a single blister and we walked a lot. Get AirTags for your carry on in case the airline gate checks your bags (ugh) and at least you can know where they are. We put an AirTag in each of our little stretch pockets where I usually put underwear and socks.

If you are thinking of a special place for dinner, like La fata ignorante in Rome (sooo yummy!!) make a reservation now.

As you noticed in my review, I booked almost all of our excursions either through a direct ticket through the place (like the Acropolis) or through TripAdvisor.  If you need help with a specific place, let me know and I'll look through my notes.

Let me know if you have questions.  Preparation is key to having a fantastic trip!!😺

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

A few more thoughts on packing: the ship will have a hair dryer and possibly where you are staying in Rome as well.  I just packed a round brush to smooth out "crazy hair". I have used packing cubes, rolling my dresses in one cube and rolling tops and bottoms in another cube.  That keeps things more organized but I didn't do that in Japan and just took out what I needed for the day then rolled it back up after I used it. See which way works best for you. Comfortable shoes for walking through cobblestone streets is very important.  Make sure you both have broken in sneakers and use the Foot Glide before you put on socks.  I didn't have a single blister and we walked a lot. Get AirTags for your carry on in case the airline gate checks your bags (ugh) and at least you can know where they are. We put an AirTag in each of our little stretch pockets where I usually put underwear and socks.

If you are thinking of a special place for dinner, like La fata ignorante in Rome (sooo yummy!!) make a reservation now.

As you noticed in my review, I booked almost all of our excursions either through a direct ticket through the place (like the Acropolis) or through TripAdvisor.  If you need help with a specific place, let me know and I'll look through my notes.

Let me know if you have questions.  Preparation is key to having a fantastic trip!!😺

Yes, AirTags have already been purchased for our bags and I will definitely reach out to you if I have any more questions. Thanks so much again! 🙂

• Like 1

Ninjacat123,

Can you elaborate how you purchased your Suica card and how it worked with your smartphone? Did you get it before you went to Japan or upon landing at Haneda? Also, if using a smartphone, can the transaction be done totally online or do you need a physical card? We are traveling to Japan next March. How soon in advance did you get it. I’ve read many explanations but I still can’t figure it all out. I also need to check with my credit card if they charge a cash advance fee or if it is just a regular transaction to put money on the card. Our credit card does not charge foreign transaction fees but do realize the monetary conversion will be in effect.

I've read through your review. Thank you for sharing with us.

Just now, Pearl64 said:

Ninjacat123,

Can you elaborate how you purchased your Suica card and how it worked with your smartphone? Did you get it before you went to Japan or upon landing at Haneda? Also, if using a smartphone, can the transaction be done totally online or do you need a physical card? We are traveling to Japan next March. How soon in advance did you get it. I’ve read many explanations but I still can’t figure it all out. I also need to check with my credit card if they charge a cash advance fee or if it is just a regular transaction to put money on the card. Our credit card does not charge foreign transaction fees but do realize the monetary conversion will be in effect.

Hi Pearl64!  Thanks for reading my review!! Yes, the Suica was a bit confusing at first. We set up a credit card in our Apple Wallet, then got Suica through Apple Wallet (the plus sign +) and added money to the Suica from the credit card.  You don't need a physical Suica card unless someone in your party doesn't have an IPhone, like a child.  I would add money to the Suica  before you go downstairs to a train for better connectivity. We set up the Suica before leaving home. There was no charge for Suica.  It worked great!

Where are you going in Japan?

Thank you for your prompt response. We are spending about a week total before and after our cruise in Tokyo. We will need to adjust to the time change plus getting our bearings in Tokyo. We are staying in Ginza. The cruise line is including a hotel the night before embarkation. Unfortunately we won’t know where until a month before. I could not wait until then to make our hotel reservations especially since it will be cherry blossom time, maybe! We are going to Nagoya, Kochi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, and Mt. Fuji. This will be our fifth try to see Japan. Let’s hope the earthquake and volcanos behave so we can go. I want to find out if Japanese baseball will be playing while we are there. I am hoping we will be able to figure out the menus. It will be an adventure. I saw a YouTube video on a three course meal from 7-11. I am sure my husband and I will have many “discussions” about directions and getting around. I am also trying to build up my walking as I know we will be doing a lot of that.

Thank you again, fellow South Carolinian!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Thank you for your prompt response. We are spending about a week total before and after our cruise in Tokyo. We will need to adjust to the time change plus getting our bearings in Tokyo. We are staying in Ginza. The cruise line is including a hotel the night before embarkation. Unfortunately we won’t know where until a month before. I could not wait until then to make our hotel reservations especially since it will be cherry blossom time, maybe! We are going to Nagoya, Kochi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Osaka, and Mt. Fuji. This will be our fifth try to see Japan. Let’s hope the earthquake and volcanos behave so we can go. I want to find out if Japanese baseball will be playing while we are there. I am hoping we will be able to figure out the menus. It will be an adventure. I saw a YouTube video on a three course meal from 7-11. I am sure my husband and I will have many “discussions” about directions and getting around. I am also trying to build up my walking as I know we will be doing a lot of that.

Thank you again, fellow South Carolinian!

Sounds awesome!!  We watched a taping of a Japanese baseball game and it looks so fun and different from American baseball. We would also like to see Sumo wrestling next time we are in Japan.  If you have other questions, ask away!  Maybe I'll know the answer😉

15 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

Ninjacat123,

@Pearl64 I have details about the Suica card in my post #3 at 

Hope that helps!

Edited by cboyle
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Carolyn. I had already made some notes on your observations and found them helpful. I was wondering if one needs an actual card. We are not the most tech savvy so need some extra instructions. The website you mention about navigating Japan was most helpful. A wealth of material there. I also would like to know how soon before our trip we need to set all this up.

Again, thanks to Ninja as well. 
Patty

9 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

Thank you, Carolyn. I had already made some notes on your observations and found them helpful. I was wondering if one needs an actual card. We are not the most tech savvy so need some extra instructions. The website you mention about navigating Japan was most helpful. A wealth of material there. I also would like to know how soon before our trip we need to set all this up.

Again, thanks to Ninja as well. 
Patty

@Pearl64 if you already use Apple Wallet for other things, the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207154 take you step by step through setting up the mobile Suica.

I did this a couple of weeks before we left. I had to try several credit cards to find one that worked. None of my VISA cards from Chase worked; my American Express worked fine. I did not try a Mastercard. 

If you set the card you use for “Express Pay”, you do not have to open the wallet or even unlock your phone—just tap on the sensor at the fare gates. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2024 at 10:24 PM, ninjacat123 said:

I’m so happy you and other CC members enjoyed my family’s trip to Japan!!

We really appreciate the time it takes to write and share reviews, whether it's during a trip or after returning home.

The more people can share, the better! Not only is it fun to follow, it's so helpful to others, as we all can see from the popularity of the topic. 

The badge helps to identify helpful topics to folks perusing the boards, and we hope, encourages others to consider writing/sharing info and trip reports. And we're just thankful for the outstanding contribution!

We'll leave it pinned to the top of the board for a while longer since it's a great reference for people planning travel. Thanks again. 🙂

• Like 3