Classical Music "Pop Up" Trio

Cloud9 Bob

12 hours ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I'm curious, would something like this be something you would enjoy on Virgin Voyages as a change of pace?

I loved the pop up entertainment that was out there in 2021 but it seems to have vanished. I enjoyed stopping and have a chance to just chill and listen to the performers. I love good classical music, much to the dismay of my late father who was a Big Band musician. 

• Like 1

Pop-up yes, classical music no.

I love me some Brahms and Shubert, but I can't see how it would fit in with Virgin...doubt the Virgin Record label ever had a classical release.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Eric&Pam said:

Pop-up yes, classical music no.

I love me some Brahms and Shubert, but I can't see how it would fit in with Virgin...doubt the Virgin Record label ever had a classical release.

Virgin Classics was a thing (now defunct/sold off).  That said, I like full orchestra classical now and then, but can't say I've ever been a fan of trio's.  On the repositioning cruise we were on last year there weren't exactly "pop up" musicians, but there was a solo guy and a duo that played in a few different places on the ship (neither was classical, of course).

Edited by Tralfaz1138

My vision of this is kind of a cello/violin/flute trio as a "happening" type of surprise sort of like in one of the main hallways near the social club or outside the MNVV desk. They do things like this in the NYC subways, etc. and I always stop to listen for awhile and I leave with a smile on my face. One month it could be classical, another time a zydeco trio, but probably nothing amplified. Could you imagine a washboard, squeeze box and a string bass made from a washtub? I've heard some very talented and fun music made by trios like this too. The thing is it needs to be portable and unpredictable. That's the kind of stuff that makes me remember a place or experience.

The pop up entertainment was there when Scarlet first started sailing. They had some really fun and silly stuff back then, but most of it was comedy related.  I've seen the house band do some acoustic sets using a 5 gallon paint bucket for a drum and some other items in The Dock House on the small stage. 

We loved the string quartet that popped up daily on the Oceania Sirena. And that same quartet played an incredible pop / jazz / broadway set with the house band for one show in the theater. Yes, I could easily see a classical trio pop up on a Ladyship because they celebrate all music, but those same musicians would have to be part of other shows to make it feasible for VV to bring them onboard.  I would never say never to classical appearing on the ships. 

Entertainment is undergoing a major overhaul so you never know what will appear in the coming year. Scarlet should hopefully see some new entertainment when she comes out of drydock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Yes, I could easily see a classical trio pop up on a Ladyship because they celebrate all music, but those same musicians would have to be part of other shows to make it feasible for VV to bring them onboard.  I would never say never to classical appearing on the ships.

Yes I think it would either be musicians from another show doing a pop up or it needs to be one of the guest buskers they already book. 

Personally I don’t think it would add value being a pop-up, the buskers already have many different time slots in different locations so it’s possible to find them unexpectedly but it’s also nice to know where to head to here them so I appreciate the times being on the schedule.