What to do in Geiranger, bus tour to the top of the mountain or boat trip in the Fjord?

edsworld

How long is your day in port?  The panoramic bus tour is only an hour and a half long, so honestly if you have a longer day in port you can do that a something else.  You will have a spectacular view during sail in and sail out of Geiranger (and Cunard very kindly took all the kids in the kids club outside to see the seven sisters as we sailed by), but it might be lovely to see on a clear day from a smaller boat also since its really a spectacular view.  (we had kids so we just did the bus tour which was spectacular)

Edited by kitkat343

I agree with @kitkat343, you will have a great view of the Seven Sisters from the cruise ship.

You will enter Storfjorden (”the Big Fjord”) a couple of hours before reaching Geiranger, and there is a lot to see all the way, even if it’s most spectacular when you enter the Geiranger fjord.

I don’t know where the bus tour stops for views of Geiranger, but it should hopefully be in three places; Örnesvingen, Dalsnibba and one more stop up to Dalsnibba. The views from all three places are spectacular.

It’s very cool to see the farm close to the Seven Sisters.

There is no road to the farm. They way to go there is by boat and then climb all the way up to the farm.

IMG_1505.thumb.jpeg.7b346f43eadf410e351ff44cacf7a028.jpeg

IMG_1500.thumb.jpeg.f902e77281de76c24f566271030256f1.jpeg

A bus both ways to the tops above Geiranger. I did it 3 times. 1st time ships excursion early spring and road to one of the tops closed (snow). 2nd time Mini bus perfect to all view points 3nd time (no minivans available (too much tourists who want to book?) big bus perfect to both tops.  As I understand there has to be a Hop On Hop Off now..... And of course I agree with `you will see the 7 Sisters from your cruise ship`. Be sure to be in front or on top of the ship to see both sides of the fjord.  And maybe wake up early to see it early in the morning too.  Enjoy Geiranger (maybe a cup of hot chocolate at Geiranger Sjokolade in the small street in the direction of Hotel Geiranger (of the film The Wave....). See Geirangersjokoladedotno

You will sail the entire Geirangerfjord twice on the ship, and you will have plenty of great views. I always recommend getting up into the hills for the view down into the fjord valley, because the perspective looks so much different (and more like the iconic photos you usually see of the fjords).

If there’s low cloud cover, you won’t get to see much from Dalsnibba, but it’s fantastic on a clear day. However, there are several lower viewpoints that offer lovely scenery even on overcast days.

My personal choice is to hike up to Vesterås farm and walk over to the Vesteråsfjellet overlook, because it’s often empty even when there’s a large ship in port.