All Aug. 17 Paris shore excursions canceled on Aug. 7 Regal Princess British Isles cruise?

Sundodger2

Maybe someone currently on board could ask for you? It won't change the answer but it feels better to have a logical response. I'm guessing that the summer crowds and potential traffic issues might be the reason. Maybe they have had many complaints already. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LCM511 said:

Currently on Regal Princess and all Paris excursions tomorrow were canceled at the start of the cruise. 

My sister and her kids are onboard with you.  Are you still going to Le Havre and be able to go to Normandy?

Edited by spingal

22 hours ago, katisdale said:

The $30 might be port and taxes refund from not visiting Dublin/Liverpool. I would not go to Paris from Normandy. I would either fly into Paris and start my trip from there or go to Paris from London on the Eurostar.

Or Berlin from Warnemunde, or Beijing from Tianjin or Bangkok from wherever distant port they use.   It is annoying the way the cruise companies list Le Havre (Paris) as if Le Havre is near Paris instead of 125 miles away.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric from San Diego said:

Or Berlin from Warnemunde, or Beijing from Tianjin or Bangkok from wherever distant port they use.   It is annoying the way the cruise companies list Le Havre (Paris) as if Le Havre is near Paris instead of 125 miles away.   

They do this for name recall and location knowledge.  If you say a cruise departs from Civitavecchia, an inexperienced cruiser wouldn't know that that they had to fly into Rome without looking at a map, and even then the nearest airport wouldn't necessarily be obvious.  Same goes for Southampton; Southampton has an airport, but London Heathrow/Gatwick are so much easier to fly into.  Even less obvious would be Valparaiso or San Antonio, Chile.

I agree with those that say Le Havre isn't the best port for seeing Paris, but makes visiting Normandy easy.  Having said that, most people don't know what or where Normandy is.

Cruisers on shore excursions won't be going to Paris during the Olympics.  In case anyone is spending any pre/post-cruise time in Paris during the Olympics, the link below, shows exactly which areas will be affected by the event.  In short, don't even think about going to Paris unless you have some affiliation with the Olympics.

https://www.paris.fr/en/pages/everything-you-need-to-know-about-traffic-and-security-perimeters-during-the-games-27361

5 hours ago, spingal said:

My sister and her kids are onboard with you.  Are you still going to Le Havre and be able to go to Normandy?

Yes the Le Harve port is still the same and they are still offering tours to Normandy (I think?) and some local tours around Le Harve. That's why we were/are so confused -- nothing about the port/time changed. If we had to miss LeHarve or had to leave at like 2 or 3pm then it's, OK I get why. But seems nothing would have changed between last week and last year 😛 

11 minutes ago, Sundodger2 said:

Yes the Le Harve port is still the same and they are still offering tours to Normandy (I think?) and some local tours around Le Harve. That's why we were/are so confused -- nothing about the port/time changed. If we had to miss LeHarve or had to leave at like 2 or 3pm then it's, OK I get why. But seems nothing would have changed between last week and last year 😛 

I tracked the ship and you are docking at Le Havre.  My sister said they added Normandy tours and that a few Paris tours were added.

Hope you have a great day!

On 6/30/2024 at 6:42 PM, Eric from San Diego said:

Absolutely agree and have actually spoken to two cruise line executives about the issue.  For them, it is simply a marketing ploy and putting "Paris,"  "Rome," and "Florence" in a published itinerary is going to sell more berths than saying "Le Havre,"  "Civitavecchia" and "Livorno."  One executive told me it is like saying $9.99 instead of $10.00.  While it almost seems juvenile, it is an effective marketing technique.  I still see "Venice" on some itineraries even though we know that no medium/large cruise ships can go to that port.  

This is part of the reason why folks should take advantage of the help and expertise found here on CC and some other cruise related blogs.  

Hank

• Haha 1

We were on the June 8 Regal British Isles cruise and had heard about a group of people who were going to disembark in LeHavre (and end their cruise) to go up to Paris to finish their trip.  I assume they needed prior permission to do this.

We spent the day in Honfleur, a truly beautiful town, and enjoyed it tremendously.  I would highly recommend.  We took an Uber to and from the port.  It was only about 20/25 mins away.