transportation from Yokohama port to Haneda airport

jjduck

Have never been to Japan, so unfamiliar with protocols there.

Is there a taxi line at the port?

Is hiring private transportation a "better" option? If so, any recommendations?

Any information is appreciated.

thanks!

39 minutes ago, jjduck said:

Have never been to Japan, so unfamiliar with protocols there.

Is there a taxi line at the port?

Is hiring private transportation a "better" option? If so, any recommendations?

Any information is appreciated.

thanks!

There are 4 cruise terminals in Yokohama: Shinko, Osanbashi, Yamashita, and Daikoku. Taxi lines at all cruise terminals, you may have to queue for taxi if multiple cruise ships in port or during disembark peak time. All cruise terminals are 30 min taxi time to Haneda Airport. If you have excessive luggage or travel in a group, then private transfer will be a "better" option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjduck said:

Thank you, monkey@cruise.  I was hoping you would answer as you are so helpful on this board!

You're welcome. For 1st timer to Japan, international flights mostly arrive in Haneda terminal 3, available public transportation: airport bus, metro/train, taxi (meter/flat-rate)

https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/access/index.html

Visit Japan Web app is your fast track for Japan immigration and customs clearance in Haneda Airpirt.  https://services.digital.go.jp/en/visit-japan-web/

Since we are talking about cruises and airports it should be mentioned that Tokyo has two large international airports, Narita and Haneda.  Haneda is much more convenient for cruises docked at any of the Tokyo/Yokohama ports, so folks might want to plan accordingly, when choosing flights.  Narita is a long way from Tokyo (over 40 miles) and even further from Yokohama.  While there is decent public transportation to/from Narita, using a taxi will cost you over $200 (one way).  

Regarding Japanese taxis, they are excellent, clean, and very safe.  You do not tip taxi drivers, so the price on the meter is what you pay.  Nearly all the taxis will take major credit cards (MC/Visa) but, it is proper to ask the driver about using a credit card, before you commit to the trip.   Also, one little cultural thing, but do not open the door of a taxi.  The driver will, electronically/mechanically open the rear door for you to enter/exit the taxi.

Hank

• Thanks 1

thanks for this, Hank.  Every bit of info is great for us first timers.

What about the language barrier, if any? We were thinking of having our Haneda hotel send us an email in Japanese giving the name and address of the hotel that we could hand to the driver???

And do we ask about use of credit card BEFORE getting in the taxi?  We often do this when we travel.  

16 hours ago, jjduck said:

thanks for this, Hank.  Every bit of info is great for us first timers.

What about the language barrier, if any? We were thinking of having our Haneda hotel send us an email in Japanese giving the name and address of the hotel that we could hand to the driver???

And do we ask about use of credit card BEFORE getting in the taxi?  We often do this when we travel.  

DW and I both tell folks that there is no such thing as language "barriers" but there are language "challenges."  I know that sounds like PC talk, but it is true.  When it comes to tourist-related things, in Japan, you will usually find English signs.  Getting through subway/train stations is not too difficult as there are English signs, many restaurants have English menus (you might have to ask), etc.  If you have a working smartphone (almost essential these days) you can use Google Translate (a free app) to translate Kanji.  You simply use the camera (on your phone) option and it does a pretty good job translating.   

Most Japanese can read English (it has been taught in the schools since I lived there back in the 70s).  Of course being able to read English does not always mean they will speak English.  I actually forgot to print out the name of our hotel in Kanji, so I simply wrote it on a piece of paper (in block letters) and our taxi driver had no problem,  You will also find that many Japanese (especially younger folks) do speak some English and they are very helpful.  When DW and I would stop and look a little bewildered (like when trying to find our way through Shinjuku Station, somebody would usually walk right up to us and ask if we needed help.  

Speaking of phones, I have long preached that independent travelers MUST have a working smartphone, and this is really important in Japan.  If you have T-Mobile, you phone will work (without having to pay additional fees).  Some other carriers have coverage if you pay a fee (such as Verizon).  Many tourists that go to Japan will also rent what is called a "pocket WiFi"  which is a small device that connects to the Japanese cell providers and puts out a WiFi signal you can use with any of your devices.   If you are interested, just Google something like "Japan pocket Wifi" and you will find all kinds of options.  You can arrange to pick up one of these devices at the airport, and many come with a mailer so you simply drop them in a post office box before you leave the country.  That being said, in our 6 weeks traveling around Japan (on land and sea) we simply used our phones (we have T-mobile) without needing pocket wifi.  

Another important aid in Japan is having a "Suica" card.  There is a competitor, but we tend to like the Suica option (it is owned by the Japanese Railroad (JR)).  The last time we were in Japan we simply bought Suica cards and then you load them with money (they have terminals at most train stations, 7-11s, etc).  But now, it is possible (and a great idea) to use the Suica app which allows you to use your phone instead of a physical card.  You put the app on your phone, can load more money (using your phone), and your phone (using Bluetooth) will work for the metro, trains, and even to purchase things in many shops and restaurants.  If you want to take the metro (subway) you simply wave your phone over the reader at the gates, and again on your way out of the station at your destination.  Your phone is also your GPS mapping system, so you never get lost :).  \

In Japan, if you want to use cash you do need Yen.  ATMs are everywhere, but not all of them will work with our ATM/Debit cards.  If you become desperate to find an ATM that will work with your card, simply go inside any 7-11 or Lawson's (these are very common convenience stores) where they have ATMs that do work with our cards.  Japan's ATM systems do seem to be getting better (at accepting foreign Debit cards) which makes life somewhat easier.  But the reality is that using credit cards (primarily Visa and MC) is very common and you will not use much cash.

Hank

• Like 1

WOW, Hank, thanks very much for the info.  

DH is pretty good with a smart phone, so great instructions for him. (For me, I want my dial phone and message recorder back.  No kidding!)

Off to do more research....

2 hours ago, jjduck said:

WOW, Hank, thanks very much for the info.  

DH is pretty good with a smart phone, so great instructions for him. (For me, I want my dial phone and message recorder back.  No kidding!)

Off to do more research....

The above information works great in major cities. Some restaurants are now menu on iPad, supporting Japanese, English, Korean and Chinese language; Public transportation announcement in 4 languages; Rail/Bus Station Customer Services provide iPad for translation; Supermarket checkouts also support multi-language. If you need over the counter drugs from pharmacy, some pharmacists carry instant voice translation device for communication (some over the counter drugs are prohibited to bring in Japan). 

Google character translation does not work properly on handwritten notes. So my workaround is iPad with pencil, convert handwritten notes to typed text, use hand writing to communicate with Japanese, because my Japanese language is still 101.

If you like seeing Japan weird technology - Tokyo; Foodie to Osaka; Culture and History in Kyoto.

Japan smaller cities are still old-school, cash still the king and not accepting foreign credit cards. Some foreign bank issued VISA credit cards cannot process online transactions in Japan (VISA system issue).

Don't you know Thai is the 5th language in Japan? So many foreign workers in Japan.

Hawaii is Japanese's  paradise, now many now cannot afford to go because low yen exchange rate.

The prior post, mentioning Japan weird technology, does bring back a memory.  On our first evening in Tokyo, we were exhausted (jet lag) and decided to just go into a restaurant near our Shinjuku hotel.  We did not vett the place, but simply walked in with no reservation, research, etc.  We sat at a table and noticed a tabletop QR code with no menus in sight.  As expected, when we used our phone to read the QR code, we got a menu (in multiple languages including English).  By this time we noticed there were no waiters taking orders and also realized that the Japanese diners were simply ordering with their phones.  So, we did order our meal on my phone and a few minutes later, one of the staff delivered our order.   Since this was not a fast food restaurant, we were a little surprised at the lack of waiters, but understood it was a smart idea to reduce labor costs/requirements.  

I mention this because Japan is a very high tech country (mostly phone-based).  I have previously posted that just trying to use a toilet/WC in Japan can require an advanced degree :).  Even public toilets will often have heated seats, and various controls.  Push the wrong button and you might get a shower....so be careful :).  DW actually took pictures of a few toilets that really tested her ability to deal with technology.  

I should mention a great example of just how safe it is in Japan.  On one rainy day, we took the metro over to Ueno Park, where there are several decent museums.  As we were walking into one museum (in pouring rain) we noticed quite a few hard-sided suitcases just sitting on the sidewalk...unattended.  Their owners had simply left their suitcases so they could go inside and enjoy the museum.  They had no fear that anyone would steal their cases, and also must have had a lot of faith that there were no leaks (it was raining hard).  I remarked to DW that if one did that in Paris, the police bomb squad would have quickly been summoned and likely destroyed the case!

Hank

• Like 1

Oh dear, so much technology. LOL (learned this lingo from the grandkids, btw!)

Hopefully the toilets will have picture instructions or be in English.  In any event, will be great for journal writing.

Thanks for all this info.

ALOHA!

24 minutes ago, jjduck said:

Oh dear, so much technology. LOL (learned this lingo from the grandkids, btw!)

Hopefully the toilets will have picture instructions or be in English.  In any event, will be great for journal writing.

Thanks for all this info.

ALOHA!

DW just handed me her phone with a toilet picture.  Yes, the instructions were in multiple languages including English.  Some of the buttons are labeled:  Stops rear or front washing, Adjusts the water pressure during rear or front washing, cleans the nozzles, Use for rear washing. Press again for oscillating spray, Adjusts the temperature of the heated toilet seat, etc.   And finally, if you look hard enough you will find a button labeled, "Flushes the toilet!"

I did notice one other comment.  "The Shower Toilet will not spray any water until you are seated.  The Occupied seat sensor prevents accidental spraying,"   And keep in mind this is just a public commode.  

She also showed me another toilet picture that did not have any English.  She figures 1 out of 4 was not too bad :).  

I will admit that the heated toilet seats were quite nice.  Not only was that the case in public places, but our hotel toilets were all heated.  I imagine that Japanese tourists who come to the USA are very uncomfortable on our cold toilet seats.

Hank

s

monkey@cruise, thanks for your input in post #10.  I got so tied up with the tech stuff, I thought it was Hank.  I am definitely in pre-cruise planning overload!

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I mention this because Japan is a very high tech country (mostly phone-based).  I have previously posted that just trying to use a toilet/WC in Japan can require an advanced degree :).  Even public toilets will often have heated seats, and various controls.  Push the wrong button and you might get a shower....so be careful :).  DW actually took pictures of a few toilets that really tested her ability to deal with technology.  

Hank

Given that Japan is often referred to as a leading nation in toilet innovation.
High-tech toilet - Bidet style with control panel (some with contactless voice activation)
Mid-tech toilet - Western style.
Low-tech toilet - Squat style.

Fake toilet flushing sound to mask the ‘bathroom’ noise

Attractions:

Transparent bathrooms in Shibuya.
Waterscape bathrooms on Tokyo station B1 floor
Hipopopapa's Toilet: Use the Restroom While Watching Fish. The café "Hipopopapa" in Akashi City, Hyogo Prefecture.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jjduck said:

monkey@cruise, I have now added toilet innovation to my vocabulary.   Wow!

Many fun things in Japan (Tokyo):
- Giant godzilla statue and 3D billboard in Shinjuku
- Drive a real life Mario Kart, Shibuya Scramble Cross, and 3D billboards in Shibuya
- Little Peeing Monk of Tokyo (Japanese Manneken Pis) at Platforms 3-4, inside Hamamatsuchō Station.
- Colonel Sanders cosplays as a samurai at KFC Japan stores 
- Don Quixote (Japan Walmart)
- Crazy KitKat Flavors (like Hawaii Spam)

A definite must-have--- spam flavored kit kat.  Yes indeed!  Any shops near (or inside of) Haneda airport?  We will likely stay at a Terminal 3 hotel in Haneda.

Rarely go to Don Quixote in Honolulu; feel like a foreigner there. LOL

2 hours ago, jjduck said:

A definite must-have--- spam flavored kit kat.  Yes indeed!  Any shops near (or inside of) Haneda airport?  We will likely stay at a Terminal 3 hotel in Haneda.

Rarely go to Don Quixote in Honolulu; feel like a foreigner there. LOL

Haneda Airport Garden
https://www.hvf.jp/haneda-lp/eng/index2.html

Hotel: Villa Fontaine Grand
https://www.hvf.jp/eng/hanedaairport-grand/

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things-to-do/best-things-to-do-at-haneda-airport-garden
https://www.japan-guide.com/ad/haneda-airport-garden/

I see that Hotel Villa is so close to the Garden Mall; quite convenient.

Any comments on the Royal Park Hotel Tokyo Haneda?

3 hours ago, jjduck said:

I see that Hotel Villa is so close to the Garden Mall; quite convenient.

Any comments on the Royal Park Hotel Tokyo Haneda?

Upscale than Villa Fontaine Grand, hotel entrance is located in the 3F departure lobby, near Tailwind restaurant and Check-in Counter N. Short walk to 4F Restaurants & Shops, and metro/train/bus airport station to Tokyo/Yokohama.