Craft Corner on Sea Days

PRH

“Craft corner” in Wintergarten on sea days seems to have become “a thing.”  Once upon a time, watercolor classes among others were offered with instruction, materials and guidance.  Now it is an opportunity for anyone with any kind of handicraft to bring your project and work in the company of others.  Newbies to Viking Ocean have been surprised to discover this and wished they had known.  This is a heads up for crafters with sea days ahead to bring your project (my husband brings his watercolors,paints, brushes, etc.) and meet others on board.  Knitting, needlepoint, crochet, painting, and embroidery seem to be the most common.  Viking does not provide any materials or guidance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRH said:

“Craft corner” in Wintergarten on sea days seems to have become “a thing.”  Once upon a time, watercolor classes among others were offered with instruction, materials and guidance.  Now it is an opportunity for anyone with any kind of handicraft to bring your project and work in the company of others.  Newbies to Viking Ocean have been surprised to discover this and wished they had known.  This is a heads up for crafters with sea days ahead to bring your project (my husband brings his watercolors,paints, brushes, etc.) and meet others on board.  Knitting, needlepoint, crochet, painting, and embroidery seem to be the most common.  Viking does not provide any materials or guidance.

I love this! I wish Viking would embrace this and for instance sell craft kits. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:04 AM, PRH said:

Viking does not provide any materials or guidance.

13 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

On the Hawaii and French Polynesia cruise in November we had both craft corner in the Wintergarden and watercolor and other craft classes in another area.

PRH says no guidance and Zippeedee says "classes"?

So is there guidance or classes, or just groups of guests coming together voluntarily?  

My recent cruise experience which includes two recent transatlantics and now on the Star from NYC to Iceland with 6 sea days is that there are unhosted craft corner gatherings with no supplies or guidance.  It used to be that there would be hosted classes but that seems to have gone away (cost cutting?).  I know one watercolor instructor was the wife of one of the speakers so it was easy for Viking to use her.  If you like to craft, bring it along with you.  If a hosted gathering happens, you are that much ahead with far superior supplies.  If not, you will find some creative companionship.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

PRH says no guidance and Zippeedee says "classes"?

So is there guidance or classes, or just groups of guests coming together voluntarily?  

There were classes with a teacher and provided materials. The watercolor classes had a little art show near the end of the cruise. I think the other classes were macrame but I’m not certain. There was supposed to be a Zentangle class but the person teaching it had to leave due to an emergency.

We also had 21 sea days so there was plenty of time. 

Edited by Zippeedee
Spelling
  • Like 1