Solo Insider vs. Sea Terrace Review

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Cloud9 Bob was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I realized recently that I've only sailed in interior cabins all my "cruise life." No balcony, no port hole. Not for me. I was firmly in the camp that I can get all the sun and fresh air I need, anytime I want, by just going outside my cabin. I have the whole ship. I don't need to pay more for no stinkin' balcony. Besides, I like it dark when I go to sleep. Balcony? Who needs it? Not me. I'm saving money. Let some other guy pay for a balcony, just so he can wave to someone as the ship leaves port. Or worse yet, spending time on the balcony (when they really wish they were somewhere else on the ship) just because they paid more for one so they are obligated to stay there?

So, when Virgin Voyages and Scarlet Lady came around, I was more than interested in certain aspects of the line. No kids? Hmmm. Solo Insiders? Where do I sign up! The computer assigned me a cabin on the "best available first" system. I went for it. Never dawned on me "who decides what is best."? I got a cabin mid ship on Deck 14 because it was "convenient to the Galley." As much as I loved the food in the Galley, I didn't prefer being "convenient" to it. Lots of foot traffic from the stairs and elevators. I also got the room right below the weight room and pool. Yes, I did hear people drop weights in the morning and yes I did hear the bass from the DJ, but neither was constant or terrible. Just "there." As much as I sound like a complainer, I'm really quite flexible and that's the best way to enjoy yourself on a cruise. Don't sweat what you can't change, just learn, enjoy and move on. I would like to ask one favor from some of my fellow sailors though. When you go back to your cabin at 3 AM after drinking, you don't need to scream in the hallway, we can hear you just fine...even from bed. It's not the computers fault either. It's only shuffling 1's and 0's. I'ts human nature.

So, I really wound up loving the solo insider. It's small, dark at night, dark in the day too. The bathroom would make a mouse stoop shouldered, and the path to get around the cabin is more like a rabbit run...but...I really did love it and would book another in a minute. So, here is Bob. Blissfully ignorant. Enjoying his Solo Insider. Thinking about another cruise. I decide to take a walk on a populated deck. After all, who can stand stygian gloom and complete solitude very long? Even a loner such as myself needs people around him sooner or later. So, I'm walking around this gorgeous ship and I see a sign with an odd combination of letters. It said MNVV. Upon closer inspection, I learned it stood for My Next Virgin Voyage. For those that my not be familiar with this, it is a placeholder voucher that you pay $300 to acquire and then you can use it to book your next cruise and it will act as a $300 deposit and also lower the cruise price by $300. In addition, you get $600 Sailor Loot to spend once onboard.  But beware of the Sirens Song from Greek mythology. They were the lure and doom of many a sailor and I was to be no exception my friends. I was drawn into the desk where I learned many a lesson. Sailors beware, this beautiful rose was not without thorns. The next voyage must be booked within 60 days, lest your Sailor Loot reduces to $300. Voyage must take place within 24 months. But maybe the most shaking news is still to come. It's not good for an insider cabin! The accommodations class must be standard Sea Terrace and higher. This would have a far reaching impact on me.  As I said before, 'I don't need no stinkin' balcony." Yet my hands were tied, and the die firmly cast. I purchased one and relinquished my membership in the No Balcony Sailing Club.

Until I actually set foot on a Virgin ship again. Until I personally looked upon my very own balcony. Until I slid the door out of my way and stepped forward, I could only imagine what it would be like. And what was all this about a hammock? I've been in hammocks before. Just like the balcony, I don't need no stinkin' hammock. Right? Wrong. It's different and comfotable as all heck. It has a way of enveloping you and making you relax. You have zero choice.

The Sea Terrace is bigger than a solo insider, but it's not huge. It's fine for one or two sailors. The bathrooms are small and similar to the Solo Insiders. The rain shower is on par with the hammock....awesome, but to be fair...all cabins have this. I want one in my shower at home now. There is more than enough closet space in the solo insider for one and adequate space for two in the Sea Terrace. If you don't agree, you overpacked or are on a Trans Atlantic.

I must admit that having a way to see what is going on outside is nice. The curtains can be left on the inner sheer or you can darken it up by using the heavier ones. I couldn't get it as dark as a solo insider, but then I really didn't need to either.

There are some annoying aspects of the Sea Terraces too though. The neighboring cabins (up, down, left and right) always slam the sliding glass doors against the rubber stops and then slam them shut just before locking them. Sometimes, it was as if they were coordinating it, boom...boom...boom. LOL! Another thing is that if you leave your balcony door open for fresh air inside, you hear a lot of your neighbors conversations. It's by no means a deal breaker for me, just something I noticed.

All in all, I loved my first Sea Terrace experience. Would I book a Solo Insider again, sure. Would I miss the balcony? Probably. Would I miss the hammock? Definitely!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I realized recently that I've only sailed in interior cabins all my "cruise life." No balcony, no port hole. Not for me. I was firmly in the camp that I can get all the sun and fresh air I need, anytime I want, by just going outside my cabin. I have the whole ship. I don't need to pay more for no stinkin' balcony. Besides, I like it dark when I go to sleep. Balcony? Who needs it? Not me. I'm saving money. Let some other guy pay for a balcony, just so he can wave to someone as the ship leaves port. Or worse yet, spending time on the balcony (when they really wish they were somewhere else on the ship) just because they paid more for one so they are obligated to stay there?

So, when Virgin Voyages and Scarlet Lady came around, I was more than interested in certain aspects of the line. No kids? Hmmm. Solo Insiders? Where do I sign up! The computer assigned me a cabin on the "best available first" system. I went for it. Never dawned on me "who decides what is best."? I got a cabin mid ship on Deck 14 because it was "convenient to the Galley." As much as I loved the food in the Galley, I didn't prefer being "convenient" to it. Lots of foot traffic from the stairs and elevators. I also got the room right below the weight room and pool. Yes, I did hear people drop weights in the morning and yes I did hear the bass from the DJ, but neither was constant or terrible. Just "there." As much as I sound like a complainer, I'm really quite flexible and that's the best way to enjoy yourself on a cruise. Don't sweat what you can't change, just learn, enjoy and move on. I would like to ask one favor from some of my fellow sailors though. When you go back to your cabin at 3 AM after drinking, you don't need to scream in the hallway, we can hear you just fine...even from bed. It's not the computers fault either. It's only shuffling 1's and 0's. I'ts human nature.

So, I really wound up loving the solo insider. It's small, dark at night, dark in the day too. The bathroom would make a mouse stoop shouldered, and the path to get around the cabin is more like a rabbit run...but...I really did love it and would book another in a minute. So, here is Bob. Blissfully ignorant. Enjoying his Solo Insider. Thinking about another cruise. I decide to take a walk on a populated deck. After all, who can stand stygian gloom and complete solitude very long? Even a loner such as myself needs people around him sooner or later. So, I'm walking around this gorgeous ship and I see a sign with an odd combination of letters. It said MNVV. Upon closer inspection, I learned it stood for My Next Virgin Voyage. For those that my not be familiar with this, it is a placeholder voucher that you pay $300 to acquire and then you can use it to book your next cruise and it will act as a $300 deposit and also lower the cruise price by $300. In addition, you get $600 Sailor Loot to spend once onboard.  But beware of the Sirens Song from Greek mythology. They were the lure and doom of many a sailor and I was to be no exception my friends. I was drawn into the desk where I learned many a lesson. Sailors beware, this beautiful rose was not without thorns. The next voyage must be booked within 60 days, lest your Sailor Loot reduces to $300. Voyage must take place within 24 months. But maybe the most shaking news is still to come. It's not good for an insider cabin! The accommodations class must be standard Sea Terrace and higher. This would have a far reaching impact on me.  As I said before, 'I don't need no stinkin' balcony." Yet my hands were tied, and the die firmly cast. I purchased one and relinquished my membership in the No Balcony Sailing Club.

Until I actually set foot on a Virgin ship again. Until I personally looked upon my very own balcony. Until I slid the door out of my way and stepped forward, I could only imagine what it would be like. And what was all this about a hammock? I've been in hammocks before. Just like the balcony, I don't need no stinkin' hammock. Right? Wrong. It's different and comfotable as all heck. It has a way of enveloping you and making you relax. You have zero choice.

The Sea Terrace is bigger than a solo insider, but it's not huge. It's fine for one or two sailors. The bathrooms are small and similar to the Solo Insiders. The rain shower is on par with the hammock....awesome, but to be fair...all cabins have this. I want one in my shower at home now. There is more than enough closet space in the solo insider for one and adequate space for two in the Sea Terrace. If you don't agree, you overpacked or are on a Trans Atlantic.

I must admit that having a way to see what is going on outside is nice. The curtains can be left on the inner sheer or you can darken it up by using the heavier ones. I couldn't get it as dark as a solo insider, but then I really didn't need to either.

There are some annoying aspects of the Sea Terraces too though. The neighboring cabins (up, down, left and right) always slam the sliding glass doors against the rubber stops and then slam them shut just before locking them. Sometimes, it was as if they were coordinating it, boom...boom...boom. LOL! Another thing is that if you leave your balcony door open for fresh air inside, you hear a lot of your neighbors conversations. It's by no means a deal breaker for me, just something I noticed.

All in all, I loved my first Sea Terrace experience. Would I book a Solo Insider again, sure. Would I miss the balcony? Probably. Would I miss the hammock? Definitely!!

Love your attitude and outlook!

As far as Im concerned being able to get away from the crowds and noise and STILL sit outside is a huge positive. 

Ive taken a good number of cruises on river ships in porthole class but I always make an effort to try to get a balcony on ocean ships.

We always used to book insides with Princess.

They were 1/2 the price, so we sailed twice as often, but we love hammock on the terrace and have sailed with Virgin 6 times, and have yet to sail in an inside.

• Haha 1