Le Havre excursion

We loved our British Isles cruise which stopped in Le Havre. 

Le Havre has The André Malraux Museum of Modern Art (not open on mondays) within walking distance of the port.  It has many Impressionist artists. 

There is also Monet’s garden which is a very easy 1.5 hr drive from the port via car (even though we were driving on the wrong side of the road).  There is a hire car place right at the port.  

Our ship, Royal Princess, was in Le Havre for 13 hour. We had plenty of time to visit Monet’s gardens (5hr easy round trip including 2 hours to enjoy the gardens) and then back in Le Havre port to see the Art Gallery for as long as you wish because you are within walking distance of the ship. 

That makes a great day as a port stop in Le Havre.

• Like 2

I'd had been struggling to find something to interest me in Le Havre but the Museum of Modern Art may be the solution. Roughly, how long was the walk, please?

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I'd had been struggling to find something to interest me in Le Havre but the Museum of Modern Art may be the solution.

Rouen is also worthy of consideration. Very attractive old own, historic, think Joan of Arc and very easy to sightsee independently on arrival.

Only approximately an hour by direct train from le Havre with no changes required.

• 3 weeks later...

Been to all of these suggested spots.  Rouen was my favorite but we were there for two full days. If only doing a quick day-trip from Le Havre, I would second the Monet Gardens suggestion but be warned: we were there in September and it was mobbed by tourists.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2024 at 11:05 AM, Langoustine said:

It's also very easy to go to Honfleur.

We stop at Le Havre port and have interest in going to Honfleur. Would a taxi be the easiest?

9 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

We stop at Le Havre port and have interest in going to Honfleur. Would a taxi be the easiest?

Yes, it's certainly the simplest. If you're just a twosome, try to find sharers via your RollCall, or on the ship. or on the quayside.

I understand there's now a bus transfer service from the quay to & back from Honfleur. Don't know the detail - perhaps others can chime in or you can ask that nice Mr Google.

https://beelehavre.com/en/how-to-visit-discover-and-travel-easily-between-le-havre-honfleur/

Some folk have figured the local fare-stage bus service (Bus Verts), but you need to get to the bus station (somewhere near the train station), the service is infrequent and the website & timetable are complex

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

you didn't copy my name in so I didn't get a notification. 

My apologies for that - I do usually do a "quote". And many thanks for the info

• Like 1