Rum Distilery (sp)

Can anyone recommend which island would be better for a rum tour? Barbados or San Juan?

My Uncle is interested in it and we were not sure which island would be better and if you could recommend a tour..

Thanks!!

the one in san juan tells you lots but you see very little of the factory. They say its all a secret and dont take you into any of it, they show you some old pictures of the place and take you to a smelling room and that is about it other then a movie. I have no clue how the one on Barbados is. If they take you into the factory where you can really see it being done not just watch a movie on it then I would say to take that one.

When we were in Barbados we did the rum tour. It was great! They sat you in a room and made you watch a short movie then took you into the actual factory where you could sample the rum at different stages of it being made. They even explained that they pour a little out of each batch (for the spirits), then they had a cute gift shop at the end. (if I can remember the name I will repost).

...do the Mount Gay Rum Tour in Barbados. Just book it when you get off the ship yourself. It's under $10 and is only a 5 minute cab ride from the pier. It was great. Very informative, and you get to sample all 4 of their rums.

Cheers,

Jack

The one in Barbados (Mt. Gay Rum) is wonderful. If you’re looking to save some money, you can do it on your own (not through the ship). We took a taxi to the distillery and paid our own admission. It was a couple of years ago, so I’m not 100% sure, but I seem to remember we paid maybe $20/person including cab rides. Tour admission included samples, which were wonderful. If you like the one they call “Brandy Rum”, but it there. We’ve had no luck finding it at home in the US.

Very cool. They still do things the same way they have for hundreds of years at Mt. Gay, and you get right up close to the process. I’ve heard the same thing about Bacardi that prairie fox mentioned-they you’re pretty far removed from things.

Archived