Business class, No More?

The high demand cruises are expensive...the low demand ones are not. There is actually a lot of demand for cruising right now - Regent's marketing plan is working out very well for them.

• Like 1

I confirmed: "free" the pre-/post-cruise land tours (from the spelled-out list for each itinerary being worth around $1,200 per person) are removed now; they list them now as an extra perk for a certain (changed periodically) limited itineraries).  It's a new dawn, new day, new game ...

20 hours ago, kirtihk said:

they list them now as an extra perk for a certain (changed periodically) limited itineraries).

The "free" pre or post cruise tours have ALWAYS been "an extra perk" for specific itineraries.  It's simply a perk to attract people to a cruise that isn't selling all that well.  Nothing new here at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

The "free" pre or post cruise tours have ALWAYS been "an extra perk" for specific itineraries.  It's simply a perk to attract people to a cruise that isn't selling all that well.  Nothing new here at all.

I cannot tell how many, but I saw it available for almost all itineraries I was looking at within last 5-6 years.

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I cannot tell how many, but I saw it available for almost all itineraries I was looking at within last 5-6 years.

They are usually available but not usually free.

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

They are usually available but not usually free.

They were (not are), and they were included (incorporated in the total price along with everything else like cruise fare, port charges, taxes, gratuities, excursions from the included list, alcohol, and business class air) in the total price displayed upfront on the first screen of itinerary.

15 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

They were (not are), and they were included (incorporated in the total price along with everything else like cruise fare, port charges, taxes, gratuities, excursions from the included list, alcohol, and business class air) in the total price displayed upfront on the first screen of itinerary.

Agreed - some are included. I am saying that some pre and post land packages were at a charge....and some were included with the price of the cruise (as you are saying). Regent offers them to induce sales of particular cruises....but cruises in high demand usually have them as a charge.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Agreed - some are included. I am saying that some pre and post land packages were at a charge....and some were included with the price of the cruise (as you are saying). Regent offers them to induce sales of particular cruises....but cruises in high demand usually have them as a charge.

Yes, I know what you mean.  It was not exactly how you wrote it, however.  For example, for my December 1, 2024 Voyager cruise, 1 land tour was included in the total price cruise: it was a choice from the list of either 3 pre- or 1 post-cruise land tours (each had around $1,200 pp value).  There were 6 additional pre-cruise tours available for an extra price in the $1,900-$7,500 range pp, and if you buy a tour from those 6 tours, you wouldn't NOT have the total cruise price reduced by $1,200 for substituting the included tour with the one for a price.  Also, if you don't take ANY tour at all, you still wouldn't have the total price reduced by $1,200.  Well, now since July 1 all tours are for a price for my cruise and the majority of others (it's hard to say whether the cruise total now is reduced by any amount (since the land tour is not included in that price), because my cruise is now on sale, and the total price is a lot less than the original price).

On 7/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, kirtihk said:

True, but as you said "almost all itineraries."  It's always been a "special," just like "no single supplement," or "first class domestic," etc.  When a cruise isn't selling they add a "perk" of some description. Right now they aren't offering included pre or post cruise excursions, but that'll change for some cruises.  

43 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

True, but as you said "almost all itineraries."  It's always been a "special," just like "no single supplement," or "first class domestic," etc.  When a cruise isn't selling they add a "perk" of some description. Right now they aren't offering included pre or post cruise excursions, but that'll change for some cruises.  

Everything is a “special” in that sense that you described. Regardless, as to your “when a cruise isn’t selling”, our nearest cruise had the included pre/post 3-day land tour offer at the time of our booking which was almost at the beginning of it being on sale (like 2 years ago).  At that point it’s hard to state the cruise “isn’t selling”.

Important to note that not all cruises cost Regent the same to run. Historically, they can see which cruises sell well and which don't. Some cruises are run to get to and from more desirable areas - like transatlantic cruises without the transatlantic part. Regent has all this data and tries to get top dollar for all cruises and adds incentives as needed to sell all the cabins.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2024 at 11:05 AM, Pcardad said:

Important to note that not all cruises cost Regent the same to run. Historically, they can see which cruises sell well and which don't. Some cruises are run to get to and from more desirable areas - like transatlantic cruises without the transatlantic part. Regent has all this data and tries to get top dollar for all cruises and adds incentives as needed to sell all the cabins.

Yep.  I've just looked in some brand-new itineraries for December 2026, and the economy class air addition, for example for round-trip Sydney cruise, is $7,760 per person ($14,110 business class per person)!

VERANDA SUITE H

$7,699
PER PERSON
+$7,760 *ULTIMATE UPGRADE WITH ECONOMY AIR
PER PERSON
+$14,110 *ULTIMATE UPGRADE WITH BUSINESS AIR
PER PERSON

On 7/21/2024 at 10:25 AM, kirtihk said:

Everything is a “special” in that sense that you described. Regardless, as to your “when a cruise isn’t selling”, our nearest cruise had the included pre/post 3-day land tour offer at the time of our booking which was almost at the beginning of it being on sale (like 2 years ago).  At that point it’s hard to state the cruise “isn’t selling”.

Ok...  regardless, it's still simply a marketing tour to add to the attraction of the cruise, for whatever reason Regent feels they need to add to the attraction of the cruise. 😏

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Ok...  regardless, it's still simply a marketing tour to add to the attraction of the cruise, for whatever reason Regent feels they need to add to the attraction of the cruise. 😏

I don't know whether it's sad or funny (or both) - I've been hearing this writing (and talking) style a lot lately somewhere.  Did you (perhaps) ironically (or sarcastically) write your statement this particular way?

Edited by kirtihk

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I don't know whether it's sad or funny (or both) - I've been hearing this writing (and talking) style a lot lately somewhere.  Did you (perhaps) ironically (or sarcastically) write your statement this particular way?

Well.... YOU said "At that point it’s hard to state the cruise 'isn’t selling," indicating you doubt that is the reason,  so yes, I did write my statement this way.  But honestly, what are we discussing this for anyway?   Does any of it really matter?  Either a pre or post cruise tour will be included or not included.  Why they choose to do it is totally irrelevant. 

Is that a better way to state it? 😏

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Well.... YOU said "At that point it’s hard to state the cruise 'isn’t selling," indicating you doubt that is the reason,  so yes, I did write my statement this way.  But honestly, what are we discussing this for anyway?   Does any of it really matter?  Either a pre or post cruise tour will be included or not included.  Why they choose to do it is totally irrelevant. 

Is that a better way to state it? 😏

I agree.  Then, there is no reason to discuss any matter related to someone's decisions.  For example, did you read my post # 138 (regarding air pricing)?  It is $7,760 pp economy, or it might be $2,300 or so; it is $14,110 pp business (worth of 20 7-night cruises on non-luxury cruise lines inside cabin!!!), or it might be, perhaps, reasonable $6,220.  It is what it is (why it's that way is superfluous).  However, any conversation has useful points, and thank you for that!  I will remember it and approach my thinking in this ("irrelevant") direction for future matters involving annoying (irritating) topics.

PS. I liked your smile in each post, too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I agree.  Then, there is no reason to discuss any matter related to someone's decisions.  For example, did you read my post # 138 (regarding air pricing)?  It is $7,760 pp economy, or it might be $2,300 or so; it is $14,110 pp business (worth of 20 7-night cruises on non-luxury cruise lines inside cabin!!!), or it might be, perhaps, reasonable $6,220.  It is what it is (why it's that way is superfluous).  However, any conversation has useful points, and thank you for that!  I will remember it and approach my thinking in this ("irrelevant") direction for future matters involving annoying (irritating) topics.

PS. I liked your smile in each post, too.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Your out of pocket costs for air is relevant. Why Regent added a land package is not.

16 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I will remember it and approach my thinking in this ("irrelevant") direction for future matters involving annoying (irritating) topics.

Glad I could help. 😜

Seriously, all I meant was that we had come to an impasse and at the end of the day the tours would either be offered or not, and we would really just never know why.  As with air pricing, we can speculate as to why Regent prices air the way they do, but truth be told, like any other offer, it is either of value to us and we book it, or not of value to us and we don't.  The reasoning is not really a factor in the decision.  To misquote the late, great, Vince Lombardi “Bottom line isn't everything; it's the only thing,”😎

9 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Your out of pocket costs for air is relevant. Why Regent added a land package is not.

How?  It is what it is (no matter what one might think of that).

• Like 1

Well, the issue of business class airfare certainly made it easier to book our next cruise with Regent.  The next set of cruises came out today, via e-mail.  We always look to book as far in the future as possible (we had booked a Christmas/NewYears cruise in the Caribbean on Mariner for 2025/2026 some time ago).  So I was thinking of booking another Christmas cruise, but it looked like pretty much the same itinerary on Mariner, so that was a pass.  

Then I saw a Panama Canal crossing.  On Grandeur.  In January 2027.  Well, let me start by saying DH is an engineer, and the Panama Canal is on his bucket list.  The ports on this cruise are beautiful.  It's a sixteen (16) day cruise, which is our sweet spot (we like fourteen to twenty-one day cruises).  We have not been on Grandeur yet, and the whole Faberge Egg thing sounds too ostentatious for our taste, and some of the decor does seem a bit over the top, but the cabins have been decorated with restraint, and the color scheme is such that it does not remind me of the Middle Eastern airlines, which can really be jarring in their excess, so I think it will be fine.

We booked an F2 Superior Suite, mostly because we like the larger bathroom and definitely like the walk-in closet.  Our first Regent experience was on Voyager, where you take the walk-in closet for granted at any cabin level.  It makes such a difference.  Anyhow, it's what we have come to value on Regent, so it's what we book.

When asked whether we wanted to include airfare with our cruise, I said, "No."  I can find better deals by doing a bit of research on my own.  On this trip, we can take the short hop to LA in economy if necessary and then fly back from Miami in the comfort of Business Class.

So, will Regent become the way we travel to take Caribbean cruises and cruises out of San Pedro?  Probably, if the price and itinerary are right.  Will we consider Regent for travel to/from Europe again?  Not likely.  While DH does enjoy traveling to/from Europe on a ship rather than via plane, Cunard is more likely to get us where we want to go (Germany) more months of the year, so we have already booked that in the Grills for next year to get there (we'll fly back in time for my college reunion).  If we like that, it may end up being something we do more often, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ysolde said:

Well, the issue of business class airfare certainly made it easier to book our next cruise with Regent.  The next set of cruises came out today, via e-mail.  We always look to book as far in the future as possible (we had booked a Christmas/NewYears cruise in the Caribbean on Mariner for 2025/2026 some time ago).  So I was thinking of booking another Christmas cruise, but it looked like pretty much the same itinerary on Mariner, so that was a pass.  

Then I saw a Panama Canal crossing.  On Grandeur.  In January 2027.  Well, let me start by saying DH is an engineer, and the Panama Canal is on his bucket list.  The ports on this cruise are beautiful.  It's a sixteen (16) day cruise, which is our sweet spot (we like fourteen to twenty-one day cruises).  We have not been on Grandeur yet, and the whole Faberge Egg thing sounds too ostentatious for our taste, and some of the decor does seem a bit over the top, but the cabins have been decorated with restraint, and the color scheme is such that it does not remind me of the Middle Eastern airlines, which can really be jarring in their excess, so I think it will be fine.

We booked an F2 Superior Suite, mostly because we like the larger bathroom and definitely like the walk-in closet.  Our first Regent experience was on Voyager, where you take the walk-in closet for granted at any cabin level.  It makes such a difference.  Anyhow, it's what we have come to value on Regent, so it's what we book.

When asked whether we wanted to include airfare with our cruise, I said, "No."  I can find better deals by doing a bit of research on my own.  On this trip, we can take the short hop to LA in economy if necessary and then fly back from Miami in the comfort of Business Class.

So, will Regent become the way we travel to take Caribbean cruises and cruises out of San Pedro?  Probably, if the price and itinerary are right.  Will we consider Regent for travel to/from Europe again?  Not likely.  While DH does enjoy traveling to/from Europe on a ship rather than via plane, Cunard is more likely to get us where we want to go (Germany) more months of the year, so we have already booked that in the Grills for next year to get there (we'll fly back in time for my college reunion).  If we like that, it may end up being something we do more often, but we'll see.

We did this exact cruise on Grandeur (not sure if the ports were the same but probably close) and LOVED it!  I'm not an engineer but found the Canal crossing fascinating.  Had a great narrator on board on the bridge describing everything!  Your DH will be in "hog heaven" for sure!  

And we were also in an F2 Suite.  It is now our favorite suite!  The ship is beautiful, but I agree has a bit of the "over the top" feel. As for the Egg....well... it sure is a "conversation piece."😱

Have a wonderful cruise!! 😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We did this exact cruise on Grandeur (not sure if the ports were the same but probably close) and LOVED it!  I'm not an engineer but found the Canal crossing fascinating.  Had a great narrator on board on the bridge describing everything!  Your DH will be in "hog heaven" for sure!  

And we were also in an F2 Suite.  It is now our favorite suite!  The ship is beautiful, but I agree has a bit of the "over the top" feel. As for the Egg....well... it sure is a "conversation piece."😱

Have a wonderful cruise!! 😎

It really looks fascinating, and beautiful, and well, perfect.  I think this suite category on Grandeur will be just right for us.  And it will be nice to explore a new to us ship in a new year.  I think we are finding our groove.

• Like 1