Digital fare app (Shorelink) for buses and ferries now live

Charles4515

• Charles4515 changed the title to Digital fare app (Shorelink) for buses and ferries now live
Posted (edited)

This is brand new so there will be a learning curve and possible glitches. The app has tutorials on how to use it.  

I noticed that the ticket booklets are available. I wonder if the digital  tickets version has an expiration date. 

Edited by Charles4515

The app will take Visa and Master Card. Not Discover or AMEX. The fares are in BMD which is exchanges equal to USD. If you have a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees you would want o use that card as those fees could be as high as 3%.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The NJ payment system uses validators that scan a barcode from what I can tell. Here in North Texas we self validate and then show the driver our activated ticket when we board a bus. It will say Activated in large type. You are supposed to activate just before boarding. No scanning. The driver looks at my phone. Activated single ticket is good for two hours, day pass 24 hours. I notice the tickets in the app have to be self activated  like on our app but there is a QR code. I don’t know if that has to be scanned. They don’t say. 

Since they bought it from a British company and is used by some UK bus companies it may work better than NJ Transits app. 😆

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

regarding the passes you can buy on shorlink, i see people are also talking about  the $7 per person shuttle to places like horseshoe bay for instance. is this separate from the day pass you can buy for the bus/ ferry?  is the shuttle its own thing? or do the passes work on ferries/ buses and shuttles.

58 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

regarding the passes you can buy on shorlink, i see people are also talking about  the $7 per person shuttle to places like horseshoe bay for instance. is this separate from the day pass you can buy for the bus/ ferry?  is the shuttle its own thing? or do the passes work on ferries/ buses and shuttles.

The $7 shuttles are not included in the  transportation passes. They are privately owned and operated. The transportation passes only work on public ferries and public buses. 

Edited by Charles4515

just discovered this. can you buy your passes prior to getting off the ship then use them without internet access on the island?

faq is clear as mud.  i have andriod and im sure i can tether off my gfs phone but still it's really silly that senior passes can be used offline but others cant. why!?! especially when apple can

An internet connection (Mobile Data or Wi-Fi) is required to purchase tickets and access other app features.

• Passengers using IOS devices (iPhones and other Apple devices) will be able to activate all fares they’ve purchased whether their device is online or offline. To activate any fare besides Senior, Student, and Special Persons passes offline however, devices must not be in airplane mode and the cellular data setting must not be turned off.

• Passengers using Android devices (Samsung and other phones) will be able to activate Senior, Student and Special Persons passes when they are offline. They will require cell data or Wi-Fi to activate all other fares (tickets, tokens, etc.) purchased in the app.

Edited by luckyinpa

19 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

just discovered this. can you buy your passes prior to getting off the ship then use them without internet access on the island?

I have not used it yet but reading the tutorial you can buy tickets or passes in advance but you can’t use them without internet. You have to activate the ticket in front of the driver or collector. We have the same system here locally and I have to be online to activate my day pass. It won’t activate without cell service. I think it works the same way there it seems to be the same system. 

Edited by Charles4515

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

wow whats the delay like for people to activate it on the bus . i feel bad enough they have to punch the card the first time but to avoid the line at the dockyard id gladly cause a delay on the bus while they wait for mine to activate

Mine here activate immediately. There is no delay.  I don’t know how it is working out in Bermuda. There were complaints when they first started in Bermuda. I have heard nothing good or bad in weeks about it. 

i read this

Once purchased, fares are stored in your in-app wallet. To use a fare, you must activate it. You can activate a ticket in the wallet by clicking the ‘Activate Ticket’ button. Alternatively, you can activate it using a QR code scan, which should be displayed in the transport vehicle, or manually input the vehicle ID printed on the same flyer as the QR code.

so can i assume on the bus or ferry there is a QR code i scan every time i enter the ferry/bus?

the bermuda vid is lacking a walk thru and i like to be prepared and not be a tourist!

Edited by luckyinpa

15 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i read this

Once purchased, fares are stored in your in-app wallet. To use a fare, you must activate it. You can activate a ticket in the wallet by clicking the ‘Activate Ticket’ button. Alternatively, you can activate it using a QR code scan, which should be displayed in the transport vehicle, or manually input the vehicle ID printed on the same flyer as the QR code.

so can i assume on the bus or ferry there is a QR code i scan every time i enter the ferry/bus?

the bermuda vid is lacking a walk thru and i like to be prepared and not be a tourist!

I don’t know. Here my ticket says activated after self activation by me. We don’t have QR codes and the driver doesn’t do anything but look at the ticket to see we have activated it. From the video it appears the driver might scan the activated ticket. That would add time to the process. 

10 minutes ago, DanJ said:

We just went in to the pink building beside the ferry dock and bought the physical card. Easy peasy. No internet needed lol. 

you got lucky then..back in may the line was crazy long ..was hot..just not fun. id rather avoid that again.