Just booked my first Fred cruise!

Thanks. We do not necessarily want children or teenagers but not a really old clientele either. A difficult balance but it would be nice to go from Liverpool rather than Southampton so we’ll keep considering it. 

just booked first Fred Olsen cruise next Easter out of Newcastle-30 miles away]

we usually go for balconies but have an outside cabin with picture window

dont expect to be able to use balcony anyway because of cool weather likely but we shall see how we find it

On 7/14/2024 at 8:00 PM, Mymarina Bay said:

Also booked our first cruise with Fred sailing on Bolette out of Liverpool in October.  Clocked up 3k+ points with P&O over the past 24 years as well as Celebrity and Princess.  Looking forward to a short train journey (or taxi) to port and sailing on a smaller ship although dont think the original Arcadia was that big.

I really hope that you enjoy this cruise, the smaller ships have a special place in my heart. 

We’re (husband and I) going on Bolette in October too, seeking sun and warmth, hopefully! My first ever cruise back in 2009 was with my mum on Black Watch to Norway, I was in my mid-thirties then and definitely one of the youngest passengers. We cruised to celebrate mum’s 65th birthday, which occurred while we were on board. We loved the cruise and it suited our personalities down to the ground. 
I was back on Black Watch in 2012, this time with mum and with 15yo eldest son, had 13 nights up to the North Cape and had a great time again. 
Since then we’ve cruised with many different lines, dictated purely by dates booked off from work so no particular loyalty. I’ll never sail Royal Caribbean again though, too busy and loud for me. 

I’m looking forward to a relaxing cruise, we’ve had quite a tough few months. We may not even get off at Bilbao as we’ve been there before. Having a 20 minute journey to Liverpool port is just the icing on the cake! 

9 hours ago, Jules. said:

I really hope that you enjoy this cruise, the smaller ships have a special place in my heart. 

We’re (husband and I) going on Bolette in October too, seeking sun and warmth, hopefully! My first ever cruise back in 2009 was with my mum on Black Watch to Norway, I was in my mid-thirties then and definitely one of the youngest passengers. We cruised to celebrate mum’s 65th birthday, which occurred while we were on board. We loved the cruise and it suited our personalities down to the ground. 
I was back on Black Watch in 2012, this time with mum and with 15yo eldest son, had 13 nights up to the North Cape and had a great time again. 
Since then we’ve cruised with many different lines, dictated purely by dates booked off from work so no particular loyalty. I’ll never sail Royal Caribbean again though, too busy and loud for me. 

I’m looking forward to a relaxing cruise, we’ve had quite a tough few months. We may not even get off at Bilbao as we’ve been there before. Having a 20 minute journey to Liverpool port is just the icing on the cake! 

If you don’t fancy the trip to Bilbao have you been to the actual town of  Getxo? It’s a nice walk along the promenade and up the lift in the side of the mountain to the town.

It’s not a big town but does have some nice shops, a few tapas bars etc. A nice way to spend a morning.

11 hours ago, Jules. said:

We are looking forward to it especially the short journey to embark. Visited the ports before although only once to Gijon.  We hope to get the metro to Bilbao as we are docked until 10 pm but disappointed Fred's shuttle doesn't drop you in Bilbao. Getxo is quite nice we had lunch there once although didnt cross the Vizcayha bridge but its on our to do list. A shortish journey from home definitely ticks my box.

• 2 weeks later...

We did our first with Fred from Newcastle back in May , We were a bit sceptical and not sure what to expect . We did the 5 day Norway fyords on Balmoral , done many other cruises on bigger newer ships . However it was great , yes an older smaller ship but in great nick . We had drinks pack and with very calm seas and 26 degrees most of the time . Great service and felt like standards of many years ago on cruises . We will be returning 

• Like 2