(Messina) It’s a longshot but I gotta ask the question!🤞

Aquaticdreams

Messina is one of the stops on our January 2025 cruise (7:00 AM - 4:00PM). I was born in the US but my parents and 3 of my siblings were from the small village of Librizzi which is in the Messina province. I would love to visit the town to see my family’s homeland while in port. A google search indicates it’s an hour away but I am unfamiliar with the area & transportation. We would not rent a car so I will need to find out if it’s actually feasible to get there and back. I know it’s a lonshot but…is anyone familiar with this town and whether or not it would be possible to visit and the best way to get there? 🤞🤞 Thanks!

IMG_8208.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You can get most of the way by train, from Messina Centrale to Patti-S. Piero Patti.  The train times vary, the fastest one is about 40 minutes and departs at 7:55, which you should have no trouble making.  Messina Centrale is walking distance from the cruise port (one-half mile).

Once you are at Patti you'll need to get a taxi to cover the last nine miles up to Librizzi.  I would not expect to find them waiting at the station, but you can ask someone (at a bar or newsstand) to call one for you.  To be on the safe side, if you don't speak Italian, write down what you need  (something like Abbiamo bisogno di un taxi per andare a Librizzi.  Potrebbe chiamarlo per noi?).  Be sure to arrange to have the taxi come back for you if there aren't any in Librizzi.

Before going through all that, however, I would look into hiring a car service for the day.  You'll be there way, way off season so there should be plenty available at reasonable rates.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thank you so much! I doubted anyone knew where this small village of 1500 people was. This is super helpful!! It sounds like I would be able to visit for at least three hours. I will investigate both options - private driver and the train/taxi. Also, I don’t speak Italian so I appreciate the suggestion and translation! 

• Like 1

@Aquaticdreams I hope  you get to achieve this feat!  My grandfather emigrated to the US from Sicily when he was 7, in 1927.  We always have a good laugh bc he arrived to New York at Ellis Island the day Lindbergh arrived back in NY and he thought all the parades were welcoming him to the US - he thought what an amazing country to welcome him with a big parade. 🤣 He was from Licatta which is way too far from when we stop in Messina in Sept but at least I'll be on the same island. ❤️ 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, erby2283 said:

@Aquaticdreams I hope  you get to achieve this feat!  My grandfather emigrated to the US from Sicily when he was 7, in 1927.  We always have a good laugh bc he arrived to New York at Ellis Island the day Lindbergh arrived back in NY and he thought all the parades were welcoming him to the US - he thought what an amazing country to welcome him with a big parade. 🤣 He was from Licatta which is way too far from when we stop in Messina in Sept but at least I'll be on the same island. ❤️ 

Thanks! This story is priceless! You made my day. Glad you’re going to get to see Messina too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks! This story is priceless! You made my day. Glad you’re going to get to see Messina too!

Report back and let me know how it goes. Would love to see your pictures. Looks like a beautifuk hilltop village.