Highlights of Antartica booked! OMG!

Priya2

I’m so excited. I started this afternoon thinking we might book a £3500pp Antartica cruise with Princess Cruises. We have sailed Antartica in 2017 with Azamara. It was lovely, but I have huge misgivings about contributing to pollution in that area on a standard cruise ship. Anyway, one thing led to another and we’ve signed up to a very expensive, but gorgeous looking trip sailing on 10th March ‘25. I’m loving that it’s a hybrid ship and the company has such great eco friendly policies.

1 hour ago, Priya2 said:

I’m so excited. I started this afternoon thinking we might book a £3500pp Antartica cruise with Princess Cruises. We have sailed Antartica in 2017 with Azamara. It was lovely, but I have huge misgivings about contributing to pollution in that area on a standard cruise ship. Anyway, one thing led to another and we’ve signed up to a very expensive, but gorgeous looking trip sailing on 10th March ‘25. I’m loving that it’s a hybrid ship and the company has such great eco friendly policies.

I don't want to point out something that you may already know, but you know that this cruise does not "stop" anywhere in Antarctica and let you go ashore on the Antarctic Continent - right?

The size of this ship and the number of passengers does not allow for shore landings.  You are listening to someone speaking and pointing out areas of interest as you sail by.

You may know this, so please forgive me if you do, it is just that most people want to set foot on the Continent.

Hi CND, I probably wasn’t clear. I had in mind the £3500pp Princess cruise, but in the end booked the Hurtigruten Roald Amundsen 😀

2 hours ago, Priya2 said:

Hi CND, I probably wasn’t clear. I had in mind the £3500pp Princess cruise, but in the end booked the Hurtigruten Roald Amundsen 😀

I just assumed you'd booked something on Hurtigruten, because this is the Hurtigruten forum.

Have a wonderful trip (with or without 'guilt' -- after all, you will be flying many miles on jets to and from South America that burn fossil fuels).

DH and I are also finally heading  to Antarctica this coming season , but not on Hurtigruten (for various reasons). We had been putting it off a long time, each year a different excuse, but figured that it's just a matter of time before it is completely banned to tourists, so we better get to it now (guilt-free, again, for various reasons 🙂). 

Note there is also an Antarctica forum on CC, it might be good to subscribe to that to help with preparation. It helped a lot to both inspire and prepare us (including the photos by CDN Polar!)

10 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I just assumed you'd booked something on Hurtigruten, because this is the Hurtigruten forum.

Have a wonderful trip (with or without 'guilt' -- after all, you will be flying many miles on jets to and from South America that burn fossil fuels).

DH and I are also finally heading  to Antarctica this coming season , but not on Hurtigruten (for various reasons). We had been putting it off a long time, each year a different excuse, but figured that it's just a matter of time before it is completely banned to tourists, so we better get to it now (guilt-free, again, for various reasons 🙂). 

Note there is also an Antarctica forum on CC, it might be good to subscribe to that to help with preparation. It helped a lot to both inspire and prepare us (including the photos by CDN Polar!)

12 hours ago, Priya2 said:

I wondered about posting Princess in the Hurtigruten forum.

In any case, we were on the Nansen, but sister ship and I think identical.

We had the absolute best time on this cruise and this is the best cruise of our lives to date and probably always will be.  You cannot express exactly why it is so great, you have to experience it.  

In my signature you will find a link to our. personal videos - one of the Antarctica.  This is a non monetized site, so I am not trying to drive traffic...

@Catlover54 comment about being banned to tourists, this is a distinct possibility as the traffic heading there is incredibly on the rise.  However, the region is governed by very strict rules, and all tour companies sailing there must abide, but I can see that in the future if over tourism starts to harm the environment, that it will be stopped or at least have strict limits.

• Like 1

@Priya2 Hubby and I were on the RA for an Antartica Circle Expedition this past Feb. Loved the ship, the crew, and all the landings and zodiac cruising, which were included. Our sailing had just about 300 passengers which was perfect. Let me know if you have any specific questions.