So much has changed in photography

Posted (edited)

2015 saw the end of Costco's on-site film processing. I spoke to the manager about why and he said the demand for film processing was almost non-existent and didn't even cover the cost of maintaining the machines. It was only a couple years later that the entire lab disappeared due to the previously high-volume of small prints drying up.

I guess I contributed to that since I hadn't processed film or ordered 4x6 prints since 2001.

image.thumb.png.73e72e865235ce986cb3b014b8a58d3b.png

No regrets. Things change and I would guess that people have easier access to their photos than ever. I know I do. 

Dave

Edited by pierces

After several years of immersion in digital photography I went to Freestyle yesterday and stocked up on chemistry and paper to make some prints.  I guess I just want to escape the 21st century for a bit and return to my old reality.  I know that I can make excellent prints with my computer and printer but there is just something about doing it the old fashioned way that is very satisfying.

tom

• I understand the nostalgia but will never go back after moving to digital in 2001. I can still remember the smell of the acetic acid in the fixer as I developed this picture of my girlfriend (now wife) in my photography class during my Junior year in high school. Fond memories, but after returning from an epic Panama Canal transit cruise in 2000 with 14 out of 20 rolls of film completely blank due to a silent failure of the shutter in my main camera, my trust in analog imaging has dropped below gas station sushi.KimberleeMatthews-Circa1974.thumb.jpg.8e161671b18c947e002d08d51803e9a1.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

I understand that after having a shutter failure on a film camera while on an Alaska trip.  For me digital became a thing on a trip to South America when I didn't want to lose everything, again.  I haven't looked back.  But I have this swell fully equipped darkroom behind the garage and some very nice medium and large format equipment.  So while digital is my primary method now, including videos and drone, I still like to take advantage of what I have and take the slow road.  But then my career, although it involved some photography, was never photo-centric.  So as a hobby I can still do both.  But digital is a lot easier just not as rewarding to me.

If you ever miss the darkroom head west to Pasadena and I'll let you have at it.

tom

Don't say it if you don't mean it! I still have a Maximum 5 with a 35-105 in the gear archive.

I'm firmly digital but if I had an actual darkroom in the south 40, I might be tempted to stray from the new religion.

Enjoy your blast from the past!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Shutter failure....in the middle of an MLB photo day back in the film days.  I only found out when the camera totally jammed up.  I was grabbing guys left and light to re=shoot.  That is what I love about digital, I can really see what I am doing, what is really happening.  Another on film MLB disaster was the time we gelling backgrounds and even though the polaroid test showed a nice burgundy color the film version show up pink...client was not happy.  I have a 1969 Nikon F with two lenes that sits on my book case shelf for me to remember those days.  My first real for work camera was that same model and year.  Some day I may get brave and take it out again, maybe.

13 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

My first real for work camera was that same model and year.  Some day I may get brave and take it out again, maybe.

My desire to return to film is two steps behind my desire to get a land line and a rotary dial phone. 🙂

Digital saved my love of photography from what could have been a killing blow, and I'll be forever grateful. I'm also pretty happy about the 100+ reusable 24 exposure rolls of film loaded into my camera right now. 

Dave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pierces said:

My desire to return to film is two steps behind my desire to get a land line and a rotary dial phone. 🙂

Digital saved my love of photography from what could have been a killing blow, and I'll be forever grateful. I'm also pretty happy about the 100+ reusable 24 exposure rolls of film loaded into my camera right now. 

Dave

I agree completely. Between auto focus and digital I was able to keep working for an extra 10 years.   The Nikon F is a paper weight/musem piece to remind me of way back when. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 5:46 AM, pierces said:

I still have nightmares where the rotary phone figures prominently. 🤣

I was a high school teacher who taught photography. Had a huge darkroom loved to develop photos. Back in the early 2000s I got my first Sony DSC-P1 digital camera. I went to a session at a teachers convention on photography. Hoping to learn more about digital photography.  He talked about digital but still talked traditional film cameras.  By the time I retired a few years a go the dark room was a storage room and I was doing lessons on phone photography. I enjoyed being in  the darkroom but I really don’t miss the smell and the hassle. But it is a skill I am glad I have. Most students want to learn how to take better photos with there phones. Photography has changed I love my digital camera. 

11 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I still have nightmares where the rotary phone figures prominently. 🤣

I hear there's a remake in the works from Apple TV called "Siri, call Murder".

image.png.8d05a4f085828d1574888d442293e83d.png

Dave

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...