Viking Venus "Viking Homelands" Bergen to Stockholm June 28-July 12, 2024

We just disembarked after a great cruise from Bergen to Stockholm (June 28-July 12).  After cruising extensively on Seabourn, Silversea and Regent, we decided to try Viking and we are very happy we did.  Great itinerary, great food, great crew and a great casual, non-pretentious ambiance.  We love going to lectures, and we particularly enjoyed the highly informative, educational and entertaining lectures from a theatrical producer from NY, Steven Rivellino. He truly stood out as a highlight of this trip. Outstanding presentations, accompanied by beautiful graphics and videoclips, and a wonderful, charismatic personality.  The other lecturer and the resident historian were less engaging and there was a lot of overlap in their subject matter. We heard quite a bot about the history of the Vikings ands the cities we visited.  It was somewhat redundant especially since there was also a port talk every day ion every port of call. Viking Venus singers and the evening shows were top-notch, and so were the shows given by the cruise directors and the assistant cruise director, both excellent singers. We were also very impressed by Viking's efficiency in handling the embarkation process, the transfers from the airport to ship and the tours.  Very well organized, no crowding at the gangway, and there was always a Viking representative available and visible at every port of a call.  Overall, a great experience.  In many ways, Viking surpasses the quality of many other, more expensive cruise lines we have been on. My wife and I will definitely return to Viking in the near future.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

We got off Venus when you got on and had the same experience. One of our best cruises. I just wish the theatrical producer had been on ours. I can only take so much historical conversation. 😃

• Like 2

Viking Homelands was our first VO cruise 6 years ago. We are fortunate and grateful to have sailed the traditional route before the world changed. This included an overnight in St. Petersburg and visits to Tallin, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland, although our cruise didn't call on Oslo. Tallin was my favorite port. Such a beautiful part of the world is the Baltic. We sailed VO again in 2019 and had bookings for 2020 and 2021 that were cancelled. 

We look forward to getting back on a Viking ship this October for the Cities of Antiquity itinerary (Rome to Athens).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hanoj said:

Viking Homelands was our first VO cruise 6 years ago. We are fortunate and grateful to have sailed the traditional route before the world changed. This included an overnight in St. Petersburg and visits to Tallin, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland, although our cruise didn't call on Oslo. Tallin was my favorite port. Such a beautiful part of the world is the Baltic. We sailed VO again in 2019 and had bookings for 2020 and 2021 that were cancelled. 

We look forward to getting back on a Viking ship this October for the Cities of Antiquity itinerary (Rome to Athens).

How fascinating!  Our first Viking cruise was also 6 years ago and on the Homelands Itinerary, Stockholm to Bergen (and including St. Petersburg)  May 2018.  Maybe we were on together 🙂

Viking Sky.  It was indeed a beautiful ship and wonderful trip - and it set us on the road to many Viking cruises to come (currently at 19 taken)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

How fascinating!  Our first Viking cruise was also 6 years ago and on the Homelands Itinerary, Stockholm to Bergen (and including St. Petersburg)  May 2018.  Maybe we were on together 🙂

Viking Sky.  It was indeed a beautiful ship and wonderful trip - and it set us on the road to many Viking cruises to come (currently at 19 taken)

We were on Viking Sea that embarked in Stockholm on May 29, 2018. I recalled seeing another Viking ship leaving St. Petersburg when were arriving May 31, but a review of my photos reveals it was the formerly christened Sun. 

IMG_0738.jpeg

Edited by Hanoj
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Globecruiser22 said:

We just disembarked after a great cruise from Bergen to Stockholm (June 28-July 12).  After cruising extensively on Seabourn, Silversea and Regent, we decided to try Viking and we are very happy we did.  Great itinerary, great food, great crew and a great casual, non-pretentious ambiance.  We love going to lectures, and we particularly enjoyed the highly informative, educational and entertaining lectures from a theatrical producer from NY, Steven Rivellino. He truly stood out as a highlight of this trip. Outstanding presentations, accompanied by beautiful graphics and videoclips, and a wonderful, charismatic personality.  The other lecturer and the resident historian were less engaging and there was a lot of overlap in their subject matter. We heard quite a bot about the history of the Vikings ands the cities we visited.  It was somewhat redundant especially since there was also a port talk every day ion every port of call. Viking Venus singers and the evening shows were top-notch, and so were the shows given by the cruise directors and the assistant cruise director, both excellent singers. We were also very impressed by Viking's efficiency in handling the embarkation process, the transfers from the airport to ship and the tours.  Very well organized, no crowding at the gangway, and there was always a Viking representative available and visible at every port of a call.  Overall, a great experience.  In many ways, Viking surpasses the quality of many other, more expensive cruise lines we have been on. My wife and I will definitely return to Viking in the near future.

Thank you for sharing your experience on the Viking Homelands cruise! 

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Viking Venus "Homelands" cruise Stockholm to Bergen (July 12 - July 26)... I guess the cruise immediately following yours.  Fantastic.  All beautifully done.  Great food.  Excellent crew/service... very attentive.  Always with a happy greeting and a smile.  As you say, lectures were very good... and the theater producer Steven Rivellino you mentioned was onboard our cruise as well.  He really stood out with his interesting topics, easy style, and very unique presentations.  Both embarkation and disembarkation were easy... very well organized.  No lines.  No waiting.  Shore Excursion team... excellent.  Can't wait for the next one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Island Venturer said:

We just returned from Viking Venus "Homelands" cruise Stockholm to Bergen (July 12 - July 26)... I guess the cruise immediately following yours.  Fantastic.  All beautifully done.  Great food.  Excellent crew/service... very attentive.  Always with a happy greeting and a smile.  As you say, lectures were very good... and the theater producer Steven Rivellino you mentioned was onboard our cruise as well.  He really stood out with his interesting topics, easy style, and very unique presentations.  Both embarkation and disembarkation were easy... very well organized.  No lines.  No waiting.  Shore Excursion team... excellent.  Can't wait for the next one.

Hear hear.  Well said.  We have also just returned from this one.  

We didnt get to many lectures, there always seemed to be something else to do.  Not least being out on deck with the fabulous scenery.  

Thankfully, 2 more booked!

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed on the Viking Neptune Bergen to Stockholm in July.  The majority of our previous travel has been in the small group format so this was something quite different.  While we have taken a few river cruises, we did not think we would enjoy a larger ocean cruise (based on a negative experience many years ago...too many people, too much waiting in line, etc.). We booked the Homelands cruise at the last minute after we went on a Viking river cruise in the spring and were really impressed with the service, the crew and the itinerary.  We loved our Homelands cruise. No detail is overlooked by Viking. The ship never felt crowded and was filled with congenial travelers.  We went ebike riding, kayaking and took a beer walk...fantastic.  We attended several lectures and we really liked that aspect of travel with Viking.  We only attended 2 of the evening performances, but they were excellent (tip:  get there early to get a seat!). We would definitely cruise again with Viking given the right itinerary.

• Like 1