Missing middle names a problem with Silversea?

palebluedot

Just booked our first ever Silversea cruise this morning and didn't enter our middle names when doing so (we're pretty much new to cruising, but I never use our middle names on airline tix and that has been fine). Then I went to fill out the documentation and there was all this language about making sure your name matches your passport exactly. I left a message for the Silversea consultant but he hasn't gotten back to me yet - is this a problem?

I booked via the phone and they misspelled my SO's name but a call to have it fixed was all it took. I've had an issue at one airport when the airline decided to move part of my first name into my middle name as an initial - so its best to be airtight.

If it's been more than a few days then try calling again. 

5 hours ago, palebluedot said:

Just booked our first ever Silversea cruise this morning and didn't enter our middle names when doing so (we're pretty much new to cruising, but I never use our middle names on airline tix and that has been fine). Then I went to fill out the documentation and there was all this language about making sure your name matches your passport exactly. I left a message for the Silversea consultant but he hasn't gotten back to me yet - is this a problem?

Definitely have your full name on the Silversea booking the same as your passport.  Often it will not matter, but some immigration officers are sticklers for accuracy.  It’s not worth the chance of not being able to board the ship or inability to go ashore.  Extreme, sure, but why risk it?

It is very important your name exactly matches your passport.  When I first got a passport, and started traveling internationally, I discovered I had been misspelling my middle name (Mc vs Mac) forever.  I had to get copy of my birth cert from town I was born in.  I had wrong spelling on my Oregon drivers license.  These days, this is a big deal, so best to get it right from the get go.  It isn't just cruising - in my case I had bought various properties and had to change records to correct spelling.  Not something you want to do. 

Thanks all - I ended up calling the 800 number yesterday since the consultant didn't get back to me. The phone rep was very nice and said they updated it and sent me a new invoice reflecting our middle names (they also said that it shouldn't matter but that they would update it anyhow) - but when I log onto the site to complete our passenger information info, it still does not show our middle names. Not sure what to do about that.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:44 AM, palebluedot said:

Thanks all - I ended up calling the 800 number yesterday since the consultant didn't get back to me. The phone rep was very nice and said they updated it and sent me a new invoice reflecting our middle names (they also said that it shouldn't matter but that they would update it anyhow) - but when I log onto the site to complete our passenger information info, it still does not show our middle names. Not sure what to do about that.

I'm surprised you haven't had a problem flying. I think airlines are the worst sticklers about plane reservations agreeing with passport.

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I'm surprised you haven't had a problem flying. I think airlines are the worst sticklers about plane reservations agreeing with passport.

Yeah, it has never been an issue. We just flew to and from Canada last week with just first and last names, no problem at all. Maybe it's because we have global entry so they very well know who we are?

FWIW, I ended up calling back Silversea a second time, and the rep indicated that the first rep didn't do everything he needed to do to change the middle names on our passenger information... she did it and now it all reflects properly. For an ultra-luxury line, it's disappointing that our consultant never bothered to return my call, and that I had to call twice to resolve the issue - but also, the phone reps were very friendly and did ultimately fix everything, so... I dunno - 3 star experience with customer support so far I guess?

On 7/18/2024 at 3:00 PM, Mahogany said:

There are only a small number of airlines I know of (all of them being Asian airlines) that will make a big deal about middle names. They care more about the name on your ticket matching your frequent flyer account.