A Few Quick Queen Anne Thoughts

JimDee363636

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

JimDee363636 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

My wife and I just completed a 14-night Baltic/Scandinavian cruise on the Queen Anne. For the first time, we were in a Club cabin (rather than a "regular" Britannia balcony) and we felt it was well worth the higher price. We absolutely loved our waiters, our table location, and the fact that we basically had "anytime dining" for three meals a day. (The only time the Club was closed for lunch was on a "turnaround" day, which we had a couple of on this cruise because many German passengers embarked and/or disembarked at Hamburg and Kiel). But beware: many of the Club tables for two are tightly packed together, so go to the Club maitre 'd as soon as you board the ship. Ours was very accommodating in moving us from a "middle table" to one on a wide aisle. And the fact that the Chart Room was directly across the corridor from the restaurant made it even more convenient. The bar staff there, by the way, was outstanding.

The QA Club cabins---exactly the same size as regular Britannia balcony cabins---are quite nice but the closet space would be, for most couples, inadequate for a cruise much longer than the one we took. Twenty-one days maybe, but a world cruise would be out of the question.

Somehow or other, I came down with Covid about four days into the cruise. After a day or two or enduring a sore throat and nasal congestion, I went to the onboard medical center where a quick test revealed I had a "mild" case of Covid. The doctor strongly recommended I purchase a five-day supply of Paxlovid, and I'm glad I did. It was a miracle drug. Within 24 hours I was 60% better and by the 48 hour point I was 100%. During that time I was confined to my cabin (although my wife, who somehow never caught Covid from me, was free to come and go). As confinements go, this couldn't have been better. I could order any and all meals I wanted from the Club dining room, I got free laundry service, the medical staff called me frequently to see how my recovery was coming along, etc. No complaints on my part. The Paxlovid was pretty expensive ($600 U.S.) but given how effective it was it was well worth the cost (which will, I expect, eventually be reimbursed by my health insurer).

I can't comment on many other aspects of the ship because we didn't get to sample everything, so others will have to tell you about the Bright Lights, Royal Theater shows, and such. We did watch the dancers in the Queen's Room a few times after dinner and it's true what others have said: the dance floor is smaller than on the other Cunard ships. But it seemed perfectly adequate for those dancing, who were able to do fox trots, quick steps, and such without colliding with other dancers (provided they knew what they were doing)!

So, all in all, a very nice experience. Not everyone would like the QA, but if you can deal with a 3,000 passenger ship with somewhat cramped cabins, you could do a lot worse. If the itinerary were right, my wife and I would sail the QA again, enthusiastically.

Jim

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

One more comment:

We did eat one night at Sir Samuel's, largely because of a promotion (apparently offered only to U.S. guests, for reasons unknown) to dine there without paying the usual $65 pp. "cover charge." It was certainly a good experience, but in my opinion (and that of my culinary school-trained wife) neither the food nor the service was head-and-shoulders above that in the Club dining room. Given that many of the steak entrees incurred additional charges beyond the $65, I'd think twice before using my own money to pay for dinner there. On the other hand, the place was packed that night, so what do I know?

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1