What’s going on with MVJ?

SantaFe1

Posted (edited)

I’ve been trying to go on, and get prompted to enter my email because Viking has changed things to make it more convenient to get on.  So I enter my email, press continue, and then get nothing.  Just a spinning circle.  But while the circle is spinning it sends me an email with a verification code, that I can’t use because I can’t get to the next page.  ARG!  I hate it when companies changes what worked perfectly well to make things “more convenient.”  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’ve been trying to go on, and get prompted to enter my email because Viking has changed things to make it more convenient to get on.  So I enter my email, press continue, and then get nothing.  Just a spinning circle.  But while the circle is spinning it sends me an email with a verification code, that I can’t use because I can’t get to the next page.  ARG!  I hate it when companies changes what worked perfectly well to make things “more convenient.”  

It's driving us crazy too!  They should leave well enough alone.  

• Like 1

Read about this on a social med. website. Yeah, it appears they're trying to upgrade security with their log in credentials. But, they didn't really communicate it to customers. Some said they could still log in with their email and password. I haven't even checked as we don't have anything booked now anyway. 😔

For what it is worth, I had the same problem on my iPad but when I switched to my phone I had no problem getting in. Maybe you could try logging in on a different device?  I agree it should work smoothly everywhere. 

Posted (edited)

I got in with my iPhone with no problem. BTW all my notifications have reset and I got all my notices again from the last six months.

I tried with a password but it fails. It’s only connecting using the two-factor code.

Just a guess about the iPad. Recently I’ve received messages on my iPad saying my browser doesn’t support some new features. I have an old iPad that doesn’t get iOS updates anymore and there is no browser update available. I have a similar issue with my PC with the new version of Windows. New security features aren’t supported because some of the drivers don’t comply and there are no updates available. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

47 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Oddly, I tried first on my iPhone and then switched to my iPad.  Can’t get in on either device.  So glad this isn’t a shore ex booking day!

We are approaching a shore excursion booking day.  We will be travelling on that day, so I'm hoping we can get to MVJ seamlessly.  

Anyway, eventually the "bugs" will get worked out.  We have experienced things like this before on MVJ.  

Just now, millybess said:

We are approaching a shore excursion booking day.  We will be travelling on that day, so I'm hoping we can get to MVJ seamlessly.  

Anyway, eventually the "bugs" will get worked out.  We have experienced things like this before on MVJ.  

This is a major change to the login process. It now requires two-factor authentication. They email you a code when you attempt to login. Can’t use Face ID anymore, which is a pain.

We had to book excursions once while on an extension. We almost had to book while on a tour bus. Luckily we made it back to the hotel in time to use the wi-fi. 

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

This is a major change to the login process. It now requires two-factor authentication. They email you a code when you attempt to login. Can’t use Face ID anymore, which is a pain.

We had to book excursions once while on an extension. We almost had to book while on a tour bus. Luckily we made it back to the hotel in time to use the wi-fi. 

Yes, two-factor authentication, but very poor implementation unfortunately.  

Anyway, we're trying to find a work-around to make it more user-friendly.

We're used to two-factor authentication with banks, airlines, etc., but MVJ is requiring the email address, but still sending a verification code, which also has to be entered.  

The process that they have implemented extremely badly is to allow authentication with either:

your email and a code they send you -- this is like many airline sites (who in their right mind wants to emulate airlines??). 

OR:

Your email and your password as before, however, several clicks are required that were not before AND they send you the stupid code anyway, which just clutters up your mailbox.

HOWEVER if you can't remember your password, and don't have any kind of password manager, then you can logon with the 2FA code.  (Why are you on the internet in this case?)

Down the road, expect login, password, then 2FA code via email.  Yes this is more secure, but it sure is slow.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Just a guess about the iPad. Recently I’ve received messages on my iPad saying my browser doesn’t support some new features. I have an old iPad that doesn’t get iOS updates anymore and there is no browser update available. I have a similar issue with my PC with the new version of Windows. New security features aren’t supported because some of the drivers don’t comply and there are no updates available

This seems to be the problem.  I, too, have an older iPad, but am iPhone 15.  I now get MJV on my iPhone, but nothing on my iPad.  I can install OS 17 (or whatever it is) except I don’t have enough space.  So, Viking has just rendered my iPad useless.  This is very unfortunate.  Perhaps I will try on my husbands newer iPad.  What a pain!  

I can log into MVJ with my laptop using Microsoft Bing.  My wife can't log in using iPad and Safari.  I called Viking and tech support said there's a know issue with Safari (but why didn't they tell us?)  My wife has about 8 emails from Viking with her log-in code, but her iPad Safari webpage has a circle that just keeps spinning.  Not a great day for Viking tech support.

Yes it appears there are many device and version dependencies.   

MillyBess's iPad (air, 5th-gen) works fine, as does her iPhone 15(pro).

My iPad (air, lesser gen) does not work (spin spin spin).  

On a Mac, it may be helpful to copy the login and password settings from myvikingjourney.com to login.viking.com.  (You can do this in Safari-settings-passwords).  The login process is still clunky but it is easier when the login/password data is populated automatically

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

So, Viking has just rendered my iPad useless

That would be Apple, not Viking.

I have some apps that I wrote for the iPad and they no longer work. 

When I checked on the Apple store about trading in my iPad for a new one, they said it was obsolete and would send me a prepaid box for disposal. Zero value.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

No,  that's Viking.  Apple devices and software support certain features at each release point.  MyVikingJourney supported many combinations of device and operating system yesterday that no longer work today.  Apple had nothing to do with that.

That said, no iPad is ever useless.  It's a great device for many things, including "general" web access but also reading (both Kindle and iBooks), not to mention many quite entertaining apps.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Messybill said:

No,  that's Viking.  Apple devices and software support certain features at each release point.  MyVikingJourney supported many combinations of device and operating system yesterday that no longer work today.  Apple had nothing to do with that.

I’m a software developer so I know a little about this. Major OS releases occasionally deprecate functionality and requires the software to use new or different functionality. One of the major areas of changes has been in security. Some of the latest changes require your device to have certain hardware features to use the new security features. In those circumstances no software update can help. It’s entirely possible the new web site is implementing some new security feature and it is incompatible with some devices or requires some other workaround. You can’t test for every device and browser version in existence. You generally test on the last two or three generations / releases / versions / etc. Anything older is a crap shoot. 

My iPad is 12 years old and it can barely load modern websites and is becoming more useless by the day. Some websites state that it doesn’t support it. I also have lots of apps that no longer work and there is no version in the App Store that is compatible. The reality is anything over 10 years old will not work very well. Even Gmail has given me warnings. I suspect the warning is because some core feature is scheduled for depreciation and at some future date will render that useless too. 

Gmail already eliminated their HTML web view earlier this year. I suspect they will require an app in the not to distant future. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Messybill said:

That said, no iPad is ever useless.  It's a great device for many things, including "general" web access but also reading (both Kindle and iBooks), not to mention many quite entertaining apps.

Yes, that’s true, I just meant it’s worthless for MVJ.  That said, I’ve been saying for two years I need a new iPad.  Perhaps this is the impetus to get it.  

57 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

My iPad is 12 years old and it can barely load modern websites and is becoming more useless by the day. Some websites state that it doesn’t support it. I also have lots of apps that no longer work and there is no version in the App Store that is compatible. The reality is anything over 10 years old will not work very well. Even Gmail has given me warnings. I suspect the warning is because some core feature is scheduled for depreciation and at some future date will render that useless too. 

Mine is Six years old.  I got it before our WC in Jan 2019.  Time for a new one.  And BTW, I’m way out of my league here.  Thanks to all!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Perhaps I will try on my husbands newer iPad.  

I loaded  MVJ onto my husband’s  IPad.  It works fine.  I just have trouble reading the small print on an iPhone when I am trying to get work done, like booking excursions.

Edited by SantaFe1

1 hour ago, Messybill said:

And a local hospital will be very grateful for its donation - they are always usable for patients who don't have a device. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I just have trouble reading the small print on an iPhone

There is a text size option in the address bar. Tap on AAIMG_6788.thumb.jpeg.52e38019d28429cd336cb41cab95b33b.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1