Egypt Ports of Call, Visa required ahead of time or provided for on ship?

RiceAndKimchi

Going on a Med cruise later this year, with stops in Egypt (2 stops, one after the other to Port Said and then Alexandria).  Egypt has a Visa on Arrival process that is done at airports, but I don't see any mention about cruise ports. 

I called MSC but their CS reps don't give me much confidence as to what the answer is.  Couldn't give me an answer for 15 minutes before hanging up on me. 

I called a 2nd time, and they just referred me to some outside company that processes visa's for tourists (visahq.com) which just seems ridiculous (just tell me if it's provided for or if I have to get it ahead of time)

I haven't found any specific, recent information on MSC on whether or not provides it to you on ship (Other cruise lines seem to provide it, but not sure how accurate that information is).  Travel agent I am talking with does not know 100% for sure but is trying to find the answer too. 

I figure I can just get the visa ahead of time and not take any chances, but not sure if I need the multi-day VISA since it is 2 days, or if a single entry is ok ? 

Has anyone gone on a cruise recently to Egypt and know what they do?

Posted (edited)

Are you a Canadian passport holder? If not you may not need a pre-approved visa. If so check out the Egypt Embassy in Ottawa Facebook page - they have instructions and forms. Be sure to use the correct form for embassy or consulate depending on where you live in Canada. For our up coming cruise we did multiple days as I heard they do an entry stamp and figured if they also do an exit stamp, which is only a guess, it would burn one entry and our big tour is the next day. From time sent to return was 10 days. 

if not Canadian you may be covered as intransit. MSC does have a page with this kind of information on their site. 

Edited by LeeStewart

No, it is a mix of US and South Korean citizens. 

I also found this:

document-visa-est-mediterranean-summer.pdf (msccruises.com)

And it does say:

TRANSIT EGYPT: All guest in transit in Egypt will receive a fast trip stamp which is valid for 72 hours (free of charge). Final approval sole decision from Local Authorities

It mentions the Canda require pre-issued visa as you mentioned for Canadian citizens. 

So thinking we should be good?  Just wish the MSC agent on the phone was more knowledgeable. 

Cruise companies will only give generic advice as visa's etc are the responsibility of the traveller, they don't won't to be in a position where you blame them for anything. 

We were scheduled to visit Alexandria and Sokhana last year (cancelled due to the middle east war) but I managed to establish that non Canadian travellers were covered under the transit visa. 

Even emailing the Egyptian Embassy in London provided me with conflicted information 😐 so an MSC call agent not knowing isn't a surprise!