Yacht Club Gratuities Clarity Please

I’ve only been on MSC once, in the Yacht Club out of New York and didn’t pay daily gratuities. We have a September cruise out of Southampton on the Virtuosa and just received an email regarding gratuity increases. The Yacht Club is listed. So, my question is, does MSC charge the YC gratuities on a daily basis or have they already been included in my fare? Thanks!

Just now, Basketball wife said:

I’ve only been on MSC once, in the Yacht Club out of New York and didn’t pay daily gratuities. We have a September cruise out of Southampton on the Virtuosa and just received an email regarding gratuity increases. The Yacht Club is listed. So, my question is, does MSC charge the YC gratuities on a daily basis or have they already been included in my fare? Thanks!

I have only sailed once with MSC and that was last week. I was in the YC and  each passenger had a "Hotel Service Charge" debited from our on board account.

44 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

Outside of the US gratuities are included in cruise fare.  With sailings originating in the US you will be charged on a daily basis for you service charges (gratuities).

8 hours ago, Basketball wife said:

. So, my question is, does MSC charge the YC gratuities on a daily basis or have they already been included in my fare? Thanks!

Unless they are embedded in the fare you paid, or you pre-paid them before sailing, they are charged to your account on a daily basis.  You will see one day where they are charged twice to account of the last day of the cruise when they close out accounts.  Since you are from Canada I assume they were included in the fair you payed for your cruise. 

Prior to July 1st. The YC gratuities were $18 a day per person.  Cruises booked after July 1st will pay $20 a day per person. 

17 hours ago, Beaver1975 said:

Outside of the US gratuities are included in cruise fare.  With sailings originating in the US you will be charged on a daily basis for you service charges (gratuities).

It is unfortunately not that easy. And the present rules for Canadian bookings are something that is only known in Canada 🙂 

On 7/20/2024 at 9:08 AM, Beaver1975 said:

Can you adjust the daily amount? If so, is that handled by a trip to GS once onboard? First time on MSC (not first time cruising) so I'm trying to understand their processes before sailing. Yhanks!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Can you adjust the daily amount? If so, is that handled by a trip to GS once onboard? First time on MSC (not first time cruising) so I'm trying to understand their processes before sailing. Yhanks!

What do you mean by "adjust the daily amount"?  We have never adjusted daily gratuities.  We feel that everyone deserves these and those that go over and above deserve more which we give at time of serivce or at the end of the cruise. 

Also if you are in YC there is no need to go to guest services. There is a dedicated 24/7 Concierge desk in the YC that can take care of you. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

What do you mean by "adjust the daily amount"?  We have never adjusted daily gratuities.  We feel that everyone deserves these and those that go over and above deserve more which we give at time of serivce or at the end of the cruise. 

Also if you are in YC there is no need to go to guest services. There is a dedicated 24/7 Concierge desk in the YC that can take care of you. 

Not looking to remove gratuities from anyone - yes, absolutely crew works hard and deserves everything coming to them. Rather than giving cash to select crew members, I'm asking if I can simply adjust the gratuities to have them increased to whatever amount I want so everyone (rather than only certain people) benefit from the higher amount.

I would not be in YC.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Rather than giving cash to select crew members, I'm asking if I can simply adjust the gratuities to have them increased to whatever amount I want so everyone (rather than only certain people) benefit from the higher amount.

Maybe also this depends on the market. For markets where gratuities are mandatory and have to be paid in advance, obviously it is not possible. Before it was possible, when we had two cabins we usually deleted the gratuities for one cabin and increased them for the other to maximize the Voyager points for the family member who needed them most. Otherwise I still would not have Diamond I guess 😄 and after my promotion we gave all gratuities to my brother's cabin until MSC made the change to mandatory payment in advance.

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Not looking to remove gratuities from anyone - yes, absolutely crew works hard and deserves everything coming to them. Rather than giving cash to select crew members, I'm asking if I can simply adjust the gratuities to have them increased to whatever amount I want so everyone (rather than only certain people) benefit from the higher amount.

I do not know the answer to your question. I guess it is something that you would have to take up with Guest Services.  I do not see why they would not let you do it.  I know on another cruise line we sail there is a form we have used to give additional gratuities to specific crew members but not sure if that exist on MSC. 

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I would not be in YC.

Sorry - I took it from the topic that we were talking about Gratuities in the YC.  No big deal. 

• Thanks 1

I just got off the seascape last week.  We were charged $112 each on the second day of the cruise for a total of $224.  It was not a daily per day charge like I usually see on other cruise lines. We were told this was a charge for the whole ship and did nor really cover the tip to the waiter, asst. waiter, room attendant, and Butler, etc.  I was really shocked.  We always tip them extra, but we were told they really get very little of that money so large tips were expected?  So another few hundred dollars to all the staff.......

1 minute ago, dasi11 said:

We were told this was a charge for the whole ship and did nor really cover the tip to the waiter, asst. waiter, room attendant, and Butler, etc.  I was really shocked. 

This is news to us as well.  While we have always pre-paid ours so I never looked to see if it was a daily charge like other cruise lines.  Guess I now know. 

I was just thinking this morning that  have never seen a gratuity breakdown for MSC like I have for other cruise lines.  I wonder who does get the gratuities if not the people who we interact with on a daily basis?

On 7/20/2024 at 10:08 AM, Beaver1975 said:

Outside of the US gratuities are included in cruise fare.

Not. I sailed on MSC Euribia last December from Southampton to other European ports and €84 per passenger was added to our Onboard Account.

We've always viewed the daily service charges like resort fees at a land-based property. We separately tip individuals for excellent service at both types of properties in addition to the daily charges/fees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dasi11 said:

We were told this was a charge for the whole ship and did nor really cover the tip to the waiter, asst. waiter, room attendant, and Butler, etc.  

Somebody lied to you. Certainly it does cover all tips. Especially waiters and Tom attendants.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Not. I sailed on MSC Euribia last December from Southampton to other European ports and €84 per passenger was added to our Onboard Account.

I think the person meant if you purchased through the  country's site.  If you booked on the English site, it would be included. I suspect you booked through the US site, perhaps?

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JAGR said:

I think the person meant if you purchased through the country's site.  If you booked on the English site, it would be included. I suspect you booked through the US site, perhaps?

That's correct. Booked on the U.S. website.