Oceania vs. MSC Yacht Club

ak1004

8 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@Russiamomm

Bummer, we board Marina in Lisbon to sail her back to Miami. Caught a great Sale offer a couple months ago that got us a PH and the 12 day TA for the cost of our Biz Class flight home. DW says it was a NO BRAINER, TA won hands down. 👍🙏🛳️😇

Mauibabes 

No problem if it wasn’t addressed to me!  But that was our exact reasoning for taking the QM2 to meet the O trip.  My husband hates to fly and the cost of the cruise was half the price of two business class to Oslo.  As you said, it was a no brainer - as long as you have the time.

• Like 2

QM should be an interesting and different vibe but since Marina will be your first Oceania cruise, it will be really interesting to get your impressions while on board. I hope you have a long list of highly rated menu items that must be tried in all the restaurants. Specialties, GDR, Aquamar, Waves.  If you do not have a list started, you better start soliciting recommendations asap. 

Simple one to start, just remember Humphrey Slocumb for ice cream 🤪🙏 

Next? 
Mauibabes 

10 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

QM should be an interesting and different vibe but since Marina will be your first Oceania cruise, it will be really interesting to get your impressions while on board. I hope you have a long list of highly rated menu items that must be tried in all the restaurants. Specialties, GDR, Aquamar, Waves.  If you do not have a list started, you better start soliciting recommendations asap. 

Simple one to start, just remember Humphrey Slocumb for ice cream 🤪🙏 

Next? 
Mauibabes 

LOL.  We’re actually going to be on Serena.  It’s an 18 night cruise.  We have our specialties booked, but will have plenty of time to try just about everything.  Can’t wait!

Sierra, OK, personal faves,
Red Ginger:

Watermelon Duck Salad, Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass, Rack of Lamb, Teriyaki Beef/Filet Mignon

Tuscan Steak:

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Waldorf Salad, Filet Mignon M/R, Rib Eye, Prime Rib and eat steak in a Specialty and not is other restaurants, Filet of Dover Sole on the Steak or Italian menu, Lasagne, Any Pasta Special that night

GDR:

When tired of the rich foods, go for Jacques Chicken, 

That is our quick list so we will let others add their opinions. 

Mauibabes

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry Jan.  I have zero interest in that concept.

I have to ask.  Why?  As stated earlier, I absolutely love the concept.  Best of all worlds.  😃

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

LOL.  We’re actually going to be on Serena.  It’s an 18 night cruise.  We have our specialties booked, but will have plenty of time to try just about everything.  Can’t wait!

Russiamomm, on 10 August I’m embarking Sirena in Oslo for an 18-day cruise. When is your 18-day cruise on Sirena?

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

Russiamomm, on 10 August I’m embarking Sirena in Oslo for an 18-day cruise. When is your 18-day cruise on Sirena?

Looks like we’re shipmates!  We’re on the same cruise.  😃

We leave on the QM2 out of NYC to Hamburg a week from today. We’re taking an overnight ferry from Kiel to Oslo and will spend three days in Oslo before boarding the Sirena.  Really looking forward to the trip.  See you onboard!

Just now, Russiamomm said:

Looks like we’re shipmates!  We’re on the same cruise.  😃

We leave on the QM2 out of NYC to Hamburg a week from today. We’re taking an overnight ferry from Kiel to Oslo and will spend three days in Oslo before boarding the Sirena.  Really looking forward to the trip.  See you onboard!

Great See you onboard!

Sign up for the Meet&Greet. I wasn’t able to include a link to the Roll Call for our itin in this post. Must be a “crowdstrike” issue. 🙃

Pls introduce yourself on the Roll Call and sign up for the M&G!

CU soon!

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

Great See you onboard!

Sign up for the Meet&Greet. I wasn’t able to include a link to the Roll Call for our itin in this post. Must be a “crowdstrike” issue. 🙃

Pls introduce yourself on the Roll Call and sign up for the M&G!

CU soon!

I’ve looked at the roll call but haven’t posted. Really need to do that.  Thanks for the reminder!

49 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I have to ask.  Why?  As stated earlier, I absolutely love the concept.  Best of all worlds.  😃

“Best?” (of ALL worlds)? On a cruise ship? I’m guessing you’ve got fairly low expectations.

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“Best?” (of ALL worlds)? On a cruise ship? I’m guessing you’ve got fairly low expectations.

Seriously?  Maybe I do have low expectations, but they’ve always been met.  

Are you going to answer the question?  What exactly is your issue with the concept of a “ship within a ship” on a mainstream line?  

8 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

... What exactly is your issue with the concept of a “ship within a ship” on a mainstream line? 

While I think the words "mainstream line" obfuscates the issue a bit, a joy of sailing on O ships is that there is very little "class" segregation. A spirit of "equality" tends to exist. We ALL eat in the same specialty restaurants and in the TC and GDR. We're all on the cruise together, regardless of whether you're in a G cabin, B cabin, PH, or suite. So just feels like "one ship". One group of cruisers enjoying a cruise together.

I suspect that "ship within a ship" works best, assuming it works, on the GIANT ships. Where one can build in the segregation. The mega-ships aren't for us. Whether just thinking about how crowded they are or how limited they can be in where they can go.

So I prefer "equality" on a smaller ship. Not segregation on a mega-ship.

• Like 3

@Russiamomm @PhD-iva

R Momm, you lucked out to be doing your first O cruise with Robin. We worked on  a M&G with her on Riviera with our friend Bruce coming out of Covid if my memory serves me. You guys will have a great cruise and she definitely knows the Oceania drill. 

Mauibabes

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

While I think the words "mainstream line" obfuscates the issue a bit, a joy of sailing on O ships is that there is very little "class" segregation. A spirit of "equality" tends to exist. We ALL eat in the same specialty restaurants and in the TC and GDR. We're all on the cruise together, regardless of whether you're in a G cabin, B cabin, PH, or suite. So just feels like "one ship". One group of cruisers enjoying a cruise together.

I suspect that "ship within a ship" works best, assuming it works, on the GIANT ships. Where one can build in the segregation. The mega-ships aren't for us. Whether just thinking about how crowded they are or how limited they can be in where they can go.

I can certainly understand this perspective and am looking forward to our first small ship “premium/luxury” line.  It will definitely be different than what we’re used to,  

You are right that the concept does work best on the large mega-ships.  But again, that’s the double-edged sword.  The big ships come with crowds, yes, but they also come with more activities/entertainment.  There was a time in our lives we swore we’d never get on any cruise ship.  Obviously our preferences have evolved.  We love the variety of entertainment on those ships.  But we also enjoy the relative quiet  and exceptional service of the Haven.  To us, it’s really no different than flying first class vs. economy.  On occasion I have felt guilty walking to the front of the line, but then remembered to remind myself that I paid for that privilege.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

You nailed it! Thx!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

I can certainly understand this perspective and am looking forward to our first small ship “premium/luxury” line.  It will definitely be different than what we’re used to,  

You are right that the concept does work best on the large mega-ships.  But again, that’s the double-edged sword.  The big ships come with crowds, yes, but they also come with more activities/entertainment.  There was a time in our lives we swore we’d never get on any cruise ship.  Obviously our preferences have evolved.  We love the variety of entertainment on those ships.  But we also enjoy the relative quiet  and exceptional service of the Haven.  To us, it’s really no different than flying first class vs. economy.  On occasion I have felt guilty walking to the front of the line, but then remembered to remind myself that I paid for that privilege.  

I agree with you 100%.

As this will be our first "ship within ship" experience, I have no idea if this will work for us. Maybe it will, and maybe we will continue sailing on O but also on ship within ship. I know many people who do both and enjoy both, for different reasons. 

There is no right and wrong here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's perfectly okay. What is not okay is when people think that their opinion is the only one that matters and talk down to people who have different opinion.. 

O is our favorite line, but sailing with O in the Caribbean was just boring. Yes, excellent service and food, but not much to do the whole day.  Hopefully YC will be better in terms of entertainment and activities and yes, I see it as the best of both worlds, at least on paper. Maybe the reality will be different. I'm just wondering about all those people who dismiss the whole concept - have they even tried it? 

P.S. I never felt guilty when walking to the front of the line on business class flight or walking into O or SS ship with one of those behemoths docking nearby. Lucky and fortunate - yes, but not guilty. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

There is no 100% equality even on smaller ships. Suites still have some perks that regular cabins don't. Yes, more equality than on larger ships, but why does it matter? Do you seek equality when flying business class?

Equality existed (at least on paper) in the former USSR. We all know how it ended. If you pay more, you get more. This is the reality in every area in life.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ak1004 said:

... There is no 100% equality even on smaller ships. ... If you pay more, you get more. This is the reality in every area in life.

IF only you'd focus on the core concept I was actually discussing: "A spirit of "equality" tends to exist." This "spirit" is experienced by the interactions on the ship. In the specialty restaurants, in the pool, in the lounge, during a lecture, even in an elevator, etc.

9 hours ago, ak1004 said:

... Do you seek equality when flying business class?

Classes, segregation, exist on airplanes because the airline creates it. Not all did or do. Have you flown on say a Southwest 737? Either now or back in the day?

And we know why airlines create the various classes. To maximize their profits. You pay a lot more to get a little more. They pocket the difference as profit.

And, no, I don't ever fly business class or 1st class. We're both in the same airplane going to the same place. In a relatively short period of time. I'd rather save the money for the destination.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Classes, segregation, exist on airplanes because the airline creates it. Not all did or do. Have you flown on say a Southwest 737? Either now or back in the day?

And we know why airlines create the various classes. To maximize their profits. You pay a lot more to get a little more. They pocket the difference as profit.

And, no, I don't ever fly business class or 1st class. We're both in the same airplane going to the same place. In a relatively short period of time. I'd rather save the money for the destination.

Southwest is the poster child for no classes on an airplane.  Yes I have flown them and never will again. Just to save a couple of bucks, no thank you! Their IT department has serious flaws but I won't get into that here. 

It's a personal decision on how someone wants to spend their money and sometimes that decision is to fly business class. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

IF only you'd focus on the core concept I was actually discussing: "A spirit of "equality" tends to exist." This "spirit" is experienced by the interactions on the ship. In the specialty restaurants, in the pool, in the lounge, during a lecture, even in an elevator, etc.

Who prevent you to go to the same lecture on MSC?

How about private Executive Lounge on Oceania with access to suite guests only? Or Aquamar Spa Terrace?

So again, there is no equality on any ship. Only different levels of inequality. 

As they used to say in the former USSR, all people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

btw, do you really believe that guests in the Owner suite or Vista suite get the same service as guests in lower cabins? Lets not be naive.

55 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Your money, your decision. Nothing wrong with that. As it's my decision to never fly in economy on flights longer than 5-6 hours. To you it's "to get a little more". To me it's a game changer. My money, my decision. Don't need to justify to anyone. 

We fly business class, but at the same time don't feel the need to book anything higher than OV on the ships. Matter of priorities.

And yes, any business is trying to maximize their profits. Is it new to you?

• Like 5

A "ship within a ship" can be a very good thing. I'll use my example. 

We haven't been on NCL Haven but we've been on Royal Caribbean in an upper suite. They sound similar. There is a suites lounge, restaurant and sun deck and pool.  It is quiet. It's a nice way to spend some time away from the crowds and noise of the rest of the ship.  Next year we are going on an Alaska cruise on Royal Caribbean with our adult children, their spouses and 4 grandchildren, ages 7-13. There is something for everyone on that ship. We, the grandparents, will spend some time in the quiet suites lounge, etc and the adult children and young grandchildren can go and have fun with all the activities. We'll probably join them on the bumper cars. The entertainment on the big ships is excellent and it's something we'll all enjoy. 

There is no way we'd be able to do all that on an Oceania ship. 

• Like 4

So... to go back to the original question of my topic..

I didn't ask if the concept is appealing or unappealing "for all of the obvious reasons".

I didn't ask if people seek "equality".

And I didn't ask if the price is good..

What I'm mostly interested in is comparison of service and food between YC and Oceania, specifically Oceania newer ships, and also the general feel, entertainment, activities etc.. And I'm interested in opinions from people who actually tried both.. not those who find it unappealing without even trying it..

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1