On the Pursuit - The Kimberley Coast, Indonesia & PNG - and a really keen choo-choo train!

Last Kimberley zodiac stop was King George River.  Normally there are twin waterfalls, but of course we’re in the dry season, so more of a twin trickle.  But the fabulous rock formations are probably a geologist’s dream.  Also, second croc sighting.

IMG_0643.jpeg.37f5d7e14b7de16d5a74aa5b619555d1.jpeg

IMG_0642.thumb.jpeg.74e12a3ded25f4377716fdf3d5eac8fc.jpeg

IMG_0641.thumb.jpeg.7f560dc43fcb0099f9b930281f9c6af1.jpeg

IMG_0640.thumb.jpeg.45e4e6392c1c2560923772a61ea6754e.jpeg

• Like 3

Going back to King George River, here’s an internet photo showing what the falls look like during wet season.   Then, how it looks now.   Also, another snake.  Of the terrestrial variety.

IMG_0646.thumb.jpeg.6f79b6235d2d7a7ee5395627d73f5452.jpeg

IMG_0651.thumb.jpeg.b7b51040038bfd7e216a61480f9307b7.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks so much for the info!

7 hours ago, shark b8 said:

The rep at the Square confirms that everyone, passengers currently onboard and those who will board tomorrow, will only be able to board (or re-board) after 4:00p.  Seems like that might make things a little messy but we shall see.  And I mentioned Customs as the reason, the letter (below) actually says it’s Immigration.  Still think it’s curious to require an Immigration appearance for current passengers when the ship has only sailed within Australia, but what do I know.  🤷‍♂️

IMG_3432.thumb.jpeg.9b1b64c823a4fd4e34ca2354844aeff2.jpeg

22 hours ago, sanne said:

We are on this cruise next year so am really enjoying your photos and reports. Are there any restaurants or tours we need to book? 

Well, this one is, of course, very expedition-y.  Meaning, there was only one stop that involved an actual port, or an available shore excursion - Kuri Bay. And that was essentially just the Paspaley Pearl place. We opted for the seaplane experience - it was a lot of fun but I kinda wished that there had been headphones for all to wear, with the pilot giving interesting info about what we see (as with most helicopter “flightseeing” experiences, etc).  We spent ~20 minutes flying and it was great fun (tho not cheap) - would have been more interesting with some commentary, imho. On the Kimberley coast, that was the only available tour/shore excursion.

Other than that day, the activities are daily zodiac cruises - a couple of them being “wet landings” so make sure to bring some footwear that you don't mind getting wet.  And the available restaurants are all…onboard!

• Like 3

We’ve now said “hooroo” to Australia, sailed away from Darwin, and will have two sea days before our first call to Indonesia, Minsuar Island.  I’ll maybe take a look back at photos over the last few weeks and see if there’s anything I neglected to post.  Other than that, might be a little quieter than usual here, until we crank up new adventures.  In the meantime, questions/alternate commentary encouraged!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh, sea days floating in tropical waters, yay.  Enjoy!

Just curious if you have anything planned for Honiara. Or is it a charter out straight away? Debating what to do on our stop there.  Not keen on the bus tour offered by Seabourn, or any bus tour for that matter.😅

Seabourn has canceled scuba on our upcoming trip.  Is it still being offered on yours?

Hello Shark B8!  

Thank you so much for sharing your trip along the Kmberly coast.   We are booked for this trip nest July 25, 2025.   It has been very helpful to learn what to expect.   

For an alternate commentary, I am wondering if you booked all of your pre and post cruise flights, hotels, etc with Seabourn or independently?  

Maybe we can email so as not to distract from your trip journal.

kimmccalmon At gmail.com

Thank you!

Kim

17 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

….if you have anything planned for Honiara. Or is it a charter out straight away? ……Seabourn has canceled scuba on our upcoming trip.  Is it still being offered on yours?

Great minds…..I asked a Square rep this morning if he knew the schedule for Honiara - whether there’s time to do Guadalcanal (or anything else) or whether we go pretty much straight to the airport to fly to Sydney.  He said he’d look into it but then we got otherwise distracted elsewhere, I’ll track him down again & get an answer.  No scuba.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GrandCru said:

…I am wondering if you booked all of your pre and post cruise flights, hotels, etc with Seabourn or independently?

We’ve always done our own pre-and-post stuff ourselves, I’ve sort of always assumed that we could be more thorough at finding what works best for us, as far as cost/timing/logistical options are concerned.  I have been made aware that if Seabourn does your air and you run into a big problem (late flights requiring re-booking, etc), then it’s up to Seabourn to make the changes and get you there, whereas obviously if the same thing happens to you with your own plans, you’re on your own to solve it. 

*Finally*!  We’ve been in very flat waters for the last couple of weeks, but as we head across the Arafura Sea to Indonesia, things have gotten slightly more interesting - although I didn't hear the Captain’s weather/condition announcement this a.m. reporting surge height.  I just always *like* to be reminded frequently that we’re not in a hotel.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

[Cap’t Sharkbait stares at soup, frowns].   I called the maitre

d over asked (somewhat whimsically) “so, did the the chef run out of Gruyère?”  He said “yes, I’m afraid he did”, and walked away.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Well……French onion soup without *any* cheese is sorta like a cheeseburger without a burger, or so sayeth me.

The couple at the table closest to us overheard the conversation and commiserated, they had the same experience.  

First of all, if you’ve run out of cheese but are still selling French onion soup, you oughta tell people that when they order.  If the shortage occurs in the middle of preparing/serving it, you *also* oughta tell people that before you plop it down in front of them.  Don’t think this one is complicated.

grrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Also, said couple near us said they waited for their main course for an *hour*, and that they finally got their lobster tails, which they said were dry and cooked to death.  Obviously on this one I’m just second-hand reporting and can’t verify their opinion.  Just sayin’.

• Like 3

It just smacks of “maybe we can just serve the cheese-less soup and hope no one notices”.  Underestimating your high-end clientele is rarely a winning strategy, seems to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

It just smacks of “maybe we can just serve the cheese-less soup and hope no one notices”.  Underestimating your high-end clientele is rarely a winning strategy, seems to me.

Another victim of a cruel gruyere-less French Onion Soup. My sincerest condolences. Lovie is also a big fan and has suffered similar indignities. 

We try and remind ourselves before sailing:

All broth soups are the same with slight flavoring modifications.  That FOS will be tomorrow's Hot and Sour.

Menu descriptions are like newspaper headlines. They may or may not describe what's ahead.😅

• Haha 1

Well, at the risk of going on waaaay too long about [gasp] soup…  🙄…..it’s not like it only lacked a little garnish, or some insignificant ingredient or something.  I mean, a large part of the whole point of French onion soup is that melty oooey-gooey, crème-brûlée-torched layer of Gruyère.  Like a BLT without the B.  Or the L.  Or the T.

Anyway, at lunch today the Colonnade brass all approached me, very apologetic, very solicitous.  The Chef de Cuisine came out and asked what he could do to “make it up” to me, I told him if he schedules another Indian Market Dinner in the next 2 weeks, all is forgiven.  We all laughed it off, I mean, in the scheme of things, this sort of thing is the nadir of “first world problems”.  

• Haha 3

Forgot to mention - in Darwin we did an informal walking tour, which included three different restaurant stops (and some tastes at each one), as well as a mention of the street art as we walked around.  I would say it was all pleasant enough, but not legendary by any means. 

IMG_0712.jpeg.7cb3a12530c88825916d97f957aca4b4.jpeg

IMG_2024-08-15-120102.thumb.jpeg.c50e7f7009bc7e243b4f29a662493306.jpeg

IMG_0711.thumb.jpeg.f086d462ff1691e102e65ff748d30be1.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg.d6c4679401bb701c3984122125c039b3.jpeg

• Like 2