PHEV charging in and around Iceland

Going to Iceland a few days ahead of our cruise departure to see more of the country and Hertz has a good deal on a PHEV.  The plan is to spend one night in Reykjavik the day we arrive and see some of the golden circle sites, then overnight in Vik to see the glacier lagoon, black sand beach etc and then head back to Reykjavik for a few more days. One night in a hotel, one on the ehip.  I am not at all familiar with any of the EVs so does anyone here know how hard it is to find a place to charge a PHEV outside of Reykjavik?  And what about a charging station near the port?

5 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I would check with your planned lodgings to see if this is possible

That is on top of my liist for this morning, once I get my grandchildren to camp.  Thanks.

On 7/22/2024 at 4:17 AM, Mr. Click said:

Going to Iceland a few days ahead of our cruise departure to see more of the country and Hertz has a good deal on a PHEV.  The plan is to spend one night in Reykjavik the day we arrive and see some of the golden circle sites, then overnight in Vik to see the glacier lagoon, black sand beach etc and then head back to Reykjavik for a few more days. One night in a hotel, one on the ehip.  I am not at all familiar with any of the EVs so does anyone here know how hard it is to find a place to charge a PHEV outside of Reykjavik?  And what about a charging station near the port?

You can charge the car at N1 and Oli service stations. You will find these all over Iceland and they have shops and cafes attached, so you can charge while having a break from driving. We haven't been to Iceland since 2019, but cost of charging was not much different to fuel, so we didn't bother and just used the petrol engine in the hybrid.

It's still a long drive from Vik to Jokulsarlon for the Ice Lagoon, and there are some scenic stopping points on the way. If you haven't booked your accommodation already you might want to consider staying over at Jokulsarlon for the night -  Hali Country hotel used to be closest but there are a couple of newer hotels there now including a Fosshotel.

Thanks Shimrod.  The hotel in Vik said they have one charging station and there is one other about 15 minutes away so more and more I think I will just go with a regular car. 

Vik seems like a good place to stop for the night for us after an arrivale night in Reykjavik, then out along some of the Golden Circle ending up in Vik for the night. Then up to the glacier lagoon and all that there to see along the way before the drive back to Reykjavik for one more night before we board our ship.

2 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Thanks Shimrod.  The hotel in Vik said they have one charging station and there is one other about 15 minutes away so more and more I think I will just go with a regular car. 

Vik seems like a good place to stop for the night for us after an arrivale night in Reykjavik, then out along some of the Golden Circle ending up in Vik for the night. Then up to the glacier lagoon and all that there to see along the way before the drive back to Reykjavik for one more night before we board our ship.

I would suggest a golden 'semi-circle' on the way out- Thingvellir, Geysir, Gullfoss and Kerid on the way out before getting to Vik for the beaches. Drive time to Jokulsarlon is an optimistic 2.5 hours if you do it non-stop, but there are plenty of places where you might want to stop for scenery along the way.

Expect at least a 5 hour drive back to Reykjavik from Jokulsarlon, but that's when I would recommend the other half of the golden circle and taking in Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss as you have to drive past them on the way.

It's going to be a lot of driving - assuming you're flying in, it's an hour from the airport to Reykjavik.

That is pretty much waht the plan in is.  We are flying in the day before we start the circles figuring that we need that much time to just look around and get some rest after two 5 plus hour flights