Specialty Dining Reservation Required?

We are sailing on Encore for the Transatlantic cruise in December.  Our final payment is coming up in a couple of weeks but we are still uncertain if we are going keep or cancel the specialty dining perc we got when we booked  We have read and listened to You Tube videos where the reviewers say the food is just so-so in the specialty restaurants and on par with the main  dining room. What we thought we might do is take them and use them instead of going to the buffet  when the dining room menu isn't to our liking.  Of course since we don't know in advance what the menus are going to be, this means we could not make advance reservations but we would essentially just be walking in and trying to get a table.  Sure, I know it is a foolhardy idea but I was just wondering if anyone had ever had any luck with a walk in?  Thanks for your help.

Reservations are suggested but are not required. More than half of the reservations open up on embarkation day. Even if reservations seem full now, there are more reservations available. 

I suggest looking at the specialty restaurant menus to see if there are items that interest you. From there, decide if the SDP promo is worth it. 

1 hour ago, dglass4321 said:

We are sailing on Encore for the Transatlantic cruise in December.  Our final payment is coming up in a couple of weeks but we are still uncertain if we are going keep or cancel the specialty dining perc we got when we booked  We have read and listened to You Tube videos where the reviewers say the food is just so-so in the specialty restaurants and on par with the main  dining room. What we thought we might do is take them and use them instead of going to the buffet  when the dining room menu isn't to our liking.  Of course since we don't know in advance what the menus are going to be, this means we could not make advance reservations but we would essentially just be walking in and trying to get a table.  Sure, I know it is a foolhardy idea but I was just wondering if anyone had ever had any luck with a walk in?  Thanks for your help.

The Free a Sea dining is a gift. Use it. The specialty food is far superior to anything you would get in the MDR. The fake new youtubers you are watching are just wrong. Don't believe everything you see on the internet. 

All of the Specialty dining should be open in December. There may be a little construction clean up still going on  (since you will be on the ship as she leaves an extended dry dock with extensive modifications to the ship). 

On a longer voyage, it will be easier to get into restaurants if you just want to try and walk in. There will be nothing, at all, at the MDRs that would be a "must have". 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

We were on the Viva (loved the ship) in Nov 23, and when the MDRs had a longer than a 30 min wait, we walked right into 3 speciality restaurants with no problem or wait. Cagney's, Los Lobos and Onda, as a group of 4.   BTW, we are booked on the Encore TA going east into dry dock this Nov. Our first TA, and plan on doing the same when it comes to making, or not making reservations. 

Edited by ccnel

on my last cruise in Feb, on Bliss, there was a daily light up board that would give you an idea of how many open tables and times available at all the specialty restaurants.  You can walk up to any restaurant you decide on the day you choose and ask for a table.  You might be seated right away, or you might be told to come back at a later time.  If you are an early eater ( like before 6:00pm), you probably have a better chance of getting right in.  IMO, the only specialties I enjoy are  Moderno ( not on all ships), and Le Bistro.

Agree with Bird, use the perk, decide for yourselves after dining. The perk is a really inexpensive way to try. Most only give you 2 meals, select restaurants that appeal to you. I do recommend reservations but as some have said they did get walk in too. With walking in dining early or later may be the best options.

I agree with those who have said to use the perk. The service charge is minimal and both the food and the experiences have always been very nice for us. We just did a 14-day transatlantic cruise (on the Getaway) in April/May and received three specialty dining credits. We ate at La Cucina, Moderna, and Cagney's. The first two were both very good, but Cagney's was outstanding. We are going on a 9-day Alaska cruise in October and I've already made reservations for the two specialty meals . . . and both for Cagney's this time, haha!

It's easy to make select reservation times online prior to embarkation, but like Two Wheels Only said, more reservations open up on embarkation day and you can go to the designated location to make reservations then too. We pre-reserved online and then checked for (and got) better days and dining times on embarkation day. Good luck and enjoy! 

I had no problem making a reservation for myself on the day of, a couple hours before the time at least twice. I went solo and met a nice group of fellow solos and we were able to make a reservation for 9 of us within an hour of dining. I think you will be fine.