First cruise with my 9 year old

Tina80

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

The OP simply does not have the time to both ferry to/from Positano and have a reasonable stop at Pompei on the same day. 

The OP will be aware of that, and from the multiple threads posted appears to be  for now  weighing up the pros and cons for the different sightseeing options for this one day stop to help her(?) make a decision. The adult #1 preference was to visit Positano itself, not just to take a photo from the main road above and is looking for a way to visit in person which would be allowable and now thinks that Royal Caribbean coaches would be the exception to local laws.. The local public buses would not be advised when on a ship but would be on a land trip.

The only other option would be a small group private tour, but given how busy that stretch of road is  even in early October, and to get back to the ship on time,that would mean spending the majority of the day in a van.

I would also suggest that the OP use some of the extra days at the start to stay in a hotel in the Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi  area and explore more of it with the extra days, rather than stay in Rome.  Rome to Naples used to be an easy enough transfer but whether it still is I do not know.  Info should be found online.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

The OP will be aware of that, and from the multiple threads posted appears to be  for now  weighing up the pros and cons for the different sightseeing options for this one day stop to help her(?) make a decision. The adult #1 preference was to visit Positano itself, not just to take a photo from the main road above and is looking for a way to visit in person which would be allowable and now thinks that Royal Caribbean coaches would be the exception to local laws.. The local public buses would not be advised when on a ship but would be on a land trip.

The only other option would be a small group private tour, but given how busy that stretch of road is  even in early October, and to get back to the ship on time,that would mean spending the majority of the day in a van.

I would also suggest that the OP use some of the extra days at the start to stay in a hotel in the Naples/Sorrento/Amalfi  area and explore more of it with the extra days, rather than stay in Rome.  Rome to Naples used to be an easy enough transfer but whether it still is I do not know.  Info should be found online.

Yes, exactly, I have been researching this specific excursion extensively. I contacted a couple of private car services and some of them even guaranteed that we won't miss the ship. Here are my options offered by different private car service companies:

1. Sorrento , Positano Village , along the Amalfi coast, Pompeii - 600 Euros + 18 Euros for Popmeii entrance and 150 Euros for Pompeii guide

2. Naples , Sorrento, and Positano - 750 Euros for a private tour - 99 Euros for semi private tour, max 8 people

3. Positano, Amalfi and Ravello - 99 Euros for semi private tour, max 8 people

4. Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano - 550 Euros

i have no idea which one to pick so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Assuming we do not have a preference to go see a specific place or city, what would be an enjoyable excursion for that port day?

7 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Yes, exactly, I have been researching this specific excursion extensively. I contacted a couple of private car services and some of them even guaranteed that we won't miss the ship. Here are my options offered by different private car service companies:

1. Sorrento , Positano Village , along the Amalfi coast, Pompeii - 600 Euros + 18 Euros for Popmeii entrance and 150 Euros for Pompeii guide

2. Naples , Sorrento, and Positano - 750 Euros for a private tour - 99 Euros for semi private tour, max 8 people

i have no idea which one to pick so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Assuming we do not have a preference to go see a specific place or city, what would be an enjoyable excursion for that port day?

Pick #3.  Ravello is beautiful.  Sorrento is not nearly as interesting as the others. Or for a private tour, pick Amalfi, Ravello and Pompeii.  It is best to have a guide for Pompeii.

22 minutes ago, marazul said:

Pick #3.  Ravello is beautiful.  Sorrento is not nearly as interesting as the others. Or for a private tour, pick Amalfi, Ravello and Pompeii.  It is best to have a guide for Pompeii.

Thanks much, I liked this one too but wasn't sure what will happen if their "minimum of 6 ppl have to sign up" requirement hasn't met on that day

Here is the info I receivedfrom the tour company:

If you wish to share with other participants, we also have a Driver tour which is subject to a minimum 6 persons signing up. The price for this best value for money excursion with only 6-8 guests is 99 Euros only!

Our semi-private tours include:

* Personal pick-up at the start of the tour from the port of Naples (the same pick-up as offered for the ship’s tours) 

* Personal drop-off at the end of the tour - 100% on time to catch your ship

* Touring in a smaller vehicle for minimal walking and better access to sites 

* Touring with a personal English speaking driver-guide  

* Flexible and accommodating service  

* High quality and personal experience in a semi-private/small-group setting (6-8 people)

* Tour duration: 8 hours and always in accordance to your ship docking times

POSITANO, AMALFI & RAVELLO - The Classic Amalfi shore excursion 

If you have been to Pompeii in the past, this shore excursion is a priority for you.

Meet your private driver next to your ship and depart on tour. We will ride along the base of Europe's most famous Volcano, Mount Vesuvius to join The Amalfi coastal road 'One of the most scenic coastal drives in Europe'. The scenery is superb, looking out over the Mediterranean and along the coastline as the road twists and turns its way towards Positano which is considered the Gem of the Amalfi coast. The town of Positano looks like a waterfall cascading down the rocks to the sea. Enjoy fantastic panoramic views from here, and get the chance to take some amazing photos. 

We will proceed into the heart of this Gem town all the way to Piazza dei Mulini. This is the last point accessible by car. You will be given some time to discover this magnificent village. Positano has many attractions to offer: the cathedral, the ceramic shops, its famous lemon products, hand-made shoes and the 'fashion' of Positano. We will return to  the main road  and drive through the fishing villages of Praiano, Furore and Conca dei Marini, passing several wineries and olive factories we will arrive at the coastal town of Amalfi.  The two most spectacular sites to visit here are the cathedral (Duomo di Amalfi)situated along the coast and the paper mill museum.  

After Amalfi, we will visit Ravello. Enjoy this rural village completely unspoiled by tourism, perched on top of the mountain cliff situated above Amalfi and Minori. Ravello, is famous for its breath-taking views, natural beauty and ancient monuments and these are seen at their very best in the stunning gardens of Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo. After this beautiful stop we will head back to port to return you safely to your ship with plenty of time for departure. You are guaranteed a memorable shore excursion for a life time!

9 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Thanks much, I liked this one too but wasn't sure what will happen if their "minimum of 6 ppl have to sign up" requirement hasn't met on that day

Can they turn it into a private tour? Or you can request the same from another private tour operator. They will do what you want. It doesn't have to be one of their set tours.

1 hour ago, Tina80 said:

These are private tours, and what they have suggested is a starting point.  You are in charge and get to pick what you want.  For example, you could choose #1 and simply drop Sorrento to allow more time in Positano or Pompei, which seemed to be your priorities.

33 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

These are private tours, and what they have suggested is a starting point.  You are in charge and get to pick what you want.  For example, you could choose #1 and simply drop Sorrento to allow more time in Positano or Pompei, which seemed to be your priorities.

Yes I realize that and they sent me two more options which I can customize as I wish. But they said the private option for this specific tour is sold out, the only option would be a shared tour but they require at least 6 ppl to sign up

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Can they turn it into a private tour? Or you can request the same from another private tour operator. They will do what you want. It doesn't have to be one of their set tours.

They sent me three option, two of which we coukd customize. This one, the private option has been sold out, pasting from the email they sent me:

For your shore excursion on October 2nd, we can offer you 2 options (subject to availability by the time you confirm):

Option #1 --- Private tour for the 2 of you => THIS TOUR OPTION IS SOLD OUT<=

The price for a private tour with an English speaking Driver-Guide is: 375 Euros per person 

The price includes transportation, petrol, toll roads, parking, and all taxes, and of course your own English speaking driver-guide. 

Private tours can be customized and you may design your own tour.

Option #2 --- Semi-Private excursion (most popular option)

If you wish to share with other participants, we also have a Driver tour which is subject to a minimum 6 persons signing up. The price for this best value for money excursion with only 6-8 guests is 99 Euros only!

Just now, marazul said:

Try a different provider. Check out Rome in Limo or Joe Banana.

Thank you, I have contacted Rome in Limo too, will contact JoeBanana too

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tina80 said:

Enjoy fantastic panoramic views from here, and get the chance to take some amazing photos. We will proceed into the heart of this Gem town all the way to Piazza dei Mulini. This is the last point accessible by car. You will be given some time to discover this magnificent village. Positano has many attractions to offer: the cathedral, the ceramic shops, its famous lemon products, hand-made shoes and the 'fashion' of Positano

It appears that you will stop on the main road above town for a photo op then proceed into the town itself for some free time to self explore. The amount of time isn't specified but you will at least be in the town, which is what you wanted.

You said

I liked this one too but wasn't sure what will happen if their "minimum of 6 ppl have to sign up" requirement hasn't met on that day

You should contact them and ask. You should also ask if your 9 year old child is required to have a car seat or restraint suitable for her height and/or weight (required by Italian law) and if so, can they provide this on the day.

Have you looked for a Roll Call for your sailing? Roll calls are where you would try to find others on your sailing to join you on a tour, also where you might find others looking for people like yourself to join a tour they have arranged.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

It appears that you will stop on the main road above town for a photo op then proceed into the town itself for some free time to self explore. The amount of time isn't specified but you will at least be in the town, which is what you wanted.

You said

I liked this one too but wasn't sure what will happen if their "minimum of 6 ppl have to sign up" requirement hasn't met on that day

You should contact them and ask. You should also ask if your 9 year old child is required to have a car seat or restraint suitable for her height and/or weight (required by Italian law) and if so, can they provide this on the day.

Have you looked for a Roll Call for your sailing? Roll calls are where you would try to find others on your sailing to join you on a tour, also where you might find others looking for people like yourself to join a tour they have arranged.

Thank you for your reply, I contacted them and this is what they wrote back: "

In the event that we don’t reach the minimum needed (we offer best rates for small group tours with expert guides on most tours), we will offer you the option to share with however many do sign up - and it may end up costing more if there are less than the minimum (you will have the option to opt-in or out).

* Please note that if we do not have the minimum number of participants for this tour by 30 days prior to the start of the tour and others do not agree to pay more, then the reservation will automatically be cancelled by our system - please feel free to email me of course any time before then to receive an update on how many we have signed up."

I have already posted several comments on my roll call to see if anyone is interested to share any excursions

Once our ship comes back to the Civitavecchia  port at the end of the trip, we would like to take the train to go to Milan. Trenitalia lets me pick Civitavecchia Porto as well as Civitavecchia.  I looked at the itinerary for out ship, looks like the ship docks at Civitavecchia at 5 AM. How soon after that I should get my train tickets for in your opinion? Thank you

My other question is: If someone is arranging their own private book via another company (not RC) what is the earliest timeslot you pick assuming the ship gets to the dock at 7 AM?

For disembarkation, unless you want to be part of the crowd standing around with your luggage to jump off the ship early, I would plan for a later (as in 9 AM or later) train.  If you don't need to race off to catch a flight, why add unnecessary anxiety to the end of your cruise?

For port days, you might post your question on the RC board to get experience from their passengers.  Some lines hold DIY passengers back and give priority to their own excursions, I have no idea if RC is one of them.

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

For disembarkation, unless you want to be part of the crowd standing around with your luggage to jump off the ship early, I would plan for a later (as in 9 AM or later) train.  If you don't need to race off to catch a flight, why add unnecessary anxiety to the end of your cruise?

For port days, you might post your question on the RC board to get experience from their passengers.  Some lines hold DIY passengers back and give priority to their own excursions, I have no idea if RC is one of them.

Yes, you’re right. We are in no rush. I just wasn’t sure how early people will leave the ship

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There are plenty of people who make risky early flights, you find them lined up at 5 AM trying to be the first off with all of their luggage in tow.  Not a fun place to be, with all those anxious folks.

I could not agree more, thank you for this helpful tip

• 4 weeks later...

I have booked the Rome in a limo private tour and posted a link on the roll call to see if more people are interested in joining. We will be visiting Amalfi Coast, Positano, Amalfi & Ravello. Since I still have time to cancel it, I thought I ask the question here. Is seeing all these beautiful places in a day really worth the traffic, drive around, etc? What places closer to the cruise port would you recommend for that day excursion? We have been to Pompeii already, was hoping to get some advice for a kind of on your own close by activities. Thank you

If you've never been to the Amalfi Coast I can understand the pull to see it, but I prefer the view from the water so I would take a ferry.  Sitting in the back of a car crawling through traffic, with a limited view when there is one, just isn't my idea of a good time.  Lots of folks here swear by it, however.  To thine own self be true, as the Bard says.

There are a couple of dozen things to see/do within walking distance of the port in Naples.

There's also the ruins at Ercolano, devastated by the same volcanic event as Pompei but in a very different way.

Another option is Vesuvio, which you can walk to the top of and peer into the crater.

Yet another, a short train ride from Naples, is the royal palace at Casterta:  Home - Reggia di Caserta (cultura.gov.it)

• Like 1

There's also the ruins at Ercolano, devastated by the same volcanic event as Pompei but in a very different way.

Another option is Vesuvio, which you can walk to the top of and peer into the crater.

I already suggested these two  options back in post #13 but the OP expressed no interest at that time.

If you've never been to the Amalfi Coast I can understand the pull to see it, but I prefer the view from the water so I would take a ferry.  Sitting in the back of a car crawling through traffic, with a limited view when there is one, just isn't my idea of a good time.  Lots of folks here swear by it, however.  To thine own self be true, as the Bard says.

There are a couple of dozen things to see/do within walking distance of the port in Naples.

Yet another, a short train ride from Naples, is the royal palace at Casterta:  Home - Reggia di Caserta (cultura.gov.it)

Thank you so much, these are all great suggestions. I know how much I wanted to visit Positano and other places in Amalfi coast, but as we get closer to the date, I feel less interested due to the long car ride and not being able to actually spend a good couple of days there

26 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I already suggested these two  options back in post #13 but the OP expressed no interest at that time.

Once again, thank you for your great suggestions. We will see which ones I end up selecting. for now, I am open to more ideas.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

That's what I get for being lazy and not going back to see what has already been discussed, to put the question in context.

• Haha 1