best beach and lunch spot for the family?

kaiiak

We will in be St. Martin in early April. We will have one afternoon to go to the beach (on our own) and I was wondering what the best beach was for a family? We will be spending the morning on a tour of the island and going to the butterfly farm, while my hubby goes on the regatta race.

We are looking for a beach where we could do some snorkeling that isn't too rocky, and where there will possibly be other families so our son (10) has someone to play with. I understand some beaches have nudity, and that is fine, I already forewarned him that it is not a big deal.:D

We are also looking for a good lunch place that has local cuisine, not too fancy or expensive.

We will in be St. Martin in early April. We will have one afternoon to go to the beach (on our own) and I was wondering what the best beach was for a family? We will be spending the morning on a tour of the island and going to the butterfly farm, while my hubby goes on the regatta race.

We are looking for a beach where we could do some snorkeling that isn't too rocky, and where there will possibly be other families so our son (10) has someone to play with. I understand some beaches have nudity, and that is fine, I already forewarned him that it is not a big deal.:D

We are also looking for a good lunch place that has local cuisine, not too fancy or expensive.

A couple of suggestions:

Le Gallion Beach is very near the Butterfly Farm and is well suited to children (shallow water, no big waves) BUT it is very quiet (if memory serves there was only one restaurant). There may or may not be other children there.

Orient Beach - Not far from the Buterfly far, and LOTS to do (water slides etc, many restaurants, some shopping. There will definitely be other children there. The beach is long and attractive. There will be the occasional nude person walking by and there will be a fair number of topless women. (I noticed kids just ignored this after they saw their first nude person). Sometimes the waves are big but there is no sudden drop-off - so it is actually pretty safe fun bouncing in them.

Snorkeling - not good at either beach. There is some snorkeling at Orient Beach at the south end in front of Pedro's beside the naturist resort. I don't recollect any at Le Gallion.

There is good snorkeling at Dawn Beach BUT water conditions CAN be dangerous there - I don't recommend it for children.

Archived