Britannia Aft Cabin G728

Tigrou

This is a heads-up for anyone thinking of booking aft view cabin G728.  My advice would be - don’t do it!  (This may also apply to G729, G730 and G731 as the 4 cabins are in a row.)

I booked it because those 4 cabins were the only unobstructed cabins with sofas available.  With hindsight I now know why, and I expect I was the only person stupid enough to pay to choose one of them.  Looking at the deck plan I could see it was over the Live Lounge but thought okay, I don’t mind if I can hear music and it will be at limited times.  Also, having designed the ship to have cabins above this venue they will presumably have incorporated good soundproofing and event timings will take the location into account.  It seems I was wrong on all counts.

The mornings and early afternoons are generally fine but then depending what show is on that night, the rehearsals start mid afternoon.  They can be loud, and repetitive.  Whether or not you plan to attend the show you’ll know the set list very well beforehand.  Then later you can listen to it 2 or 3 times during the evening without having to leave the cabin.  To be fair, usually the rehearsals were much louder than the actual shows (or perhaps by the time of the shows I was acclimatised to it and blocked it out!).  Also I didn’t hear any noise from other events such as bingo.  Although the music was occasionally intrusive, usually I can sleep on the edge of a broken clothes line and it didn’t keep me awake.  

Until one morning when at 2.15am I was woken by a thumping base line which seemed to get louder and louder.  If it had been 2.15pm I may have enjoyed it and been boogying around the cabin, but not in the early hours of the morning!  I phoned reception and expressed my dissatisfaction, and several minutes later it stopped.  Whether that was coincidence or due to my complaint I have no idea.  But it should not have happened - whatever they think of the design, the Entertainment staff should always be aware of venue locations and programme events accordingly.

Unfortunately as well as the noise issue the cabin has another problem in that the balcony is potentially unusable due to soot.  Although the cabin steward regularly cleaned it she was fighting a losing battle.  The balcony floor, chairs and table were constantly covered in soot.  When in port it was okay once cleaned but while at sea it was often like standing in a drizzly rain shower but of soot particles.  Even a few minutes standing outside resulted in having to clean soot off my clothes and out of my hair.  It wasn’t a major issue for me as I prefer to admire the view from inside rather than sitting outside, but it could be a serious disappointment for many people.

The view, by the way, is great.  I enjoyed sitting and watching over the wake of the ship when at sea.  From inside, quietly in the mornings and with varied musical accompaniment for the rest of the day!  But knowing what I do now I would never book this location again.

• Like 1