Back to Back question

gumballz

Can someone tell me if this 'back to back' can be done safely?

Sailing on Celebrity Century (a quick trip that leaves Thursday and comes back Saturday) and then the same Saturday that Century arrives back in port we disembark and get on the Carnival Triumph for a 7 day.

Both ships sail from Miami. The Century is due in at 7 a.m. and the Triumph is departs at 5 p.m. that same day.

What are the risks involved with this type of 'back to back'? I've only read of people doing back to backs on the same ship, never different ships and different lines. We don't want to miss the Triumph cruise...we just thought it might be nice to do a quick cruise to the Bahamas before we take our longer one on Carnival.

Thanks for your input!

The biggest hassles you're going to encounter is the pain of having to pack, unpack, pack and unpack again. A lot of people do B2B on different ships. I don't understand by what you mean when you say "risks". What kind of risks are you imagining? You should ask to be one of the last ones off the Century (because you don't want to have to sit someplace with your bags until it's time to go to the other ship), you do the same things you do for any other cruise like finding your luggage and going through Customs, you find a taxi to take you to the next port, you wait until they allow you to board, and then you start all over. No risks.

The only risk I can see is if the first ship is significantly delayed.

Yes, that's the type of risk I was referring to. I don't want to miss the Triumph cruise because of a delay on Century.

I don't know if I can explain this and make sense or not....but I looked to see what itinerary the Century was sailing after the short one and I don't see anything listed anywhere. If they don't have another one booked with customers waiting on them, they might not have as much of an 'urgency' to return to Miami (although I'm sure they will because if people miss their flights due to returning late, someone's sure to demand a free cruise). Is that anything to be concerned about? Where does the ship go until its next cruise if it isn't immediate?

I don't know when you are sailing, but the Century is scheduled to go on dry dock this year (major revamp, as I understand), so yours may be the last sailing before dry dock. I wouldn't worry about them not having the urgency to get to port in time, as liek someone mentioned, people have flights booked.

I've even have customers taking a 5 day out of Fort Lauderdale (on the Zenith) followed immediately by a 7 day on the Century (out of Miami). they didn't have a problem...

Regards,

Enrique

You have a travel arrangement that needs to be met. While people who miss a flight can always get on the next one, you cannot do that, but the first cruise would not want to cause people to miss their flights and compensate them. A major delay getting to the return port would be caused by the most extreme of circumstances- fires, hurricanes, engine failure, etc. Forget about it. Take the 2 cruises.

And if Century is delayed getting into port because of weather or other related issues, Triumph will be as well. If Century breaks down or has some other kind of delay, then your travel insurance should cover your missing the second part of your trip (or the cost of your catching up w/Triumph). I think you'll be fine - have a great time!

We were sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on the Grand Princess and met a guy and his family who had just gotten off a 7 day Carnival cruise that landed in Miami that morning. He was able to get off that ship and get up to FLL in time to sail with us. :D The arrival and departure times were very similiar to yours....

Archived