Hong Kong shuttle

Arubamoose

We get into Hong Kong at 3 PM.  Our Celebrity coach tour to Victoria Peak doesn't start until 7 PM.

I've read about the free shuttle to Kwung Tong MTR/APM center and calculated it is about a 15 minute ride.

My concern is the return. How often do they run a shuttle back to the Kai Tak Terminal?  

Is there anything to see in that area without having to go too far?

I'm not opposed to having some good food in the vicinity if there is nothing to see/do.

I certainly don't want to stay on the ship for two hours beforehand.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2024 at 12:23 PM, Arubamoose said:

We get into Hong Kong at 3 PM.  Our Celebrity coach tour to Victoria Peak doesn't start until 7 PM.

I've read about the free shuttle to Kwung Tong MTR/APM center and calculated it is about a 15 minute ride.

My concern is the return. How often do they run a shuttle back to the Kai Tak Terminal?  

Is there anything to see in that area without having to go too far?

I'm not opposed to having some good food in the vicinity if there is nothing to see/do.

I certainly don't want to stay on the ship for two hours beforehand.

Thanks!

The Kai Tak cruise terminal is a desserted place and nothing to do inside and far away from shopping areas. The free shuttle takes you to the nearest MTR subway station about 15 minutes away and from there you can do some shopping or take the MTR to head into Kowloon's Tsim Sha Tsui busy area for shopping with lots of eateries. However, the Kai Tak cruise terminal is in an industrial area so there's nothing to see. You can just return to that same MTR station and call a cab to take you back to the Kai Tak cruise terminal instead of waiting for a shuttle back. You can have dinner at the Victoria Peak with a great view of the harbor if dinner is not included in your tour pkg. Good luck and have fun.

• 1 month later...

Tsim Sha Tsui is a busy and happening area. If you prefer something more serene, take the MTR from Kai Tak to Diamond Hill (one stop) to visit Nan Lian Garden and Chi Lin Nunnery. Or you can just walk toward Kowloon Walled City Park. It is about 1 mile from the Kai Tak MTR station. You will encountered plenty of neighborhood shops and restaurants with delicious food.

10 hours ago, qqq266 said:

Tsim Sha Tsui is a busy and happening area. If you prefer something more serene, take the MTR from Kai Tak to Diamond Hill (one stop) to visit Nan Lian Garden and Chi Lin Nunnery. Or you can just walk toward Kowloon Walled City Park. It is about 1 mile from the Kai Tak MTR station. You will encountered plenty of neighborhood shops and restaurants with delicious food.

You forgot to mention it is a 3 miles walk or ride the limited service Citybus 22R from Kai Tak cruise terminal to Kai Tai MTR station.

11 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

You forgot to mention it is a 3 miles walk or ride the limited service Citybus 22R from Kai Tak cruise terminal to Kai Tai MTR station.

I did neglect to mention the journey to/from the cruise terminal and Kai Tak MTR. The reason is YWW had mentioned that portion already and I was just trying to offer an alternative to Tsim Sha Tsui.

Take a cab. You can order (and pay) a taxi by using the uber App in Hong Kong.
Taxis are not really expensive in HK and you can check the price before on the app.

On 10/8/2024 at 10:37 PM, qqq266 said:

I did neglect to mention the journey to/from the cruise terminal and Kai Tak MTR. The reason is YWW had mentioned that portion already and I was just trying to offer an alternative to Tsim Sha Tsui.

In general, 3 days before arrival, Kai Tak cruise terminal will post the Public Transport Services. 

image.png.0299f6b3503d0681b885124a31553df4.png

It varies from ship to ship depending on port time and number of passengers.

Cashless payment on most public transportation in Hong Kong, can download Octopus App for Tourist . Public buses accept most major credit cards and mobile payment platforms. The MTR accepts Visa. Most taxis require cash in Hong Kong Dollars, but phasing in CabCab smart metering system, which accepting cashless payment.

4 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Most taxis require cash in Hong Kong Dollars, but phasing in CabCab smart metering system, which accepting cashless payment.

you can book and pay taxis in HK by using the Uber app. Makes it easy.

19 hours ago, Miaminice said:

you can book and pay taxis in HK by using the Uber app. Makes it easy.

Uber is technically illegal in Hong Kong, because drivers usually do not have a hire-car permit. However, if you book a “Taxi” on the Uber app in Hong Kong (Uber Taxi), it is legal because you are booking Taxis through the Uber app that are in a partnership with Uber. Keep this in mind the next time you book an Uber in Hong Kong.

33 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Uber is technically illegal in Hong Kong, because drivers usually do not have a hire-car permit. However, if you book a “Taxi” on the Uber app in Hong Kong (Uber Taxi), it is legal because you are booking Taxis through the Uber app that are in a partnership with Uber. Keep this in mind the next time you book an Uber in Hong Kong.

Ubers are not available and legal in many cities and countries - Honk Kong, Athens... the list is long.

However, in many of those cities regular taxis can be booked and paid by the app. 

I stated that taxis can be booked and paid by the Uber app in Hong Kong.

Eliminating the problem with cash. I am fully aware that they are regular taxis and no Uber cars.

Edited by Miaminice