Taxis in Istanbul

5 hours ago, matamanoa said:

Does anyone know if taxis are readily available near the main attractions in Istanbul?

There are many "main attractions" in this huge city, but if you mean in the Sultanahmet dstrict, then there should be.

But if you do not already know, driving in Istanbul can be a nightmare as it is notorious for gridlocked and very slow traffic, and usually best avoided andit is much faster is to use the trams as they have their own tracks.  You would also  be wise to read about some of the tricks  Istanbul taxi drivers can use to increase the cost of your ride.

Where is it you would need to travel to and/or from that you might need a taxi? By replying, you should get some helpful suggestions.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

There are many "main attractions" in this huge city, but if you mean in the Sultanahmet dstrict, then there should be.

But if you do not already know, driving in Istanbul can be a nightmare as it is notorious for gridlocked and very slow traffic, and usually best avoided andit is much faster is to use the trams as they have their own tracks.  You would also  be wise to read about some of the tricks  Istanbul taxi drivers can use to increase the cost of your ride.

Where is it you would need to travel to and/or from that you might need a taxi? By replying, you should get some helpful suggestions.

Thank you for your reply.  I am asking for a friend but I'm sure she means the Sultanahmet district.  I've heard about the trams and will pass the info along to her.  My husband and I know only too well how taxi drivers take advantage of tourists in MANY cities around the world and so the tram looks like the wisest way to go.

Barb

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, matamanoa said:

Thank you for your reply.  I am asking for a friend but I'm sure she means the Sultanahmet district.  I've heard about the trams and will pass the info along to her.  My husband and I know only too well how taxi drivers take advantage of tourists in MANY cities around the world and so the tram looks like the wisest way to go.

As trams do not run to all parts of the city, depending on where she is wanting to go, she may well need a taxi.

Where will she be wanting to get to and is it definitely Sultanahmet she wants the journey to begin? And will it be from a hotel or from a particular sight? Is she travelling to one of the airports?

Edited by edinburgher

21 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

As trams do not run to all parts of the city, depending on where she is wanting to go, she may well need a taxi.

Where will she be wanting to get to and is it definitely Sultanahmet she wants the journey to begin? And will it be from a hotel or from a particular sight? Is she travelling to one of the airports?

I thank you on behalf of my friend for all the helpful information you have given.  When I was in touch with her last night she had already set up her plans for her and her husband's day in Istanbul and I'm sure they'll have a great time.

Barb

4 minutes ago, matamanoa said:

I thank you on behalf of my friend for all the helpful information you have given.  When I was in touch with her last night she had already set up her plans for her and her husband's day in Istanbul and I'm sure they'll have a great time.

Thanks butIi don't think I gave any helpful info.  I could have done but the initial question was a bit too vague.

If they have only one day, does that mean they are cruising because there are many many past threads your friends could dip into for info and ideas.  They could choose which to read from these.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=istanbul&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

10 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Thanks butIi don't think I gave any helpful info.  I could have done but the initial question was a bit too vague.

If they have only one day, does that mean they are cruising because there are many many past threads your friends could dip into for info and ideas.  They could choose which to read from these.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=istanbul&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

Yes, they are cruising and in port for only one day.

Istanbul taxis are pretty common, but they can also "take advantage" of naive tourists.  I have previously posted our Istanbul taxi tale.  We have been to that city, many times, on both land and sea.  On one cruise, we docked at the port for an overnight.  DW and I left the ship in late afternoon to go into town for dinner at a chosen restaurant.  We got a taxi at the port and he started to drive us to our destination the "long way."  In fact, it was a very long way which would have more than doubled the metered fare.  After about 15 minutes (taxis do not move fast in the awful Istanbul traffic) we asked our driver to please stop at a police station.  His English was good and he asked, "why?"  I responded that he was going the "long way" and we thought the Police might want to help with directions!  He was not a happy driver and immediately turned in the right direction and took us to our restaurant where we agreed to pay half the fare that was on the meter :).  True story.  

I always suggest that when using taxis in strange places it is smart to use Google Maps (or Apple maps) to track your journey and make sure you are not being taken for a 'ride."

Hank

• Like 2