Departing from LA World Cruise Center – stay near LAX or San Pedro the night before?

We are flying into LAX on a Friday night for a cruise departing on Saturday. LGB flight schedule just doesn’t work for us. We will only have 1 carry-on each person.

We have two options. Which one makes more sense to you?

1.      Stay near LAX and Uber to the cruise terminal on Sat morning (bad traffic?)

2.      Uber to San Pedro and stay near the cruise terminal on Friday night. The traffic should be good?  (after 9pm) The next morning we could either walk to the terminal or use hotel shuttle. 

8 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

If you are arriving after 9PM, I'd stay near LAX.

Traffic should be fine Saturday morning.

We did exactly that a few months back. Landed at 9:30PM, took the hotel shuttle the few hundred yards down Century Blvd to the hotel, so no need to worry about LAX-It that late at night. Cruise morning called an Uber who was 5 minutes away and we were at San Pedro in less than 30 minutes. Added benefit was that the LAX hotel was  cheaper than the Crowne Plaza, Doubletree or any of the Long Beach hotels for that specific date. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a cruise that departs from the LA World Cruise Centre on Sunday, Jan.5, 2025. Plan flying to LA the day before. I have not booked my flight yet.

1) Given I will arrive on a Saturday, is it still better to stay near LAX instead of near the Port?

2) would you know roughly how much it will cost to Uber to the port? BTW, Is Uber the cheapest option to get to San Pedro from LAX?

3) any recommendation on LAX hotel?

Thank you in advance!

13 hours ago, kchys said:

I have a cruise that departs from the LA World Cruise Centre on Sunday, Jan.5, 2025. Plan flying to LA the day before. I have not booked my flight yet.

1) Given I will arrive on a Saturday, is it still better to stay near LAX instead of near the Port?

2) would you know roughly how much it will cost to Uber to the port? BTW, Is Uber the cheapest option to get to San Pedro from LAX?

Thank you in advance!

We last sailed out of SP last February, and that time we did stay at LAX rather than proceeding directly to a hotel near the port as we usually do. This was only because our flight landed very late at night and we didn't want to bother with driving down at that time. There are a bunch of big hotels immediately east of LAX on Century Blvd, some very close to the terminals and their pricing isn't unreasonable. We stayed at the Sheraton, and the Hyatt is even closer. Saturday should be better for traffic than a weekday, but if your flight arrives at any other time than late at night, you'd be better off going directly to a hotel near SP, the area around LAX is a wasteland with little tourist infrastructure. If the usual San Pedro hotels, the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree, are booked up or too expensive for you, look to stay in Long Beach or Torrance.

Sorry, I don't remember what the Uber charge was from the Sheraton down to the port but the Uber fare estimator is usually decently accurate. Note that if you do want to Uber (or taxi) out of LAX, you need to proceed to the LAX-It lot next door, as only the very $$$ Uber Blacks or private limos are able to pick up at the terminals.

Have a great cruise ;o)

17 hours ago, kchys said:

1) I think it is almost never better to stay near LAX. The rare exception would arriving very, very late at night, especially if you've come cross country.

2) Uber is $40 - $60 and it is the best value.

3) No, see above

Check the Crowne Plaza, DoubleTree and Best Western,

4 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

1) I think it is almost never better to stay near LAX. The rare exception would arriving very, very late at night, especially if you've come cross country.

2) Uber is $40 - $60 and it is the best value.

3) No, see above

Check the Crowne Plaza, DoubleTree and Best Western,

Exactly our situation, arriving at T6 at 9:30PM after a six hour flight. I wanted to stay at the easiest and closest decent hotel, so the wife chose the Sheraton, second closest to the terminals after the Hyatt. I remember standing at the terminal for over a half an hour waiting for the Sheraton bus to arrive, and during that time I watched 3 or 4 Hyatt buses drive by. Guess where we are going to stay next time. Another benefit to staying at one of those hotels on Century is the ease of getting an Uber. They're think as flies in the area (ours arrived at the Sheraton in less that 5 minutes) and no need to use LAX-It.

15 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

I used to stay at the Sheraton years ago, but after three, not bad, but not good experiences I dropped the Sheraton for the Marriott LAX.

Agree. It was only OK. We'll check out the Marriott for sure.