Inlet Tower Anchorage

spirit317

I don't recommend the Inlet Towers - although it has good points like large rooms and views, it's just far enough out of downtown so it's hard to walk to anything. There are many choices that work better for visitors wanting to see the town.

Murray

The 4 downtown places I alternate around in Anchorage as the mood strikes are the Comfort Inn Ship Creek (cheap but nice, and beside the salmon creek), the Howard Johnson (probably best total value), the historic Anchorage Hotel (wonderful restored boutique hotel with one of the best pubs in town across the street) and the Westmark (pricey but great views from upper rooms). I also stay at the Sheraton when I want to go upscale but don't need downtown, and the Millenium when "Alaska" and "airplanes!" are what matters. Yes, I do spend a lot of time in Anchorage :D

Murray

The Inlet View is okay if you have a car (which I recommend anyway.) The best espresso/bakery place in town (gourmet-type market) is more or less across the street.

FWIW there used to be a famous high-stakes poker game weekly at the Inlet View when it was private apartments. I never got invited. Thankfully.

Hi Murray... you didn't mention the Hilton or Marriott in your downtown list. Is there a reason? I have reservations for September at both hotels. Just can't decide which to stay at. Can you help?

BTW... We met you a few years ago, just after your dogs had a run in with a porcupine. They're beautiful. How are they doing?

Sandy

Hi Sandy - nice to hear from you again! :D The fur-kids are both doing great - we're a lot more careful now when the porkies start wandering in late July. The Hilton and Marriott are both excellent hotels apparently - I've just never stayed at either (for no particular reason). You'll be happy at either, I'm sure - though the Hilton's view is better if you get the right rooms (north-facing and high), and the rooftop restaurant/bar is wonderful.

Murray

We stayed at the Marriott Anchorage in July 2004...10 days...the hotel is a short walk from downtown area but very doable. The food was better than good and the views were beautiful. The rooms were standard marriott and we had no complaint. The Hilton roof top restaurant was over priced and even though the view was quite good the food was just okay. The service was terrible .No ambiance at all.

The Best meal we had in Anchorage was at the Crows Nest Restaurant at the Captain Cook Hotel. The views are spectacular and the food was fabulous.

Hope this helps.

I bought the book " Alaska for Dummies" It highly recommends going the B and B route in Alaska, particularly in Anchorage. You will save money, get a breakfast, and lots of friendly advice on what to see and do. Some even offer free bicycles for guest use. I can give you names of a few if you wish.

The 4 downtown places I alternate around in Anchorage as the mood strikes are the Comfort Inn Ship Creek (cheap but nice, and beside the salmon creek), the Howard Johnson (probably best total value), the historic Anchorage Hotel (wonderful restored boutique hotel with one of the best pubs in town across the street) and the Westmark (pricey but great views from upper rooms). I also stay at the Sheraton when I want to go upscale but don't need downtown, and the Millenium when "Alaska" and "airplanes!" are what matters. Yes, I do spend a lot of time in Anchorage :D

Murray

Murry, another one you didn't mention is the Hawthorne Suites. We have reservations there on May 28 at a really good rate: $89. Since it includes a breakfast bar, it's a really attractive pate. Oh yes, we'll be coming in on the ARR from Seward that night and flying out early the next morning, so it's really just a place to rest our heads.

I've also made reservations for our last night...June 2nd at a higher rate: $159. Can we do better? Again, we'll be staying just the night. The next morning we do have a rental and will be going out exploring...Thanks as always for your input!

After Memorial Day at $159 is probably dang good for this town. The magic dates seem to be Memorial Day and Labor Day when they all go to their summer rates.

Though I just did check orbitz for 6/2 and the Clarion is coming in at $120. Just read all the cancellation policies. You never know with some of these rates if they are nonrefundable.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I bought the book " Alaska for Dummies" It highly recommends going the B and B route in Alaska, particularly in Anchorage. You will save money, get a breakfast, and lots of friendly advice on what to see and do. Some even offer free bicycles for guest use. I can give you names of a few if you wish.

Oh yes please!! I'm taking Mom with me and this would probably be perfect for us! But, I won't be able to take airport shuttle and we don't plan to rent a car - any within reasonable taxi fare?

Archived